OtakuBoards

DS vs PSP

Xx_Chaos_xX

Round 1
-----------------
Ok, in your opinion which is better the psp or ds

For starters the DS has longer battery life then the PSP but the PSP has more[better] launching titles. I dont wanna play no mario.Also to my understanding, PSP dosnt have Online play, but the DS(using bluetooth technoligy) can play online or use Pictochat from 100 feet away from you. But psp price may be at 150 at launch. So Ds has convineince with its system, but Psp has what matters most, good games.I am voting for the Psp because
1. The PSP first of all, kills the Nintendo DS with graphics. The DS in graphics can be compared to about between N64 and Dreamcast graphics, which is good. However, the PSP is between PSX and PS2 type graphics, so who do you think wins this battle?

2. Battery Life. This is the Nintendo Fanboy's biggest piece of fuel against the PSP. When tested by PSM magazine, it was found that with the backlight on Max, the volume on max, and playing Ridge Racer, the most graphical game on the PSP to date, the battery life lasted approx. 4 hours and 28 minutes. However, when the backlight was turned to medium and the vol. on low, the battery life lasted 5 hours and 31 minutes. Ha! 5 hours! Now, who other than DS Fanboys, can complain about playing for 5 hours? The only way you can play a game for 17 hours is if you are an idiot with no life. The rest of us can stick with PSP thank you.

3.PSP Flaws. Now DS fanboys, get ready to have your socks knocked off. The biggest problems I've have heard were about the square button and the UMD disc problem. Let me address them. The president of Sony stated that due to an intentional design flaw, the square button is too close the game screen, and the sensitivity of the square button is low since the actual sensor for the button is under the screen, not the button itself. The other problem is that if the PSP is twisted while applying pressure to it, the UMD door will unclasp, causing the UMD disc to fly out of the PSP. To both of those problems listen to this: Out of the 500,000 PSP units that were sold, only 4,800 PSPs were returned back because of problems. And guess what? Most of them were returned because of air bubbles and dead pixels on the screen. Not the square button or UMD problem. Get your facts straight DS Fanboys.

4.Memory and Other Things. To start off, yes you need to buy Memory sticks to save things on the PSP. But $80? No no no. That's if you buy the Sony brand memory sticks. A 1GB memory stick from Sony could cost you about $200. A MadCatz or Pelican stick could cost you almost 3/4 less of that price. Again, get your facts straight people. The PSP will also have:

-internet browser that can be downloaded from Sony to acess the internet with your PSP,
-A built-in Microphone to translate English to any other language you see fit
- MP3 and MPEG 3 and 4 playback to be able to play both MP3s and Movies on your PSP.
- A program called Image Converter 2 to be able to save images from any other Sony brand Digital camera or video recorder to your PSP.
- What's this about online play? Yes, the PSP will feature Wi-Fi play with the push of a button to play with up to 16 other players depending on the game.

Ridge Racer- 8 players
NBA Street Remix 2 - 4 players
NFL Street 2 - 6 players
NFS: Rivals- 6 players
Coded Arms: 16 players in Deathmatches
Tales of Eternia- 4 players in RPG

The number will increase when more games come out. But also, the Wi-Fi will allow PSP users to access Wi-Fi hotspots to play over greater distances with the PSP then the DS. TheWi-Fi will allow internet access as well.

Round 2
----------------------
The PSP will be $250, not $150.
As I mentioned the battery life is shorter.
The PSP will be $250, not $150.

As you mentioned the battery life is shorter.

And the weak disk door is a design flaw, it obviously affects more than a handfull of systems, and not really anything to return the system about.

Many systems have had problems with dead pixels.

As said the Square button has low sensitivity, due to the fact the Sony was unwilling to decrease the size of the screen, or move the button to a location that it would not be an issue.And the Sony CEO even had said something along the lines of, "It wasn't a mistake. There may be people who complain about it, but that's something users and game developers will have to adapt to."

I have also heard of issues of Overheating in the early stages.(possibly worked out now.) And that at least in the Japanese models that some people were encountering the system randomly erasing their Memory cards.(Again possibly fixed by now.)

IMO the DS is a nice compact system, with vast improvements over their previous versions. And with the significantly lower cost than the PSP, would be more affordable to younger audiences. The download feature is useful, so parents would only need to purchase one game if the children wished to play multiplayer.

In the end I will most likely purchase both(already have a DS), mainly due though to the PSPs playing properties. But due in part to Sony's history of bugs during launch, I will wait a year, and possibly a price reduction until I purchase one.

Round 3

When exactly are you going to play a game for 17 hours? To the casual gamer, 2-4 hours is enough.You don't think that Sony hadn't heard the complaints from America and tried to correct some of the problems before shipping to America? And another thing, read every review about the PSP that has come out in an American gaming magazine. Not one magazine has complained about the square button or the UMD problem. The DS is not a highly advanced piece of equipment, and therefore does not have anything to worry about. The DS was built for ******* 5 year olds for God's sake.The internet browser is from Sony itself and will not need a monthly fee to subscribe. Only a PSP and Wi-Fi hotspot will do.PSP does exactly the same thing the DS does in terms of short-length Wi-Fi play. The only time the Wi-Fi hotspots are used, is during Long distance playing and maybe internet browsing(at a internet cafe for example)Also The medai playback that was discussed for the GBA is called the Play-yan. It is essentially a chip that is placed inside a special GBA cartridge that will enable it to play MP3s and MPEG 4 playback. However, the chip, cartridge, USB cable, and other things needed to get the files off of your computer into your GBa are sold seperately and add up to alot of money. Also Nintendo stated that they had no intentions of bringing it to America anytime soon. LOL
and as i said befor: It has been announced that Final Fantasy 3( 6 in Japan) will be coming out for the Nintendo DS. Now wait, I said a treat for the PSP users didn't I? Well since DS get FF 3 PSP users get Final Fantasy: Advent Children on UMD, and we also get the remake of FFVII when it comes out

OK . got all the deatils (for the people that dont know), so can someone tell me whats better, Psp or DS

[CENTER][IMG]http://img223.echo.cx/img223/4246/whatisanidiot7cx.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Before this is closed (as I'm guessing it might be considering the uber lameness of these threads) let's get a few things straight.

[quote]For starters the DS has longer battery life then the PSP but the PSP has more[better] launching titles.[/quote]

I agree that the PSP's launch titles were better--but it's a very insignificant (and highly subjective point). It's more important to focus on the quality and style of games that these two systems will offer in the future instead of looking at the launch line-ups (which are rarely indicative of what a system is truly capable of down the road anyway). I don't know if either system will offer the [i]better[/i] selection. Remember these handhelds are each trying to achieve entirely seperate things and appeal to different audiences altogether. In the end, it all comes down to personal taste.

[quote]I dont wanna play no mario.[/quote]

That's a double negative. You're saying that you [I]do[/I] want to play Mario.

[quote]Also to my understanding, PSP dosnt have Online play, but the DS(using bluetooth technoligy) can play online or use Pictochat from 100 feet away from you.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

The PSP does have online play.

[quote]But psp price may be at 150 at launch. So Ds has convineince with its system, but Psp has what matters most, good games.I am voting for the Psp because
1. The PSP first of all, kills the Nintendo DS with graphics. The DS in graphics can be compared to about between N64 and Dreamcast graphics, which is good. However, the PSP is between PSX and PS2 type graphics, so who do you think wins this battle?[/quote]

I almost have no idea what you're saying. I'll try my best to translate:

"The DS has a more attractive price but the PSP has better games because they look better. Ug."

That's basically it. In the end, when the PSP's full potential is realized and a better batter is released to sustain it, there's no doubt that we'll see high-end PS2 visuals running on it. But, does that mean that the games are [I]better[/I] per se? Only if you judge it on that criteria alone--and you'd be making a very egregious mistake by doing so. Again, this is all a matter of personal preference. Both systems are offering an entirely different brand of gameplay. If you prefer what the PSP is going for--then that's fine. But, at least have the right reasons.

Ack, I don't even feel like going on--and I could indeed (third party memory sticks 3/4 cheaper? Bah. Get your facts straight, man.

There's already a thread on this subject [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=40830][b]here[/b][/url], and there are two threads on the individual systems [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=36436][b]here (Nintendo DS)[/url][/b] and [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=32057][b]here (PSP)[/url][/b]. If you'd like to post about the PSP being better than the DS (or vice versa) than go to the first thread.

Thread Closed