OtakuBoards

Anime magazine subscriptions

dposse

What anime magazine to you subscribe to? Why do you like the magazine? What features of the magazine attracted you to it?

I subscribe to Beckett Anime Collector. I like it because it has all my favorite anime in one magazine. It regulary has Yu-gi-oh, Pokemon, Inuyasha, and Duel Masters. Beckett anime collector has episode guides, Yu-gi-oh and Pokemon TCG card reviews and card combos, and contests that you can enter. It also has anime news, and news about anime that is popular in japan that might come to the US. I guess i like it because of the many things in it. This was the first anime magazine i found. I found it in a supermarket magazine section, and i thought that it looked cool. If i find a better magazine than Beckett, than i will get it. But for now, i will look forward to next month when i get a new magazine.

So, what anime magazine do you subscribe to and why do you like it?

Guest Drizzt
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]I get NewtypeUSA.

It comes monthly at as cost of $90 a year. expensive isn't it o_O but it's about a 200 page magazine, comes with a dvd with at least one full episode and a few trailors, a short manga, Episode Guides of the shows that are on TV, fanart, reviews of games and shows to reviews of anime models and music; the latest issue has 55 reviews and many other goodys.

Same as you, I'd all ways see it at Walmart or a book store and finally I accually bought it and I've been hooked since.[/COLOR]

Well at the moment nothing. But I did subscribe to NewType and Animerica for awile. I loved NewType with its right to left reading style and all its goodies. Such as a DVD with the first episode of a new series and the center folds and posters. But this is not all that NewType ofered to me oh no. There was extensive and indepth articles on the prominet studios in Japan and the thoughts of the staff on anime and where it is going. It also has very good articles on just released anime in Japan and a list of anime that has jsut come out in the states. There is also some other articles that bring a pazaz to the magazine.

Then to Animerica it seems to be a more layed back anime magazine. But still dilvers for your money. And if you dont want to pay such a hefty some for a very awsome anime mag. this is a good alternative.

[color=navy]I've been subscribed to Shonen Jump right from the start, simply because I saw it as something never before done in America (Turns out it has, but I didn't know that at the time)- It replicated, more or less, the enormously popular Japanese magazine of the same title, with manga presented in serial format. Three hundred pages of manga a month for thirty dollars- Quite the deal, eh? I've really enjoyed my subscription, mostly for Naruto, Shaman King and Hikaru no Go, but lately the other titles have been pretty disappointing for me. I mean, I haven't actually read any of the DBZ manga since the third issue, and I've never been a huge One Piece fan, but I've lost all interest in One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Yuyu Hakusho. One Piece just seems very juvenile, in a way, I already know what's going to happen in YYH, simply because I've seen the anime, and in the latest issue of Jump they have a two-part Yu-Gi-Oh! installment about some sort of gang that uses yoyos to beat people up..

Not to mention many of the articles are rather dull. I would like to see more anime reviews, and information about video games that [i]aren't[/i] cheap Dragonball or Yu-Gi-Oh! games. Plus, all of the fanmail is.. Low quality. It almost seems as if Viz took posts from a message board by spammers, got rid of the 1337, and put it in their magazine. Nothing substantial at all. Anime Insider can occasionally squeeze out a half-decent letter, though most of it is still fanboy babble.

I'm probably going to continue subscribing for a while, in hopes that Viz decides to put more good series into SJ (I would have been ecstatic if they had put Bleach and Rurouni Kenshin into the magazine, instead of putting them in Graphic Novel form and labeling the Jump logo on it), but if they put any more series into Jump because there's a butchered dub of the series on TV, I'm probably not going to resubscribe once this one runs out. I'll just buy the Naruto, Shaman King and Hikaru no Go GNs instead. I don't need to waste any more money on Dragonball or Yu-Gi-Oh!, heh.

My brother got a discounted subscription to Anime Insider at Anime Expo 2003, and I must say that it's a much better anime magazine, in my opinion. It has solid (more or less) fanart, more compelling fanmail, and more information on anime outside of popular-among-ten-year-old-boys series. One article in particular stands out in my mind.. A few issues back they had a four or five page article explaining all of the Judeo-Christian symbolism in Evangelion. Even though I knew a lot of it anyway, that was still very cool to me. That's what a magazine I like to subscribe to should be like- interesting articles, useful information, and good stuff to laugh at. Shonen Jump seems to have moved to a more immature demographic that I am far beyond.

I don't subscribe to Newtype, but I do have one or two issues in my room. As cool as the DVD, posters and such are, I feel that Newtype seems to be rather dull in its layout and articles. There certainly are good stories put in there, but in general they don't talk about series that I enjoy, and when they do I can get the same general information from Anime Insider with $60 not spent.

And there's my cold view on anime magazines.[/color]

I think I'll take this opportunity to ask you guys for magazine recommendations. ^_^

I've always been interested in NewType, but it's [i]so[/i] expensive. Granted, you get to preview certain shows, which would definitely help me prioritize my wish list. Since I watch a lot of fansubs, the fact that it discusses anime which are currently running in Japan is also a big plus. Yet I could buy four regular DVDs or a twenty-six episode brick set with the same amount of money, so I'm just not sure that NewType would be worth that sacrifice.

If there was a shoujo version of Shonen Jump, I would definitely consider subscribing to it. The only problem is that I tend to prefer violent, dark shoujo like Banana Fish, Les Bijoux and Tokyo Babylon... somehow I feel that such a magazine would lean more towards mahou shoujo and light-hearted titles along the lines of Hana-Kimi.

Can anybody tell me more about Animerica?

~Dagger~

Guest gendou ikari
I only have one Animerica magazine in my room, and from the looks of it it doesent seem to be worth the money. It mainly covers anime that have already been released in the U.S ( Ok, that's all that it does cover.)But I did enjoy last months covering on Wolf's Rain.

Anyway, I personally don't think that it is worth the money, not more so than newtype. Newtype isn't really as expensive as you make it out to be, that money, for posters, DVD's coverage on unreleased anime, postcards and a mouthful of other stuff.

I subscribe to New Type and I love it.

Like many people here, I subscribe to Shonen Jump USA. I wasn't sure if I was going to like SJ at first so the first few issues I just bought them at the store, read them, and found out their manga selection was quite good with One Piece, Naruto, and Shaman King. They all turned out to be manga titles I really gained a liking towards. After about 3 issues in, i thought it was ridiculous to pay $5 for each issue at stores so I got the $20 subscription for 12 issues which was a really good deal (I had to pay $30 the next time I had to resubscribe but oh well).

While SJ's content outside of the manga is kinda low quality (their anime/video game "reviews" feel more like ads to buy the product rather than being really subjective), this hardly matters to me as I'm only looking at the manga and seeing how well it's translated to English.
I appreciate the fact that they kept the right-to-left format in tact for the US release and try to keep it as unedited as possible although with just a Teen rating, a few things are forced to be cut but it's understandable. I'm glad they added HnG to replace Sand Land at the end of last year. After reading the first 2 chapters of HnG, I really got into the series and went to the liberty of watching all 75 eps of the anime as well. I have recently started watching the Naruto anime as well and it looks great after reading the manga in SJ. I was kinda sad they didn't add Kenshin to SJ which would have made the mag killer to me but oh well, there are other ways to get a hand of RK i guess. I'll prolly continue suscribing to SJ for a while as long as the subscription does not rise above $30 which is quite a bit of money.

I'd like to suscribe to some other Anime mags (such as NewType) as well but don't have the cash to cough up to buy some of that stuff. NewType for $90 a year is insane for me even with all the good stuff it comes with. So yeah, i'll be sticking with SJ for now.

[QUOTE=Drizzt][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]I get NewtypeUSA.

It comes monthly at as cost of $90 a year. expensive isn't it...[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I herd that it was going to get even more expensive; that they were either going to raise the price to $13 a mag or only release a DVD once every 3 months.