OtakuBoards

OBNomic [G]

Circ

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[size=4]Rules[/size]
[SIZE=1][b]1. Leading principle[/b] Any, absolutely any, rule can be altered in the course of the game, including this one.
The rules can only be altered through proposals.
During the 24 first hours, the dictator is free to make any changes he feels are necessary.

[b]2. Roles[/b] There are players, a dictator and an arbitrator.

[indent][b]a) The dictator[/b] There is a dictator. The dictator is in charge of running and keeping the game up to date. The first dictator is Circéus. The dictator is also a player.

[b]b) the players[/b] There are ten players. There cannot be more than ten participating players at any time.

[b]c) the arbitrator[/b] is in charge of making decisions in case of rule conflicts.

[indent]
[b]I. Designation and alternation[/b] The first arbitrator is Circeus. Once an arbitrator has made a decision,the next player in the list of players becomes the arbitrator.

[b]II. Scope of the arbitrator's power[/b] The arbitrator might be called at any time by a player to make a decision. This decision is considered the [i]de facto[/i] correct interpretation of the rules, no matter how ridiculous it might sound. Any arbitrator's decision may be superceded my later new rules or amendments.
[/indent]

[/indent]

[b]3. Points[/b] Player can lose or win points.

[indent][b]a) Starting Points[/b] Players receive 10 points at the start of the game.

[b]b) Gaining and losing points[/b]

[indent][i]I. Gaining points[/i] One may gain points by doing any one of the following:
[list]
[*]Making a post whose number is a [url= http://wikisource.org/wiki/Fibonacci_numbers_1-500]fibonacci number[/url] other than 1 (2 points)
[*][b]A)[/b] Making a proposal proper (2 points)
[*][b]B)[/b] Proposing an amendment (1 point)
[*][b]C)[/b] Having a proposal become a rule (3 points)
[*][b]D)[/b] Passing a proposal with a unanimous vote (5 points)
[/list]

[i]II. Losing points[/i] Player may lose points for:

[list]
[*]Failing to vote before the end of a cycle (2 points)
[*][b]A)[/b] Failing at presenting a proposal correctly (1 point per offense)
[*][b]B)[/b] In the case of the dictator, failing to keep the game up to date. (2 points)
[*][b]C)[/b] In the case of the arbitrator, failling to give a decision within a 7-days limit. (1 point)
[*][b]D)[/b] Having a proposal being voted down unanimously (3 points)
[/list]
[/indent]
[/indent]

[b]4. Modifying the rules[/b] Players vote over the course of a cycle on various proposals to change the rules

[indent][b]a) Cycles [/b] A cycle begins with the posting of the proposals by the dictator and ends on Saturday midnight, Eastern Time

[b]b) Proposals[/b] Proposals may change the rules if they receive enough votes

[indent]
[i]I. Definition[/i] There are two types of proposal: new rules, and amendments. [b]Amendments[/b] can only modify previous rules, while [b]new rules[/b] are added below the old one. One cannot combine an amendment and a new rule.

[i]II. Related amendments[/i] A proposal can include as many [B]related amendments[/B] as the player wishes. These are alteration to previous rules in relation with the new one. (For example, to state that failing to meet the proposed rule will cause the docking of points, one must amend rule [B]3. b)[/B] [I]I. Losing points[/I])

[i]III. Making proposals.[/i] Proposals are made by PMing them to the Dictator.
[indent][b]A) Number of proposal[/b] A player may send in up to 2 proposals

[b]B) Time limit[/b] Proposals must be sent in before the end of a cycle

[b]C) Presentation[/b] A proposal must follow the same presentation as the starting rule and be labelled as either a new rule or an amendment. Any secondary amendment must also be labelled as such and specify the rule it modifies. All of its text must be enclosed within a pair of [qwote] tags, and it must be in unmodified font color, size and typeface.
[/indent]
[/indent]

[b]c) Vote[/b] The dictator posts the proposals between Saturday midnight and Monday 8am Eastern Time. The players then vote Yes, No or abstain on each proposal. A proposal receiving more than half of the number of the player Yes votes is accepted and added to the rules.
[/indent]

[b]6. Winning[/b] A player wins when its score reaches 100 points.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[b]7) Roleplaying[/b] All posts made after this rule has passed must be written as roleplay within a political legislative context of the player's choice.

This is a game of Nomic, these are the rules, you will be 10 players (including myself) making new rules to try to win more rapidly, or keep other players from winning.

[size=4][B]Current players and point tally:[/B][/size]
[list=1]
[*]Circéus ([I]dictator, arbitrator[/I]) - [b]36[/b]
[*]Cyriel - [b]6[/b]
[*]Dagger - [b]12[/b]
[*]Sean - [b]6[/b]
[*]Sakura - [b]13[/b]
[*]JulianPhire - [b]17[/b]
[*]open
[*]open
[*]open
[*]open
[/list]

Player wishing to take an "open" place may do so by writing it in the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=47290]suscription[/url] thread

[size=4][B]Current proposals:[/B][/size]
[i]Proposal 1[/i]
[quote=Circéus]
[b]New rule 3. b) I. E)[/b]
"Failing to comply with rule 7 (2points)"
[/quote]

[i]Proposal 2[/i]
[quote=Circéus]
[b]Amendment to rule 4. b) III. A)[/b]
The rule become "A player may submit as many proposals as he wishes"
[/quote]

[size=4][B]Comments:[/B][/size]
[i]All rules are superceded at all times by those of the forum.[/i]
At the moment, people may vote in any fashion, as long as the dictator can access the vote whithin the time limit.

Proposal 1: [b]No[/b]

The way I understand it, this proposed amendment would have two main effects: it would change the wording from "before the end of a cycle" to "before the end of the week." This strikes me as being a little dangerous, since it is quite possible that various complications and/or new & unrelated amendments could cause a cycle to last longer than a week.

Secondly, the amendment would reduce the penalty for failing to vote in time. While this somewhat ameliorates the potential side effects of what I mentioned in the paragraph above, I'm not really sure how significant such a reduction would be in the long run--if someone is a chronic late voter, he/she will eventually feel the effects of it regardless of whether the penalty is 2 points or 1.

Proposal 2: [b]Yes[/b]

Spreading the power out a little can only be a good thing.

~Dagger~

[color=Navy]Proposal 1: [b]Yes

[/b]Well since I put it in, might as well vote for it. And the reason I asked is just in case, not saying that I will continuously post late. I have my exams coming up very soon and may not be able to get on in time.

Proposal 2: [b]Yes

[/b]I think having another person of power is a good thing.

[b][color=Black]OOC: [/color][/b][color=Black]Um....still not too sure of the game, don't know if we're allowed to vote yes for both. If not I'll change it.[/color]
[/color]

Some deeper explanations of the game: Everything goes unless it is already treated in the rules or in a decision of the dictator/arbitrator.

Currently, rule conflicts go like this:

[list=1]
[*]The dictator makes a decision
[*]That decision stands as the correct interpretation unless a later proposal or a call to the arbitrator overrules it
[*]Only a new rule can overturn an arbitrator's decision.
[/list]
If you wish, I can list arbitrators' decisions in the first post.

Now, I am forgetting something... oh yes! I am strongly encouraging you to make proposals: they are giving you the most points. Also check your post numbers for scratching a few points. Finally, I will [B]abstain[/B] on my own proposal and vote [B]no[/B] on Sakura's.

Also, welcome our new player: [I]JulianPhire[/I]

And... oh, yeah, I didn't dock Sakura points for incorrectly formatting her original proposal, since I hadn't previously provided any examples. Now that there are, I will not refrain from docking points in the future :devil:

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=3]final results after cycle 1[/SIZE]
[B]Points gained:[/B][list]
[*][B]2 points[/B] each to Dagger and sakura for making posts number 2 and 3 in the thread
[*][b]2 points[/b] each to myself for making a proposal
[*][b]1 point[/b] to sakura for proposing an amendment.
[*][b]5 ponts[/b] to myself for having a rule passed (2 out of 3 votes)
[/list]
[B]Point Docked:[/B][list]
[*][b]2 points[/b] to Cyriel, Sean and JulianPhire for failing to vote for this cycle
[*][b]2 points[/b] for myself for failing to formulate correctly my amendment: point docked to the arbitrator are not listed.
[/list]

[SIZE=3]Results[/SIZE]
[list=1]
[*]Circéus (dictator) - [b]15[/b]
[*]Cyriel - [b]8[/b]
[*]Dagger - [b]12[/b]
[*]Sean - [b]8[/b]
[*]Sakura - [b]13[/b]
[*]JulianPhire - [b]8[/b]
[*]open
[*]open
[*]open
[*]open
[/list]
[/COLOR]

Guest JulianPhire
Proposal 1: Yes
Do we need a reason.

Proposal 2: Yes
I can think of some.. but don't see a point.

Proposal 3: Yes
how many roles could a role player play if a role player could play roles?

Actually, proposal #2 would prevent you from making proposals like proposal #1, because new ways to make or loose points would become new rules instead of amendments, so you'have to separate them into different proposals.

I vote [B]yes[/B] on #1, though it's unlikely it'll be applied since we barely have enough voters who participates. Reminds me I'll have to make an amendment to rule [B]6)[/B] about the winning conditions.

I vote [B]yes[/B] on #2. I've already explained up there the reasons and the change this would have on Hameplay.

I vote [B]yes[/B] on #3 (though I've forgotten to make a related amendment for point loss about it...). A bit of silliness never killed anybody. And it'll make the game more compliant with the rules of Adventure Square.

[color=Navy]I vote [b]YES [/b]to all three proposals.

Or in other words;

[b]#1)[/b] I vote [b]Yes
#2) [/b]I vote[b] Yes
#3) [/b]I vote[b] Yes
[/b]
[strike]My reason is because I think it'll be fun to try to over rule the arbitrator's rules, and just because its fun to have power.[/strike]

[b]EDIT: [/b]Sorry, I think I miss read it or something. It was pretty late for me. Just take it as I said [b]yes [/b]to them all and I've decided not to give a reason unless its required.
[/color]

Proposal 1: [b]Yes[/b]

Proposal 2: [b]Yes[/b]

Proposal 3: [b]Yes[/b]

The third proposal should be particularly fun. I'm looking forward to seeing how it's implemented. I don't have anything to comment on beyond that--I was actually thinking of suggesting something like the first proposal myself, funnily enough. I guess next time I should try to be quicker to the punch. :p

~Dagger~

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]
[SIZE=3]Results after cycle 2[/SIZE]

All proposal have passed with unanimous support

[B]Points gained:[/B][list]
[*][B]2 points[/B] each to JulianPhire and myself for making post #5 and #8
[*][b]2 points[/b] to myself for making a proposal
[*][b]1 point[/b] each to JulianPhire and Myself for proposing an amendment.
[*][b]8 points[/b] to JulianPhire for passing a proposal with unanimous support
[*][b]16 points[/b] to myself for passing two proposal with unanimous support
[/list]
[B]Point Docked:[/B][list]
[*][b]2 points[/b] to Cyriel and Sean for failing to vote for this cycle
[*][b]2 points[/b] to JulianPhire for failing to comply with rule [B]4. b) III. C)[/B].
[/list]

[SIZE=3]Results[/SIZE]
[list=1]
[*]Circéus (dictator) - [b]36[/b]
[*]Cyriel - [b]6[/b]
[*]Dagger - [b]12[/b]
[*]Sean - [b]6[/b]
[*]Sakura - [b]13[/b]
[*]JulianPhire - [b]17[/b]
[*]open
[*]open
[*]open