OtakuBoards

*Exclusive* Startling SmackDown 3 Info!!!

Charles

Wow, everyone I have to tell you that come November 20th, you are in for a treat. The animation is much improved and the gameplay remains mostly true to the orignal. However, THQ and YUKES had to make some minor cutbacks that I personally found disappointing. I'll make a fun list, since it makes for easier reading.

1)The Roster.
It seems that in order to get the final product out in time for Christmas, THQ had to make some last minute cuts on the roster. Orginally, the game was planned to include, 36+ playable characters. This number has now been cut down to a significantly smaller, yet pleasing number of 6! These 6 stars include: The Rock, Triple H, Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, UnderTaker, and Kane. But who cares? It's not like you would have played as those "other wrestlers" anyway. As a hidden bonus, Earl Hebner is rumored to be included as a special hidden character.

2)Options
Sadly, a lot of the options have been removed. While Story mode, theater mode,create mode, and options appear on the screen, they are not available for selection. Apparently, a lot of match types have been taken out also. Laying on the cutting room floor, are many of the orignal match types promised. It looks like we'll have to wait 'till next year for 128 bit casket matches, ladder matches, and hell in the cell matches.

3)The Arenas
No big deal here. Only the original SmackDown arena is available. But come on, how many of us liked the Raw set anyway? Oh, and all of the backstage areas have been taken out, so that the developers could focus on the in-ring action.

4) Commentators
Contrary to recent rumors, Tazz and Micheal Cole will be present at ring-side. However, they remain strangely silent, and have no announce tables. It turns out that THQ had trouble with wood effects, and opted to just scrap our four-legged friends.

5) Other Cut-backs.
Some other cut-backs include, absolutely NO weapons. It seems that Acclaim's Legends of Wrestling nagged an exclusive license that allows only them to include weapons in their games. Maybe next year guys. A small, unnoticable problem, is that the ropes don't move. But they don't move in real life much either, so who cares? Another surprising cut is that there are no entrances. It turns out that THQ's development time was wearing thin on Raw is War for the X Box. In a controversial move, they sacrificed ring entrances in SD3, so that they could get done their other project. Finally, since there is no interfence in WWF, THQ saw is fit to remove it from the game. Thank you THQ and you too YUKES!!!!

6)The Good
Crowd fighting is still there. Oh yeah, and you can fight outside the ring. Plus, in a spectacular move, THQ decided to keep the tag match option.

7)Overall
I don't really think that the game is worth $50. It does make a good rental though. I'd save my money for Royal Rumble for DreamCast if I were you guys.

yuck who cares, I can't STAND the smackdown system, you can mash your way to a pointless victory, punch punch punch slam, special move and you won. I can't tell if it's more horrible or just as horrible as the wcw nitro system...ugh slow and choppy....makes me want to throw my controller at my TV >=(. I love the other system they had on N64 tho, revenge, no mercy, etc....ah well, no matter how authentic story mode is...ugh I just can't put up with matches u can win while eating chips and dips and reading a magazine or something.