OtakuBoards

Techniques....

Guest Knightdelsol

Guest Knightdelsol
Hey, i'm a newcomer here, and i've been wondering, what software do you guys use or techniques you ppl use to make wallpapers and graphics...
seeing the stuff you can do is somewhat inspirational :animeblus

any replies would be appreciated...

Thanks

[SIZE=1]Hey, Knighdelsol.

Personally, I use [b]Photoshop CS[/b], however many others can do just as well with [B]Paint Shop Pro[/B] or [B]GIMP[/b]. Photoshop (PS) and Paint Shop Pro (PSP) are programs you must pay for, however GIMP is free, and can be downloaded from [url=http://gimp.org/][b]here.[/b][/url] Again, PS and PSP are both equally capable, while GIMP is on the lower end of the spectrum, but at the end of the day, hardwork trumps all.

I'd like to see some stuff you crank out once (if?) you download GIMP.[/SIZE]

Guest Knightdelsol
Hey Retribution, thanks for replying. i'll check out GIMP as soon as i can... how much do you have to pay for photoshop cs or paint shop pro?

[SIZE=1]Not a problem.

Photoshop information can be found [url=www.adobe.com][b]here[/b][/url], while Paint Shop Pro information can be found [url=www.corel.com][b]here[/b][/url]. They're both going to run you at least $700, so unless you're serious about graphic design, I'd recommend GIMP. If nothing else, use it to test the waters for free, rather than get into serious debt with something you don't enjoy anyway. Remember though, that you can find these products used for significantly less than if they were new. Others resort to piracy of these products, but you usually end up with program flaws, and stealing a very large product -- don't do that, and I'm not kidding.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Also, once you get the hang of dabbling in GIMP, it's entirely possible to try out PS and PSP. Both Adobe and Corel offer about... 30 day trials for their software. I'm not recommending to suddenly go and use them, but thought I'd inform you, after you get a feel for GIMP.
[/size]

Guest Knightdelsol
alright thanks. i'll see what happens once i download gimp.and thanks again for you guys helping me out.
:cool:

[color=teal]EDIT:[/color] Riiiiight. i just got finished downloading it.... i have no flipping clue on what i'm doing. i think i'm going to be spending the next couple of days just reading the user's manual. in the mean time, if anyone can possibly show me any works made by the GIMP, so i can get a feel for what it can do? :animeswea

[color=teal]Welcome to OtakuBoards, Knightdelsol. Among the rules that we have set up that you can find on the side panel, we ask that members do not post more than once in a row. Instead, simply use the Edit button below your post to add whatever it is that you need. Thanks. -Syk3[/color]

[SIZE=1]Well, I wouldn't recommend reading the user's manual too deeply. Skim it to get a feel for what the general, basic controls do and then set off learning through experience. You'll find that doing it this way is more rewarding in the sense that you'll learn faster, and it's flat out more fun that way. If you want a jump on the game, head [url=http://www.pixel2life.com/tutorials/Gimp/All/][b]here[/b][/url] for a few tutorials.

Good luck on your future work.[/SIZE]

Guest Knightdelsol
meh, i fooled around with it alittle. It would seem to me that the both of you know quite a bit in regards to GIMP, and i'm wondering what calibur work is possible with it? (for example, on the main site, some of the works in the gundam wing section or Naruto) again, it'd help me to see some works done by people who use GIMP.

Thanks again.