OtakuBoards

The Computer Help Thread

Red

[QUOTE=SunfallE][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I did a quick look in the knowledge base for Microsoft and the only thing it turned up was that it could be this ?MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION? If it is here?s the link to the article on possible causes and how to fix it. [URL=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284/en-us]Article[/URL]

I?ve actually had this happen before and it turned out that one of my memory chips was faulty and had to be replaced. If you have two chips, try removing one and see if you still get the error, if you do replace it with the other one, if the error goes away then the chip you took out is probably faulty. There are other reasons listed on the page as well. Anyway, good luck. ^_~ [/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Thanks for the Help SunfallE! ^^

The error message did run off of the left side of the screen, so there is a distinct possibility that it was MACHINE instead of CHINE.

I'm a tad clumsy myself, so I'm gonna take it back to the shop to have the tech guys have a shufti at the memory chips and whatnot.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, since I know Petie will read this, and that he's a computer guru, he might be able to help. I doubt it though, my computer is really f'ed up.

Okay, time to get things started (this could be long). FIRST THING: My computer hates it when I play video games on it, even some older ones. Why do I say this? Because no matter how low of quality I have the game set to, or no matter how old it is, it WILL lag, to the point where I can't even play the game. But this is only the start of my woes.

NEXT: The lagging of the games happens no matter what, and on and off again, when I start up my computer it sometimes doesn't read all of the things hooked up through my IDE ATA slots, sometimes it will only read 3 of the 4 things hooked up, and other times it might only read 2 of the 4, either way, 2 out of 4 is more rare than 3 out of 4, and the missing device is random. (I currently have 1 K-hypermedia DVD+RW drive hooked up, 1 Seagate 120GB HD, 2 Maxtor 60GB hard drives hooked up.)

CONTINUING: Okay, up until recent, my computer has acted somewhat normally, only a lot of my most basic programs were eating up unnecessarily large amounts of memory and CPU, FireFox usually using the most, followed by Share, iTunes etc.

CONTINUING: NOW we get to today, I get home from work, and turn on my computer as normal, I decide to watch some SNL from my HDTV Wonder capture card, so I turn it on (this has never been a problem before), and it works as normal, but a few minutes later, my computer freezes, and ends up crashing. I reboot my computer, but it takes a few tries to get all 4 devices, and when it loads back up, I have lost internet connectivity, but at least I could watch SNL.

As Lex Luthor put it in Superman Returns: WRONG. A few minutes after starting it back up my computer crashed again, this time, it wouldn't restart it after a few tries, it took about 20 minutes to even get the boot screen to display, and after that, my computer froze upon startup, so I restart a few more times and I've ended up with where I am now, with a computer made of about 80% fail, 18% neutral, and about 2% win.

I hope that what I've described is enough to help aide you to figure out what my problem might be. If you can't figure out what it is, I'm thinking of rebuilding my computer anyways, so...

EDIT: THIS JUST IN!!! Literally about 5 minutes ago my computer suddenly just lost power, as in total wipeout of everything. Took approximately 4 tries to start back up, with the first few epicly failing at detecting my main hard drive (the one containing my OS.) Seriously, my computer is made of fail, very much fail.

EDIT 2: UPDATE AGAIN. So yeah, figured out the problem of the sudden loss of power, it turns out that the fan meant for cooling my power box was stuck and didn't want to turn, so I gave it a little nudge, and it's turning fine now, otherwise I'd be stuck wondering why my computer is always losing power. I remembered that a similar thing happened when I forgot to plug in the fan to cool my CPU and it was doing the same thing, so I remedied that myself, but my computer is still made of >80% fail.

[font=Verdana][color=blue]As I was reading your post, my first thought was rebuild but I hate to suggest something that drastic so soon. So instead, I'll ask a question: are the random undetected devices detected during start up and then not once the OS loads or are they not detected even during boot?[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Also, which computer is this (if I remember correctly, you said you have a Mac and a PC somewhere)?[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=Petie][font=Verdana][color=blue]As I was reading your post, my first thought was rebuild but I hate to suggest something that drastic so soon. So instead, I'll ask a question: are the random undetected devices detected during start up and then not once the OS loads or are they not detected even during boot?[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Also, which computer is this (if I remember correctly, you said you have a Mac and a PC somewhere)?[/color][/font][/QUOTE]
Yeah, they fail to detect pretty much right away during the boot sequence, and are usually not detected once started up. Also, I've had drives just disappear when my computer has already booted, suggesting a connection failure.

And this is in my PC, I have yet to see my Mac crash.

And I am wondering, if this is a hardware problem, could it be with the motherboard?

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Open the case and check the output on the power supply. Then, check the required input on each of the devices. If the total required input of all of the devices exceeds the output of the power supply, that's likely your problem.[/color][/font]

Okay, took me a few days to get off my lazy *** (even though I've been quite busy) and test that. I don't know if disconnecting the main non-essential devices is enough, but that didn't solve the problem, in fact, it didn't do anything, just made me have two less devices.

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Hmm... my only suggestion here before moving on to thinking of a different cause would be to disconnect all non-OS drives (I mean everything - hard drives, disk drives, anything else that requires power and isn't absolutely necessary) and see if the computer starts okay and detects it right away. I'd go through restarting a couple of times for this test.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Following that, maybe add one more device at a time and see how that goes. It really does sound like power could be a problem but it's not definite.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]As for your graphics problem which I neglected last time, do you have the most recent drivers and the most up to date version of DirectX installed? If you do, download the driver/software package anyway, uninstall the card from the device manager, and reinstall. This sometimes fixes issues with graphics cards.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Otherwise, without being able to see it in person, I'm not sure how many options before rebuild you have left though again, I'm not ready to suggest that just yet.[/color][/font]

When I upgraded to Internet Explorer seven a few months ago it started a trend of every time I load it, tons of popup and ads come up. To the point that I have to use the Window?s Task Manger to shut it down and stop all the popups.

I figured it was a virus, or something like that and I?m sure it is, but I?ve tried virus scans with McAfee, I?ve tried the two free online ones recommended here at this site, I?ve tried programs like ad-aware and spybot. And yet in the end, no virus or spy ware is found and the problem continues any time I open that program.

I?ve even tried re-installing it and yet the problem won?t go away. I never really used it a lot anyway, but it?s annoying that it even does it in the first place. Any suggestions? I?m kind of at my wits end as to what I should try next.

We had the same problem on my parents computer. It sounds similiar to the bot that we got. Not sure what type of pop ups your getting but if they contain adult content or advertisements for anti spyware programs chances are you have an embedded bot or some type of spyware. Unfortunately programs like Norton and McAfee are unable to remove these but really only block them as they come in. I tried going into my boot (start up) and .dll files to take them out manually which is hard enough even when you do know what to look for. The only way I was able to get rid of them was to completely wipe the hardrive and reinstall windows. Not likely what you wanted to hear but it will fix the problem :animecry:

I was afraid of that. Since nothing I've done has made a difference. I use firefox most of the time, it's just those few times I actually do use Internet Explorer that I get all the pop ups. They aren't for mature stuff, but for removing spyware. I don't want to re-install everything, unless they start occuring even when I'm not using Internet Explorer.

I do have another question though, does anyone else have a suggestion? And how does this sort of thing happen in the first place? I run a firewall and a anti-virus/spam program anytime I'm on the computer. So is there something else one can do to protect you that I'm missing?

[font=Verdana][color=blue]In the end, you really just have to be careful of what you click. I've been using IE7 for quite a while now and have yet to have a problem like that. Now, I'm not accusing you of anything but the only sure way to keep things like that from happening is to pay very careful attention to what you're downloading and installing.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]My suggestion: create a restore point before installing anything you're not 100% sure about. That way, if something goes wrong, you can always revert back.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Petie][font=Verdana][color=blue]In the end, you really just have to be careful of what you click. I've been using IE7 for quite a while now and have yet to have a problem like that. Now, I'm not accusing you of anything but the only sure way to keep things like that from happening is to pay very careful attention to what you're downloading and installing.[/color'][/font][/quote]I see, then the fact that downloading the new Internet Explorer from what I thought was Microsoft?s official site, may have in fact not been the correct site and I ended up with spy ware instead? Because I rarely download anything, I?m not into that kind of stuff at all. I pretty much use my computer for schoolwork, playing pc games, which are installed off of the disk that comes in the box and browsing the Internet.

About the only serious downloading that occurs is for one of my roommates as I?ve let him down load songs to a CD. Usually every couple of weeks he wants to download some new ones. I assumed it was Internet Explorer since the problem started around the same time I downloaded it.

I can see creating a restore point, but do I really have to reinstall everything to get rid of it? Because I just tried going into the system and having it restore to a previous point and though it says the restoration was successful, the problem still occurs.

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I don't think you downloaded IE7 from an unofficial site - that's not what I meant. [/color][/font][font=Verdana][color=blue]I only mentioned the downloading because that's usually the case. If it's not for you, I'm not sure what to say. Maybe try going further back (a good week before the problem started) and see if that helps?[/color][/font]

I'll give it a shot then, I thought I went back far enough, but I'll go even further. And if downloading is an issue, that will come to an end. It's not like my roomate can't go to his parents house and do the same thing there. I just wish I knew for sure how it got there. Since in the past five years I've never had an issue before. :animesigh

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Downloading is not always an issue if you're careful and downloading music is almost never a cause for this kind of thing. This usually happens when you venture into cracked programs and the like, which you said you don't do so I'm really not sure how this ended up on your computer unless your roommate just made a mistake.[/color][/font]

Well supposedly music is all that was downloaded, but I don't know for sure. However, going back even further than when IE was installed fixed the issue. So it was a mistaken assumption on my part that IE was the problem. All I care is that it no longer does it and I reinstalled the new IE again and it's working fine, so thanks for the advice. :)

I'm having a problem Uninstalling a piece of software.

I'd heard a lot of things about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and decided to try it out, so I borrowed my friends copy as he was not using it. I have found that it is not to my liking and would like to remove it, however, whenever I click on "Uninstall", I get an error message, the heading is that of Installshield wizard. I went into add or remove programs, but it still won't work there either.

any tips?