OtakuBoards

Ghost in the Shell: The Real-Life Android.

Otaku America

[COLOR=blue]It's more than likely absolutely incapable of walking, which would also explain why all the pictures are of it sitting down. And it's not an android like the Ghost in the Shell characters: it's just an extremely simplistic robot covered with silicone.

Seriously, it's nothing special. Figure a few generic computer parts internally, and an overly flashy exterior with no real substance. Making something [B]look[/B] human is easy, but making it move like a human is the tough part. I think the mechanical dance partner that teaches you how to dance was more impressive than this, even if the exterior wasn't as convincing.[/COLOR]

[quote name='AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]Seriously, it's nothing special. Figure a few generic computer parts internally, and an overly flashy exterior with no real substance. Making something [B]look[/B'] human is easy, but making it move like a human is the tough part. I think the mechanical dance partner that teaches you how to dance was more impressive than this, even if the exterior wasn't as convincing.[/COLOR][/quote]

Actually, I saw something like this on Discovery Channel. (I'm not sure if this is the one) In Japan they have an android that is not only made to look like a human, but [b]act[/b] like a human. They copied mouth movements, eye movements, and tried to get all the little idiosyncrasies that humans have. She can show emotion, and many people in the work places have started to treat her more like a human.

They also have another robot that can have vocal conversations with humans. It picks up the intonations by measuring speed and pitch of the voice. Basically the difference between "sou desu ne...." and "sou desu ne!". Its voice also changes depending on what it wants to communicate.

I wondered what would have happened if they put the two together.

-ArV