OtakuBoards

Mobile Suit Gundam X

Dagger

As penance for missing the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, I decided to start watching Gundam X. Although I'm not a big Gundam aficionado, I enjoy well-made mecha anime. Thus far X seems more interesting--or, at the very least, easier to follow--than Wing, but the two series have so much in common that it?s hard to avoid comparing them.

The main character, a teenage boy (aren?t they all? :rolleyes:) named Garrod, looks exactly like my vision of Heero and Duo?s illegitimate offspring. Not only that, but his personality is also vaguely like a combination of theirs. The similarity in character designs and general artistic style can be attributed to the fact that the same team was responsible for both Wing and X.

However, X?s basic plot brings to mind Final Fantasy IX: a cute, scrappy, talkative thief rescues and falls for a mysterious dark-haired beauty. Yet like FF?s Princess Garnet, Tifa (Gundam X?s female lead) isn?t your ordinary damsel in distress. She?s resourceful, interesting and doesn?t beat about the bush--but seems rather spacey and only speaks when absolutely necessary. In fact, I can?t quite tell whether or not she?s just a total head case. ^_^;

If you like Wing?s artwork, you?ll also like X?s. Its animation is far from flashy, yet considering when it was made?shortly after Gundam Wing, if I recall correctly?it?s more than adequate. Overall I think this promises to be a pretty decent anime, with solid characters rather than a groundbreaking plot or fancy graphics.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1]I will admit that X has some major positives, but unfortunately the series IMHO is poorly done, its too much like 0083 and conisists of too much pale character impressions. For example, Garrod Ran is a pale impression of Ashta from Gundam ZZ and Tifa is just too whiny (makes some of the other Gundam universe girl's skin crawl.)

I mean yes the combination of Kunio Okawara and Junya Ishigaki are great, but I guess Victoroy Gundam and Gundam Wing were their only big master pieces, teamed up I mean. Yasuo Higuchi is a brilliant music composer and I was actually hoping for a good series with the combination of these three, but I found out that the doomed 39 episode series was actually supposed to be 52 and therefore that definetly sends up a red flag for me, it says that while it may have some good stuff, the script would probably end up going nowhere for quite a bit before picking up, or there would be a lot of clip shows, and yes I loathe clip shows. GW and the others I'll forgive because they only did it once or twice.

Like I said, the music and mecha look awesome, but the plot and characters are just horrible. I mean the script just reminds me of a wannabe original Mobile Suit Gundam, I know SEED was made as that and obviously it has done well, but X just is a testament that most things with Gundam in their name doesn't usually mean that its all good.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I can't brainwash anyone to think what I think. I mean X is not my cup of tea, but for others they would like it. I like Kill Bill and someone I know doesn't, it doesn't mean I'm going to force them to watch it. Anyways, X does have good qualities which I'll give it credit for such as the great mecha designs and the music.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest zackiechan
Is the gundam x series in english or do yall watch in japanese? But if its like GW I am going to watch it. But for seed i rather liked it, I will say it was almost the same as gundam but it is still cool. But I would say all of the gundam series are some of the best animes ever. But my opinion.

[quote name='zackiechan']Is the gundam x series in english or do yall watch in japanese?[/quote]

Gundam X is currently unlicensed. In other words, there's no dub track, and you can only see it by downloading digisubs or purchasing R2 DVDs. The latter method may be inconvenient and incredibly expensive, but it's also considerably more ethical.

Episodes 1 through 21 have been fansubbed by Suteki-Yume; I don't know whether they plan to continue working with the series. With Gundam SEED airing in America, X's chances of coming over here are greatly diminished--it's not flashy enough to compete with a more recent anime, and heaven knows it doesn't have much of an edge in terms of sheer originality.

Besides, if we assume that Domon represents a good portion of foreign mecha lovers, Gundam X's overseas fanbase must be somewhat lacking. That's not exactly a fantastic incentive for companies to spend their money dubbing and releasing it.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]Gundam X is currently unlicensed. In other words, there's no dub track, and you can only see it by downloading digisubs or purchasing R2 DVDs. The latter method may be inconvenient and incredibly expensive, but it's also considerably more ethical.

Episodes 1 through 21 have been fansubbed by Suteki-Yume; I don't know whether they plan to continue working with the series. With Gundam SEED airing in America, X's chances of coming over here are greatly diminished--it's not flashy enough to compete with a more recent anime, and heaven knows it doesn't have much of an edge in terms of sheer originality.

Besides, if we assume that Domon represents a good portion of foreign mecha lovers, Gundam X's overseas fanbase must be somewhat lacking. That's not exactly a fantastic incentive for companies to spend their money dubbing and releasing it.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1]Well, that's not all true. Gundam X may come over here. I mean Gundam Zeta is a lot older. It was released in 1986, and its getting released directly onto DVD this September, Formula 91 was released in 1991. But I'm sure X has a decent following in Japan, I haven't really done a check on that, but no worries. I mean look at some popular animes over in Japan that have yet to hit U.S. shores, such as Naruto, One Piece, and some other ones. Anyways, I think that X might get released over here sooner or late for ye X fans ^_~

I really can't be sure when, but I definetly suggest you watch the website [url=www.mahq.net]mahq.net[/url] This site is the best site to get updates on Gundam Release dates. But again, I think the series has some major positives such as good music scores and good mecha but the characters are boring a big meh for me.. But not everyone shares my opinion, I mean Dagger yourself find the series interesting, and I really can't tell ye what to think. I mean a lot of people think that Turn A Gundam is a crappy series while others think its awesome. What I'm trying to say is that you should watch what you like, I just tend to take things with a little bigger spoon of salt because of what I look for in anime.[/SIZE][/COLOR]