OtakuBoards

Best Anime Girl Tournament R1 M5: Asuka (Evangelion) vs. Nana (Elfen Lied)

Bloodseeker

Time for match 5!

My only rule is to not spam up these threads. Don't just post the character that you voted for's name. If you're going to say who you voted for, then explain why you voted for who you voted for, even if that explanation is just quoting someone that shares your sentiments. It doesn't need to be complicated. Even something as simple as "I voted for Asuka because she has a lot more spunk than Rei" or "I voted for Asuka because she has a lot of spunk" will work. So long as it has more substance than "Asuka" or "Asuka's better", its fine.

Asuka will win this one. She's an insanely popular character, and with good reason.

Asuka Langley Sohryu (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

[img]http://img196.echo.cx/img196/4766/asuka00336ng.jpg[/img]

vs.

Nana (Elfen Lied)

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22834&stc=1[/img]
(and once again, the image that somebody else posted ends up being the best one that I can find)

Asuka gets my vote! I like her for the reason that a lot of Asuka fans like Asuka: her spunk! Oh, and her explanation on thermal expansion. And the way that she messed up those [spoiler]mass-produced evas[/spoiler] in End of Evangelion. And the fact that she picks on everbody's favorite *cough* *cough* anti-hero Shinji. And... okay, I'll stop now. On the other hand, I don't know anything about Nana and the way that she's drawn could mean a lot of different things. From what I saw during the image search, she looks like "tragic" character of the series. [spoiler](just something about sad looking bleeding eyes that gives me that feeling)[/spoiler] If I'm right, she's either an annoyingly pathetic character or a very cool one. This match is no contest for me! For the record, Asuka's also the better looking of the two!

:animestun Oh man...this one is hard...they both look appealing this time...Hmmm....I'm gonna need a little time to think about th--Ok, I'm done...I vote for Nana...Sorry Asuka, loved you in Evangelion, but what can I say...I'm a sucker for pink haired girls :animesmil :animesmil :animesmil Plus, the ribbon in her hair makes her look so..so..KAWAII!!! :animeblus

[quote name='Jahjahwarrior17']:animestun Oh man...this one is hard...they both look appealing this time...Hmmm....I'm gonna need a little time to think about th--Ok, I'm done...I vote for Nana...Sorry Asuka, loved you in Evangelion, but what can I say...I'm a sucker for pink haired girls :animesmil :animesmil :animesmil Plus, the ribbon in her hair makes her look so..so..KAWAII!!! :animeblus[/quote]

You seem to consider yourself an Asuka fan... You're a disgrace! *clubs Jahjahwarrior to the ground and ties him up* How dare you choose pink hair and a ribbon over the awesome second child! Now fall, traitor! Your soul shall be tortured for all eternity! *draws pentagram around Jahjah and begins ritual sacrifice with knives and fire*

[COLOR=DarkRed]This is the first girl competition that i've actually seen both anime series completely. This is of course why i voted Nana.

Asuka was a good character at first, but then she ends up [SPOILER]depending completely on others approval of her, and when she fails once she completely fell apart, and was incapable of operating ever again[/SPOILER]. This isn't considering the events of the movie, but even with that, she just [SPOILER]lost again[/SPOILER].

As for Nana, she was the only Diclonious (or however you spell it) that was able to [SPOILER]overcome the mental torment that they go through. Even experiencing torture, she refused to kill any human, and only attack when she was attacked (not counting Lucy's split personality as Nyuu). She could handle [I]extreme[/I] mental and physical hardships, and even attempted to sacrifice herself to avoid harm to humans.[/SPOILER]

Asuka went through many hardships as well, but Nana was actually able to [SPOILER]overcome them[/SPOILER], especially considering all that had happened to Nana (i don't want to go too in depth, to avoid spoiling it for anyone). See both full series, and it really isn't a hard desicion at all.[/COLOR]

If Nana doesn't win... :animeangr

Asuka went through a lot, but Nana had [spoiler]all four of her limbs ripped off and was forced to watch as the only person she loved committed double suicide with Mariko (who had been incredibly cruel to her, adding insult to injury). Plus she didn't exactly have a positive childhood.

Despite being crippled by her fight with Lucy, she managed to work past her fear and rage and forgive her. Although it would have been so easy for her to betray Lucy/Nyuu while they were living together, Nana decided not to (she's shown struggling with this decision in the OVA episode).[/spoiler] That shows real strength of character. Plus, she's [i]so[/i] cute. I mean, how can you deny that face?

I liked Rei a bit better than Asuka anyway. Asuka [spoiler]recognized her problems, but wasn't able to overcome them,[/spoiler] just as boxybrown said.

~Dagger~

I always saw Asuka's delima differently than that. [spoiler]She relied on a mixture of her own personal pride and ability to achieve better than everbody else. When Shinji started constantly topping her in everything, she cracked. Everybody was ignoring her. When she was no longer the best, no longer the center of attention, it destroyed her pride. On top of that, the guy that she had a crush on went for another woman, and then turned around and died. Those two things combined made her loose her focus, and in turn made her incapable of piloting Unit 02.[/spoiler]

And then, in EoE (you really need to just pick this one up, Dagger) [spoiler]she regained her focus when she realized that her mom's soul was in Unit 02 and that somebody still cared. She then proceeded to have what I consider to be the best and most vicious fight in Evangelion. And she only lost that fight because she didn't have enough battery power to finish up. It wasn't do to lack of skill or focus on her part. I'm pretty sure that pre-S2 engine Unit 01 would have lost that fight too.[/spoiler] So in a way, she did overcome what hindered her ability to pilot.

I'll probably go rent EoE this weekend. Although I'm pretty bummed that a box set for the two movies hasn't been released yet--I'm sort of looking for an excuse to get Death & Rebirth as well. Oh, the woes of being a completionist.

I have to admit that certain parts of Eva just made me want to strangle Asuka. By the end I gained a little more respect for her, if only because [spoiler]pretty much the entire main cast (with Kaji being the only exception I can think of) had more or less revealed their true colors. She was unique in that her flaws were out in the open from the beginning, whereas Misato and Ritsuko came across very differently once they were torn off their pedestals.

She also struck me as being a lot more self-aware than many of the other characters; because of that, I found myself more reluctant to cut her some slack.[/spoiler] In fact, now that I think about it, she's like a super-twisted version of Yukino from His & Her Circumstances. Which is really very creepy, all things considered. :animestun

I can see why Asuka is liked, but she's not really my type of character. The way she treated Shinji always reflected badly upon her; I would have preferred to see more interaction between Asuka and Rei and less with her and Shinji.

Anyway, the fact that Elfen Lied's Nana is both a serious, sympathetic character and an endless font of [spoiler]prosthetic limb[/spoiler] jokes should win her major points, as far as I'm concerned. :animesmil

~Dagger~

Death and Rebirth is a boring waste of time. If you want to hear the characters scream and then go and play classical music on their instruments, go pick up D&R.

Seriously, the only worthwhile thing in the movie is the first minute or so when they recap the second impact. You might as well stop watching after that.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I'm getting a little agravated here. I can see everyones point and why they like Asuka, but i'm willing to bet that you haven't seen Elfen Lied. Having seen that, Nana simply is the clear winner. She dealt with extremely similar problems as Asuka (why this is actually a very interesting match) however, as i said before, Nana handles the problems so much better. As Dagger said, [SPOILER]she got all her limbs ripped straight off of her body, and still forgave the person who did it. [I]Then[/I] she even tried to sacrifice herself, to save everyone, and went out to the bridge to face #37 (don't remember the name), knowing that she would probably die.[/SPOILER]

As for Asuka, [SPOILER]yes it is true that she put up quite the valient effort against the mass produced Evas, however i have to dissagree that she lost only due to power shortage. Had she had unlimited power, the other Evas had the ability to regenerate, and they would innevitably defeated Asuka anyway.[/SPOILER]

A bit off topic, Dagger, i have actually found a box set of the Eva movies. As far as i know, you would have to import it from Australia (i've found it on several sites, all in Australia for some reason ^_~). [URL=http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/item.php?catalogue=MMB037A]Here[/URL] you can get the box alone for $20 (considering exchange rate, that would be about $15 American, i don't know how much shipping is), or [URL=http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/225325]here[/URL] you can get it with both DVD's for about $47 ($33-$34 American) plus around $10 ($7-$8 American) for international shipping. Although i'm not sure of the Australian region coding. If you bought the discs there, they may not work in another country, so your best bet may be the first link (and buy the box alone), then buy the DVD's here (America).[/COLOR]

[quote name='boxybrown305][COLOR=DarkRed]As for Asuka, [SPOILER]yes it is true that she put up quite the valient effort against the mass produced Evas, however i have to dissagree that she lost only due to power shortage. Had she had unlimited power, the other Evas had the ability to regenerate, and they would innevitably defeated Asuka anyway.[/SPOILER'][/COLOR][/quote]

[spoiler]She was fighting as well as Shinji ever had, if not better. If she still would have been defeated even with the addition of an S2 engine, I'm pretty sure that neither Shinji nor regular Rei would have been able to defeat them either. (I wouldn't exactly call what happened to Shinji there a victory) But I think that she still would have been able to beat them. That battle would have gone on until she noticed their cores or some other weak point, and she would have been able to put two and two together and bring them down. And even if she couldn't, well, I don't think that there's any need to repeat myself.[/spoiler]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Well of course i agree with you there, i never said she did bad, or that anyone else could have done any better. [SPOILER]Shinji or Rei wouldn't have done any better at all, probably even worse than Asuka did. She was seriously kicking their a**es, i don't doubt that. I just think that she would have innevitably lost anyway, as would anyone. It was 8 (or something) mass produced Evas, with the ability to fly, regenerate, and armed with super weapon blades or whatever, versus a normal, prototype Evengelion, no flight, no regeneration. They would have eventually overpowered her. She did indeed fight amazingly though, and i agree that it was the greatest battle all throughout the series,[/SPOILER] and i give Asuka TONS of props for that, but if you just saw Elfen Lied, and all that Nana is capable of and deals with, i must stand by my oppinion to vote for Nana.[/COLOR]

There's a good chance that I won't have time to update this on Monday, so I'm just going to go ahead advance the tournament now. This will get it back on the every Thursday schedule anyways.

Asuka Langley Sohryu: 6 votes
Nana: 4 votes

[b]Here is your winner... Asuka Langley Sohryu![/b]

But since Nana fans seem to like her so much, I'll just say that there's a chance that I might change the decision if the tables have turned in a big way. (let's say... a 2 vote lead) In other words, keep voting on this one. Asuka fans, keep her around! Nana fans, push!

I'll post regardless of whether I change the decision or not.

man...i like asuka, but nana takes the vote... asuka just doesnt compare at all to nana. first of all, asuka doesnt have to live with [spoiler]prostetic arms/legs, nor did she have to watch her (adopted) father get blown all to hell, nor did she choose to sacrafice herself[/spoiler]....i could go on
poor, poor nana gets my vote

• 2 months later...