OtakuBoards

Little help please...

DBZgirl88

[COLOR=#004a6f]I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.

I recently 'composed' a music piece and have made a midi version of it. How do I create a pdf version of my piece? Nearly all the sheet music sites I go to have their files in pdf format, and I wanna know how they do it.

I also hear of this language called musicXML. Do I need to make a musicXML version first before I can make a pdf file? I really have have no idea where to begin.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#004a6f][quote name='Retribution][SIZE=1']As far as I know... a pdf file is an Adobe Acrobat file, used for reading images and such. How and why would you convert music into information?[/SIZE][/quote]Well, pdf is just a way to present any sort document professionally, for printing and distribution. I want to have a music [B]score[/B], you know, written music, on my pc, just like this file: [url]http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/BachJS/BWV147/jesujoy/jesujoy-a4.pdf[/url]

See what I mean? You can even highlight those notes! How do they do that?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]pdf's are great for things like music and other documents because they can never be edited. Sure, you can have the non-pdf version of a file, edit that, and then convert to a pdf, but when you do that, the original creator can prove that that isn't the version or pdf he/she gave. Once it's a pdf, you are safe in knowing that the document you submitted will not be tampered with.

So, if you give something to a website, no one is going to play around with it. Senny always sends all his pictures to me in pdf form, although I'm not sure why. O_o I'm not a criminal, Senny!

Anyway, to answer your question, Chabichou, you normally need Adobe Acrobat to make pdf's (Acrobat makes pdf's and costs money, but Reader lets you view pdf's and is free), but people have made free pdf programs. [url=http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0-1-0.html?qt=create+pdf&author=&titlename=&desc=&dlcount=&daysback=&swlink=&gfiletype=&os=&li=49&dlsize=&ca=]Check out this page and make your choice on which one you want to use[/url].[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#004a6f][quote name='AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]Anyway, to answer your question, Chabichou, you normally need Adobe Acrobat to make pdf's (Acrobat makes pdf's and costs money, but Reader lets you view pdf's and is free), but people have made free pdf programs. [url=http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0-1-0.html?qt=create+pdf&author=&titlename=&desc=&dlcount=&daysback=&swlink=&gfiletype=&os=&li=49&dlsize=&ca=]Check out this page and make your choice on which one you want to use[/url'].[/COLOR][/quote]My browser keeps freezing when I click on your link. But I do have adobe acrobat (trial version), not just reader, but I don't know how to use it.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][QUOTE=AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]pdf's are great for things like music and other documents because they can never be edited. Sure, you can have the non-pdf version of a file, edit that, and then convert to a pdf, but when you do that, the original creator can prove that that isn't the version or pdf he/she gave. Once it's a pdf, you are safe in knowing that the document you submitted will not be tampered with.

So, if you give something to a website, no one is going to play around with it. Senny always sends all his pictures to me in pdf form, although I'm not sure why. O_o I'm not a criminal, Senny![/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Actually, this is not true. You'll have to take my word for it though ... it's too large to upload. >_>

One can easily edit this puppies with Photoshop CS+ (maybe even lower, I'm not sure).[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#7C0201][SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]o[/COLOR][COLOR=Yellow]o[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]g[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]l[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]e[/COLOR] for "convert midi to sheet music" and this is what will come up:

[u][b]MidiNotate[/b][/u]
It's a program that [i]supposedly[/i] converts midi to sheet music with a press of a button (haven't tried it yet but it's [i]supposed[/i] to be good, according to [URL=http://www.skytopia.com/project/articles/notation.html][b]this site[/b][/URL])

I'm pretty sure you don't need musicXML if you're convert image files (which I think is the output of MidiNotate) into PDF. 'tleast that's what my PS7 tells me. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=DarkGreen][font=Trebuchet MS]You're getting some decent responses here in the [b]Lounge,[/b] so I don't want to [b]move[/b] this thread; I have, however, [b]copied [/b]it to [b]PC/Mac,[/b] the denizens of which may have the expertise to help out some more.[/font][/color]

[COLOR=#004a6f][QUOTE=Revue][COLOR=#7C0201][SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]o[/COLOR][COLOR=Yellow]o[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]g[/COLOR][COLOR=Green]l[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]e[/COLOR] for "convert midi to sheet music" and this is what will come up:

[u][b]MidiNotate[/b][/u]
It's a program that [i]supposedly[/i] converts midi to sheet music with a press of a button (haven't tried it yet but it's [i]supposed[/i] to be good, according to [URL=http://www.skytopia.com/project/articles/notation.html][b]this site[/b][/URL])

I'm pretty sure you don't need musicXML if you're convert image files (which I think is the output of MidiNotate) into PDF. 'tleast that's what my PS7 tells me. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]I have something a lot better than midi notate, igor engraver. It can convert midi's into sheetmusic too. And you can also write a piece from scratch. I can save the file, but not in a format I can distribute. I can only save it as a midi file again, or an EPS file (opens in potoshop).

Well, do any of you have experience with eps files? Is there a way to convert those to pdf?[/COLOR]