OtakuBoards

Banner ads on myOtaku

DDG

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DimGray]Certain banner ads on myOtaku have become an extreme annoyance lately. Namely, the ads that ask you to "swat the fly", or "shoot the paparazzi". Some ads similar to these are not as bothersome, mostly because they do not make any kind of noise at all.

However, ads such as the "swat the fly" ones are irritating as they are constantly making some kind of noise while you are viewing the page in particular.

Yes, there are certain measures that could be took to ignore these ads, no matter how annoying. Such as, muting the speakers or turning them down. However, sometimes this is not feasible. Say you're listening to some music on your computer while you're browsing myOtaku and one of these aforementioned ads appears at the top of the page.

What do you do? If you mute the speakers, there goes your music. If you turn the speakers down, it becomes harder to hear the music. So you think of another plan: you refresh the page, hoping for a new banner ad only to be given either the same banner ad as before or a different one that makes just as much noise.

The ads would also be background noise as you're listening to the music.

This is just one example and one probable cause of the ads being an annoyance.

Another solution could be to do what the ad says and [for example] swat the fly. You think this might eradicate the problem because you know [from personal experience or otherwise, I enjoy messing around with those kinds of ads when I get bored on occasion] that with certain ads whatever you were told to 'get rid of', after exterminating it will not come back, thus removing your problem with the noise.

This is not the case with the ads on myOtaku that make noise. With every ad of this type I've came across, a few seconds after "swatting the fly" or "shooting the paparazzi" the said target returns to annoy you further.

Personally these ads give me a headache. A nice pounding, throbbing headache and I've even got my speakers down as low as they'll go without completely muting them.

I've made this thread and stated my case for one purpose: to ask if these types of ads could be removed from being displayed on myOtaku.

I'm not talking about the ads that are similar to ones such as "swat the fly", ones that don't make any noise whatsoever(a good example being "shoot the spy"), only the ads that [i]do[/i] make noises. I understand that the noise draws attention to the ad, but the noise is also extremely repetitive and annoying.

myOtaku can do without the ads that make noise and give DDG a headache. Stick to the silent ones, please! If its in any way possible, I'd like to see if the ads could be forever removed to never, ever come back.

Thanks for your time.

-DDG[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=DDG][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DimGray]Certain banner ads on myOtaku have become an extreme annoyance lately. Namely, the ads that ask you to "swat the fly", or "shoot the paparazzi". Some ads similar to these are not as bothersome, mostly because they do not make any kind of noise at all.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I agree, espically the shoot the paparazzi as that ad seems to be there almost every time I open the site. :animesigh I have no problem with ads in general but I definately would like to see the ones that make noise be banned from being on myOtaku. As DDG said trying to get rid of it doesn't work. The only way to get around it is to leave the site and come back, and pray you get an ad that isn't beyond annoying.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DimGray]Ah, good. I'm glad the problem is being fixed. *waves goodbye to the evil, annoying, noisy ads*

Thanks for the information, Justin. Its great to know that something's being done about it... especially since it was already happening before I complained, heh.

-DDG[/COLOR][/FONT]