OtakuBoards

The Basement of Madame Davis

Snarktastic

[COLOR=Indigo]The thread for this RP can be found [B][URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=48710]here[/URL][/B].

Cast:

[B]elainemc[/B] - Dorothy Edith Hendrick
[B]KitWisdom[/B] - Helen Jones
[B]Leibsliede[/B] - Felix Georg... Ivan von Liebeslied (HA.)
[B]MothDarkfire[/B] - Lydia Petrakis
[b]Ozymandius Jones[/b] - Laura Brooks
[B]Rilarien[/B] - Sophia Elizabeth von Liebeslied
[B]Sage Kaley[/B] - Mollie Evans
[B]slipshod sailor[/B] - Lawrence P. Sheaves
[B]Spawnie[/B] - Catherine Sharpe
[B]StarrStruck[/B] - Rori Keelin Malone
[B]Suonymona[/B] - Simon Metternich
[B]zoetheshort[/B] - Sarah Margaret Miller

As of right now, my brain has stopped working, as far as getting together the RP thread is concerned. I can always start this thread, though.

This is the place to ask any and all questions relating to the Madame Davis? Home for Gifted Children, no matter how big or small your question might be. First of all, though, some ground rules for both this thread and the RP.

======

[U][B]The Ten Commandments of this RP[/B][/U]

[B]I. I am the lord thy god (of the RP). Thou shalt not have any other gods before me (in this RP)... except for the Otakuboards mods.[/B] I made up the RP, so I get to set the rules. However, we must keep within the wider rules of the site. That means keeping the posts PG-rated, being careful with your spelling and grammar, and whatever other rules they have set forth.

[B]II. Thou shalt not question thy god (of the RP)'s authority.[/B] There's nothing more that irritates me than someone who tries to usurp the GM's final say on things or tries to make the GM feel stupid for making a certain decision. If I make a decision on something, that decision is final unless I say it's not. Okay? Okay.

Of course, I am open to suggestions. [B]Suggestions[/B], not declarations.

[B]III. Remember to keep holy the RP day.[/B] Okay, so maybe I'm stretching it with that one. What I'm trying to say is... please, keep up with the RP as much as possible. I understand that, hey, you can't be there every day. I can't be there every day. But if we start the RP and you haven't posted once -- don't expect us to wait for you.

Please, though, if you are going to be gone for an extended period of time, PM me and let me know.

[B]IV. Honor thy fellow roleplayers.[/B] Hey, any of you remember that big to-do at bad_rpers_suck on Livejournal the other day? Remember how [B]hilarious[/B] that was?

Yeah. That crap STAYS on bad_rpers_suck. Got that? I don't care if you hate each other -- we're all still in this RP together, so let's try to be civil in-game, okay?

[B]V. Thou shalt read the other players' applications.[/B] What? Do you think I made you post those because I enjoy torturing people? ...Well, I do, but I also made you post those so other people can read them and get a feel for your character.

So, go read them. Now. I can wait.

[B]VI. Thou shalt not godmode.[/B] Godmoding is, essentially, using another person's character without the other person's permission. If you are going to use other people's characters for anything more than a background character in your post, please try to get their permission before you do so.

[B]VII. Thou shalt not be a twink.[/B] So, we're playing mutants in this game. That does not give you permission to have an uber-powerful character for no good reason. I tried to weed out all the applications where the characters seemed to be entirely too powerful. Do not let me down on this. Remember your power limits.

[B]VII. Thou shalt remember that in-character actions lead to in-character consequences.[/B] Is your character a jerk to people? Don't be surprised if your character is not liked. Does your character jump off of the World Building and can't fly? Don't be surprised if your character goes "SPLAT". In other words, if your character does something, don't be surprised by the consequences. Every action has an equal, but opposite reaction.

[B]IX. Thou shalt not use information gained Out-Of-Character while In-Character.[/B] Remember when I said to read everyone else's applications way back in Commandment Five? If your character would not know that information about the other character without asking (anything from family life to any deep, dark secrets), you cannot have your character know that information!

[B]X. Thou shalt have fun.[/B] If you're not having fun, then why are you here?

======

If you read all the rules, then, by all means -- ask all the questions you want! I'll try to answer them as thoroughly as possible.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Ozymandius Jones][COLOR=DarkOrange']Alrighty, then....so what subjects, exactly, are being taught? Besides "SuperHero 101," of course....:p[/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=Indigo]Shush, you.

Anyway, since we are set in 1899, the courses being taught will be just like every other school during this era. The courses being taught are as follows:

[B]History[/B] (American and World)
[B]Algebra
Arithmetic
Geometry
Latin
Rhetoric[/B] (Better known nowadays as a "public speaking" class)
[B]Physiology[/B] (Also known as Biology)
[B]Physics
Literature
Composition
Bookkeeping
Penmanship
Geology[/B]

These classes are not split into grades, per se, but you cannot go into algebra without first passing arithmetic, for example. Here is how the classes further break down...

1. All new students begin with Arithmetic. After they are able to get through that class, they are passed into Algebra. From there, one can go into either Geometry or Physics (depending on how well one did in Algebra). You can also go from Geometry into Physics.

2. All new students begin with Penmanship. After they are able to pass through Penmanship, they are placed in Composition. After that, they can go into Literature or Rhetoric.

3. All other classes can be taken at the student's discretion, depending on how well they have done on the placement exams. Everyone is expected to complete all classes before graduation, however.

On Saturdays, although there are no required classes to attend, the students can choose to attend other classes, such as the following:

[B]Cookery and Laundry
French
Topical Lessons[/B] (classes on newsworthy events)
[B]Needlework
Music
Singing[/B]

If the students choose not to attend these classes, they are expected to complete their chores before asking to leave on any extracirricular activites.

As I mentioned before, the students must also report to training exercise at least three times a week. There, an instructor will teach them how to control their powers. The students are split into groups with similar powers -- therefore, the students with psychic powers will be training together, while the students with more physical powers will also train together. There will be times when all the students will train together, also.[/COLOR]

Can you give us an idea of the geography? How big is the school? How many buildings? Is it walled? What kind of defences does it have... not only against people getting in, but against accidents with erratic powers?

Also, what are the living conditions like? Do we share rooms? Do we have servents? Are there general dogsbodies who I can ask about my missing luggage and who will tell me it was delivered five days ago by accident because it was put on a clipper ship by mistake? =) How long have we been in the school?

Also, is it possible to test out of courses? Given, for example, my character's education, many of these courses will be repetitions of stuff he has done previously, largely history (unless it gets fairly specialized or deals with odd areas ie. Mutant Powers and their effects on the resurgence of ancient culture 1400-1700) and the mathematics courses. Conversly, he doesn't know how to make a bed, his penmanship is dreadful (he prefers a typewriter) and he is vainly hoping he can find someone to play cricket with him. And he stammers and lisps a little.

[COLOR=Indigo]That, my friend, is a lot of questions. ;) I shall try to respond to all of them as clearly and precisely as possible.

[B]Can you give us an idea of the geography? How big is the school? How many buildings? Is it walled? What kind of defences does it have... not only against people getting in, but against accidents with erratic powers?[/B]

The Davis Manor sits on a large tract of land in Riverdale, a community that has retained its rural, genteel country charm even when the rest of the Bronx is becoming more urbanized. It sits on a hill with a beautiful view the Jersey Palisades. Large oak trees line the edge of the estate.

There are four buildings that make up the school -- the main building (where all classes are held), two dormitories -- one for the males (known as the East Building) and one for the females (known as the West Building), and an apartment-like building where the teachers stay. The teachers' building is adjacent to the school itself, while the dorms are behind the school, in a triangle shape. (During the winter, the students may take the underground passages from their dorms to the school.) In the middle of this "triangle" is the field where all training exercises take place. The buildings are situated far enough so that they do not incur much damage during these exercises.

The best defense that the school has is its remoteness from the rest of civilization. In case a student does lose control of his or her powers, there are staff members on hand to either talk them down from it or physically supress their powers through forcefields and the like.

[B]Also, what are the living conditions like? Do we share rooms? Do we have servents? Are there general dogsbodies who I can ask about my missing luggage and who will tell me it was delivered five days ago by accident because it was put on a clipper ship by mistake? =) How long have we been in the school?[/B]

As mentioned before, there are two dorms for students, the East Building for the young men, and the West Building for the young women. There are approximately twenty rooms on four floors, and each floor has a common bathroom, kitchen, and living room. Both dorms have indoor plumbing, as well as electricity.

When the buildings were first built, it was assumed that each student would have his own room, but now, with the growth of the school, most students end up sharing rooms. As of now, there is a two-student limit in each room. In the dorms, there are no servants. Madame Davis wants her students to be self-sufficient, so she does not give them this luxury. However, there are servants in the school itself, as well as the teachers' building. So, yes, there are general dogsbodies there to ask about luggage. The one you would probably be asking is the butler, known as Mr. Edgar.

If you are a new student, you have been at the school (at the earliest) for approximately a week, though there are students that arrive later than that. Students returning from spending their summer holiday with their family have been at the school for the same amount of time. Students who did not choose to spend time with their family are allowed to stay in their dorm rooms until a week and a half before school begins, when they find out if they are being moved to another room.

[B]Also, is it possible to test out of courses?[/B]

It is entirely possible to test out of classes, by way of the placement exam. Students who test exceptionally well in certain sections of the test will be put into the higher-level courses.[/COLOR]

Hee, thanks!

Ah... so we can choose classes based on player fiat. If we assume our character knows the stuff, we can skip the class... or do the exams happen on the first day of school? And do you have an instructor list so we can go tug on their shirts?

Oh, and is there a uniform, or do we dress as we normally do. And if so... are we expected to DRESS for supper in evening dress?

[COLOR=Indigo][B]Ah... so we can choose classes based on player fiat. If we assume our character knows the stuff, we can skip the class... or do the exams happen on the first day of school?[/B]

The exams have already been taken, as they occur soon after you have been accepted into the Home but before the next school year starts.

[B]And do you have an instructor list so we can go tug on their shirts?[/B]

I have conferred with the other player who is playing an instructor, so here are the two instructors being played:

[B]Physiology:[/B] Laura Brooks
[B]Rhetoric:[/B] Lawrence P. Sheaves

The rest of the instructors are NPCs and can be used by anyone. I will be making a list of teachers and what classes they teach as they come up.

Madame Davis herself teaches the [B]Music[/B] and [B]Singing[/B] classes on Saturdays. Since she is headmistress now, she thinks she earns the right to lighten her workload.

[B]Oh, and is there a uniform, or do we dress as we normally do. And if so... are we expected to DRESS for supper in evening dress?[/B]

There are uniforms, yes. There are two types of uniforms worn to classes, depending on the weather outside -- the winter uniform and the spring & fall uniform.

[U]Winter uniform[/U]

[I]Boys:[/I] gray waistcoat, black vest, white band collar shirt, bowtie, grey striped trousers, and black square-toed shoes
[I]Girls:[/I] gray blouse, black skirt with a leather belt, and black pointed-toes boots

[U]Spring & Fall uniform[/U]

[I]Boys:[/I] almost identical to the winter uniform, except that the coat and shirt are lighter
[I]Girls:[/I] White high-collared blouse, bowtie, black skirt worn with a leather belt, and black pointed-toe boots. During the fall, a grey jacket may be worn over the blouse.

There are also seperate uniforms for the training exercises.

[I]Boys:[/I] turtleneck, knickerbockers, long socks, and gymnasium shoes
[I]Girls:[/I] divided gray serge skirt, lawn-tennis shoes, and gymnasium shoes

All students are expected to dress for supper in evening dress and report to the school dining room before six PM, when dinner is served.[/COLOR]

Guest elainemc
Since we have roommates, who's rooming with whom? And should we PM you, player-instructors, or both with class info?

And BTW, thanks for all the work you're doing on this. It's gonna be lots of fun.

[COLOR=Indigo][B]Since we have roommates, who's rooming with whom?[/B]

This is something that can be worked out between players, I think. If you want to room with someone, by all means, PM them and ask if your characters could be roommates. Just remember, though, that you can only room with someone of your character's gender -- which will not be a problem for all but two people, since the majority of you are playing young women. Please remember, also, that Laura Brooks and Lawrence P. Sheaves are [B]teachers[/B].

Once you do so, though, please PM me and let me know, so I won't be confused. I'm easily confused, you know.

[B]And should we PM you, player-instructors, or both with class info?[/B]

If you are going to be in one of the player-instructors' classes, it would be nice if you could PM them and let them know. By all means, PM me, also, with this information.

[B]And BTW, thanks for all the work you're doing on this. It's gonna be lots of fun.[/B]

Well, I sure hope so. ^_^[/COLOR]

Guest MothDarkfire
What sort of chores will they have?

Also, how long do the classes run, aproximately, and will they be held each day, or in some other form of scheduling?

Guest zoetheshort
Woot! Geology! :D
I have nothing serious to add, just to say that (a) I'm excited, (b) there's really no point in my character taking any sort of foreign language, is there, and (c) she's been at the school for a couple of years now, how does that figure into class placement?

[COLOR=Indigo]So many new questions! This makes me happy like happy things.

[B]What sort of chores will they have?[/B]

Everyone is expected to clean their own rooms, make their own beds, and basically tidy up their own space. Occasionally, there might be other chores to do, depending on how much trouble one gets themselves into. Hee.

[B]Also, how long do the classes run, aproximately, and will they be held each day, or in some other form of scheduling?[/B]

Classes run on a sixteen-week schedule, like any other school, with two sections split by the Christmas holiday -- so there is an Arithmetic 1 and Arithmetic 2, for example. (Think about how classes are split in high school nowadays, and you'll get the gist.) They are held Mondays through Fridays from 9 AM to 3 PM. The special Saturday classes run from 9-11 AM.

[B]I have nothing serious to add, just to say that (a) I'm excited, (b) there's really no point in my character taking any sort of foreign language, is there, and (c) she's been at the school for a couple of years now, how does that figure into class placement?[/B]

(b) Madame Davis believes that, for a person to be well-rounded and educated, one must learn a foreign language. This is why the students go through the torture of a Latin class. Heh.

(c) If your character has been in school for a couple of years by now, then she has been through the basic classes and is starting in the higher-level classes... such as Latin. :p

[B]Are we going to be following set plotlines or are we just, er, 'free-rping' (for lack of a better term) and seeing where things take us as we go along?[/B]

As I told someone else before, it'll be six of one and half a dozen of the other. ^_^ There will be plot points along the way that I will throw at all of you to keep things interesting, but I also want all of you to feel like you can take your character where they will.[/COLOR]

Ah most of my questions have been answered! ^^ I was wondering though if we'll have turns or what? I'm sorry, this is my first forum rp in ages and well I'm not sure how it will work. I suppose my question is just if there is an order or anything. That's what's keeping me from posting. (that and I'm trying to think of a good start for my character)

[COLOR=Indigo][B]I was wondering though if we'll have turns or what? I'm sorry, this is my first forum rp in ages and well I'm not sure how it will work. I suppose my question is just if there is an order or anything.[/B]

There are no real "turns" in this RP. If you get inspired to write a post, then, by all means, post! Just try to keep your character involved in the larger plot (loose as it is) without going on too much of a deviation. You'd think that'd be easy enough, but I've seen some people post things that made most of us go "WTF, mate?" Hee.[/COLOR]

Ril and I were wondering if, since there are so few PC teachers, if each of the players with a student could nominally control a teacher, or at least some of us could. That way we can more easily develop the teacher's personalities and have people running the classes rather than working on general concencus of NPC actions.

Also, I was wondering what people in NY think of the school? Do they know there are mutants there? If they do, do they approve? If some don't, are we in danger of pogroms? Madame Davis gave a speach about toleration and equality, but the very existance of this school proves that not everyone is created equal, and some rabid egalitarians/bigots might have it in for the school.

[COLOR=Indigo][B]Ril and I were wondering if, since there are so few PC teachers, if each of the players with a student could nominally control a teacher, or at least some of us could. That way we can more easily develop the teacher's personalities and have people running the classes rather than working on general concencus of NPC actions.[/b]

As long as people don't get too attached to these characters and start having them do crazy, Mary-Sue-type things, I think this is an acceptable solution. Because, as I have told people before, anything that makes life easier for me -- I am up for it.

[b]Also, I was wondering what people in NY think of the school? Do they know there are mutants there? If they do, do they approve? If some don't, are we in danger of pogroms? Madame Davis gave a speech about toleration and equality, but the very existance of this school proves that not everyone is created equal, and some rabid egalitarians/bigots might have it in for the school.[/b]

Most people in the area do not know what is occuring at the school as of yet. (A future plot point? Perhaps.) While some find Madame Davis's behavior -- and the events which are rumored to occur at her school -- bizarre, the good Madame's family ties and wealth have left her in the category of "eccentric-millionare-and-we'll-leave-it-at-that."

However, there have been pogroms in some other countries, and it is rumored that the people behind these might wash upon our shores sooner than expected...[/COLOR]

Ok... concept for Mathematics prof... you can decide whether or not you want him for all the math and physics or just some courses.

Professor Arkady Kerenski

Kerenski's family emigrated from Poland when he was a young boy in 1851. Thanks to contacts with families in the New World, they effected the transition relatively painlessly, and his parents worked as clerks in a large bank. The boy Arkady always had a startling facility with numbers that delighted his parents. He quickly got jobs working as a bookkeeper in company after company, but his mathematical abilities quickly outstripped anything seen before, and he had to subdue them in order to fit in, using a slide rule and paper when any question he needed to answer he could do in his head, instantly. At about the same time, he began to affect patterns in sand with his mind.

Romantically unsuccessful, frightened by his telekinesis, and ostracized because of his mental abilities, he retreated further and further into his work, and began drinking heavily and using opium. He was broke and working in a carnival as 'The Human Abacus' when Madame Davis found him and discovered what he really was, helping him come to terms with his powers and weaning him off the gin. They remain fast friends.

Powers: limited, but very finely controlled telekinesis. The ability to perform almost any calculation, up to and including second order integrations in his head effectively instantly and with little trouble.

Teaching style: While his powers make him an excellent mathematician and physicist, they do not necessarily make him a good teacher. He tends to be impatient with anyone who shows what he feels is 'Intentional Imbecility'. He is extremely sharp tongued and often lapses into Polish when irritated, but only uses the strap when students are obviously not trying. He prefers his tongue... most students prefer the strap.

His teaching, however, is incredible to watch. While largely useless, he uses his telekinesis to draw diagrams in the air with coloured sand which he keeps in basins under his desk, and he never uses a chalkboard. You have not seen a vector diagram until he has drawn it in the air with purple and green sand.

Ok? Oh, and Ril wants World History.

[COLOR=Indigo]Looking good, Leibsliede! ^_^ I think he could handle being the mathematics teacher, including physics, due to his age.

I'm also writing here to warn you guys that I might not be on as often, due to this new schedule at school. Especially this terrible research class that looks like it will take up 90% of my time. Bah. Stupid senior-level courses.

I'll be on as much as possible, though, so behave yourselves.[/COLOR]

Guest Rilarien
I swear I'll actually post soon. Working on the instructor-character - a bit blocked, even though I have most of the basics down. Is no one else taking instructors? (It would be sensible to let the current-instructors apply a student character if they wanted, too.)

Guest MothDarkfire
I've got the english teacher. Shall I post it here?

Edit: It occurs to me that we should have some post with a list of roommates, and class schedules, and such. It'd be a way to consolidate, so that, say, while Dollie and Lydia know they have their first class together, we'll be able to look and see who else is in those classes as well.

It'd be most useful for the teachers, of course... Have to know exactly who you're teaching, what you're teaching {english, for example, encompasses more than just reading} and when, right?

[COLOR=Indigo]Yes, I am still alive. Thank you for asking.

Okay, so, my research papers are kicking my behind, but I have not forgotten about this RP!

Please, everyone, feel free to interact with each other! Get to know everyone's characters better! POST! This will be coming in handy for the next phase of the plot, which I will be introducing bits and pieces of fairly soon.

As you may have noticed, I allowed someone to slip in a new teacher character even after I closed down the signups for now. I made an exception for XerxesSkyknyght's character because he will be helpful to the upcoming plot -- plus, we kinda needed another teacher, especially a PE teacher.

Signups will be opening up again as soon as I get the plot in motion. YAY!

[b]It occurs to me that we should have some post with a list of roommates, and class schedules, and such. It'd be a way to consolidate, so that, say, while Dollie and Lydia know they have their first class together, we'll be able to look and see who else is in those classes as well.

It'd be most useful for the teachers, of course... Have to know exactly who you're teaching, what you're teaching {english, for example, encompasses more than just reading} and when, right?[/b]

MothDarkfire brings up a good point. If you have any of this information, please, PM it to me as soon as you can. I'll be putting together a post of the class schedules I have at this point fairly soon, as well as the list of roommates.[/COLOR]

Cool, a new character. And good luck with those papers, school does come before RP. :3

Unfortunately, I'll be gone for about a week heading up to Canada for a trip, just thought that I should inform you... Hopefully more people will post in the meantime...!

[Edit:] Am back now and shall get cracking on a new post soon.