OtakuBoards

Jin vs. Kenshin

hailvane

i was just watching samurai champloo the other day and was admiring jin's moves. and i started to ponder onto all of the samurai shows i love so much. this brought on the question of who would win in a fight to the death; Jin or Kenshin?

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
ummmmm its jing by the way...well both are really cool dudes, but i think that it would all come down to a tie and a "we will meet again" but i totally think that both are equal cuz jin has two swords and kenshin has the reverse blade...soooo i dont really know, but i like mugen better than jing but jing better than kenshin....

------

mugen could win against kenshin with his amazing agility that far surpasses jins jin would probably be the one to lose...but i still am going with my first answer...

[COLOR=blue]You have to remember the backgrounds of these two shows. Kenshin is a fictional tale taking place in a true historical setting. Likewise, Kenshin's style is quite realistic.

On the other hand, Samurai Champloo is a fictional tale in a non-historical setting (just some Japanese place at some Samurai-related time). Jing's style, while holding some realistic rules, is quite outrageous. Some of the techniques he pulls really leaves him more open than is allowed by master Samurai's. Also, his balance is very exaggerated.

I would say a better comparison would be Samurai Deeper Kyo and Kenshin because the fighting styles are more realistic. Because Jing has the advantage of leaving himself open but having the ability to suddenly maintain an unrealistic balance and/or defense afterwards, it'd be hard to say who would win in a fight unless we decided in which universe they were fighting in. That is, does Kenshin come across Jing in the Kenshin universe, or Champloo universe?

If the former, I'm strongly tempted to say Kenshin would win without trouble. If the latter, I'm not quite sure how Kenshin would handle the new rules of physics. But I think he'd adapt pretty quickly. Still, since Jing's myriad of openings would no longer be openings, I'm not sure.

Need to watch more Champloo, I guess.[/COLOR]

EDIT: Crack, I was referring to Mugen, not Jing. X_X Ignore this post, haha.

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]You have to remember the backgrounds of these two shows. Kenshin is a fictional tale taking place in a true historical setting. Likewise, Kenshin's style is quite realistic.

On the other hand, Samurai Champloo is a fictional tale in a non-historical setting (just some Japanese place at some Samurai-related time). Jing's style, while holding some realistic rules, is quite outrageous. Some of the techniques he pulls really leaves him more open than is allowed by master Samurai's. Also, his balance is very exaggerated.

I would say a better comparison would be Samurai Deeper Kyo and Kenshin because the fighting styles are more realistic. Because Jing has the advantage of leaving himself open but having the ability to suddenly maintain an unrealistic balance and/or defense afterwards, it'd be hard to say who would win in a fight unless we decided in which universe they were fighting in. That is, does Kenshin come across Jing in the Kenshin universe, or Champloo universe?

If the former, I'm strongly tempted to say Kenshin would win without trouble. If the latter, I'm not quite sure how Kenshin would handle the new rules of physics. But I think he'd adapt pretty quickly. Still, since Jing's myriad of openings would no longer be openings, I'm not sure.

Need to watch more Champloo, I guess.[/COLOR]

EDIT: Crack, I was referring to Mugen, not Jing. X_X Ignore this post, haha.[/QUOTE]

I can see that but that girl will be his down fall in the end he's to soft maybe when [spoiler]kenshin was younger and didn't care about outcome. like that one when his was about to kill that guy who kiddnap her then last min she has to yell out[/spoiler] :animeangr

[COLOR=Navy]Hmm...that is a hard question. :animeswea

Actually, it sort of all depends on the sword styles they would use, but I have a feeling it would be a draw. You see, I understand that Kenshin was the battousai or in other words "Man Slayer" as ppl like to call it :p , but Jin has mastered his blade perfectly as well if you hadn't noticed. It seems that Jin also holds a lot of knowledge and skill, and that definatly would help him in battle.

Though, the thing that confuses me is that Jin has yet to defeat Mugen in the series. On the other hand, Kenshin was able to defeat plenty of his enemies easily, though not every single one. I think they just did that for the shows sake maybe.

Anyway, back to my real opinion, I think it would have to be a draw. :catgirl: [/COLOR]

Okay, I just killed about half of this thread. The next time it starts going downhill, it's going to be closed. Please, everyone, remember to try and write clearly. More importantly, if you're just going to post a sentence, the [i]least[/i] you can do is make it a complete sentence. Because versus topics tend to attract spam, we usually ask that you give a reason for your choice when posting in one... a reason more substantial than "Kenshin has cooler hair" or "Jin pwns." Thanks.

[quote name='Kyuui Me-Ka][COLOR=Navy']Though, the thing that confuses me is that Jin has yet to defeat Mugen in the series.[/COLOR][/quote]
I would argue that (some spoilers for the last episode, don't say I didn't warn you) [spoiler]Jin's superiority is implied, though never shown outright. He is the one who ultimately defeats Kariya, after all. I'm pretty certain there's other evidence pointing toward the idea that Jin would win if he and Mugen had a serious fight, but I'd have to re-watch the ending to tell you.[/spoiler]

I also agree with AzureWolf in that these two characters are really apples and oranges. The Rurouni Kenshin television series is totally all over the place in terms of fancy special abilities and emotional power-ups and getting up to fight again while half-dead and so forth. Obviously Champloo has its moments of wild unrealism as well, but in the serious episodes it is by comparison far more down-to-earth. It would make more sense, as far as I'm concerned, to set Jin against one of the characters from Peacemaker Kurogane.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Red]kenshin would totally win, but i don't think he would kill anyone, unless he lost it and went back to his really cool battousai state, but either way. i don't think jin would stand a chance against him [/COLOR]

Guest Mad-Hatter
I put my money on Kenshin. He is way quicker then Jin. You also might want to say if we are talking about Kenshin (TV) or Kenshin the Battousai (OVA). That also plays into it. Kenshin in the TV series is not as good as when he the Battousai in OVA. Just food for thought. Regaurdless he would still win.

K, I really love Jin. He is an amazingly skilled Samurai and his glasses rock, but his style doesn't seem quick and skillful enought to beat Kenshin. Kenshin is a pro at it and it comes naturally to him. Besides, I really like the red hair look on Kenshin, but nothing is wrong with black hair that's on Jin.. Bottom line....Kenshin would win, all the way.

It's pretty hard to say. I think jin could lay it on kenshin, but then kenshin is pretty quick and sharp, and jin's pretty laid back and traditional.BUT then I think jin has it in him to win, he just needs a worthy opponent.This is really hard, so I'll say: basicallyI think both would come out with a few scratches and say "until next time" making it an ongoing battle.