OtakuBoards

A Higher Order [PG14 - V, poss. S]

Muad'Dib

[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]Volkmar sneered. "You can't be so careless, fool," He said, making sure he was to the side of the group where everyone could be in his line of site. "This is a bit more complicated and dangerous then your safe high realm and needs a less juvinial solution. If one of us gets into trouble and is attacked, we wouldn't be able to hold our own, trust me. Not that I have any problem with yous being picked off, I just need a little insurance," he stated rather harshly.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]Chepin kind of turned his head to one side. "He's kind of right...." he said bluntly.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=#2e8b57][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=#2e8b57]OOC: Yay! I got to say 'yous'![/color][/size][/font]

Ahru gave no outward sign of anger as she approached the Jackal. Her gold eyes glared into his and her tail twitched. ?You?re afraid, are you?? she purred, holding her hand up between herself and Volkmar. She flexed her fingers and her nails shot out into sharp, dark claws. Volkmar?s eyes flashed but he did not flinch.

Ahru?s voice had changed to a threatening hiss. ?I don?t pretend to think this will be easy, but I have my claws to protect me, I don?t need someone else.? Retracting her claws, Ahru sauntered away. ?I am not afraid of these low-life Netherworld flith.?

?Liar,? Volkmar muttered just quietly enough that Ahru didn?t hear him.

?So what are we going to do?? Felan asked impatiently.

Mine shifted nervously. ?Well, we could keep walking together while we think of something??

Ahru remained silent. The others took that as a ?yes? and continued their trek across the grim wasteland.

OOC: that was fun ^_^

Mine felt cold and alone in this bleak land. It was nothing like she had thought it would be. It was so...boring. And yet, she sensed a foul presence in this land.
She sighed heavily and muttered under her breath, "Stupid girl! Look at what your curiosity has gotten you into [I]this[/I] time!"
An idea flashed across her mind. She gently tugged on Chepin's sleeve and asked, "What if we, I don't know, split into two even groups, one going in one direction, the other going the opposite? Wouldn't that be safer, yet still efficient?"

[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]"Fine," Volkmar barked, "It's better then nothing. I won't have to sit here and snarl at you fools atleast. But groups of two. Three different directions."[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]He turned his back on the group. Something he hadn't done the entire time. "Get a partner and go your seperate ways. Be gone for no longer then an hour." He turned back around and flashed his teeth. "Rat-dog, you're coming with me." He snarled, turning back around and begining to walk off.[/color][/size][/font]

Ahru let out a terse hiss. Her earlier approval of Volkmar had dissipated into a feeling of disdain. ?First he says my idea is foolish and now he agrees with it! I wish the stupid canine would make up his mind!? she thought.

?Whatever you say, Jackal,? Ahru muttered. ?Whoever wants to come with me, come! I?m not waiting around.?

With a flick of her tail Ahru walked away in the direction opposite from Volkmar. She didn?t even look back to see if anyone was following her.

OOC: confused? pairs or threes?

[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]OOC: Pairs.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]Chepin glanced at the rest of the group, then at Volkmar, walking away, most likely twitching like all hell from having his back to them.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]He smiled at the rest of the group then bounded after Volkmar. Chepin jumped up onto his back, causing Volkmar to stumble forward and fall flat on his face. Volkmar rather quickly pushed Chepin off of himself and proceeded to stand while pulling Chepin infront of him. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]"Walk," He snapped, almost out of patients with the Fox. He managed to glance over his shoulder at the remaining 3, still deciding who was to go where. He looked at Chepin again. This may have been a bad choice. Volkmar had figured that Chepin's overactive nature would keep himself occupied. Oh, was he going to be occupied.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]Volkmar looked out to the distance. Still nothing. Not even a damned bird or a tree. Volkmar had thought he'd enjoy the peace. He wasn't exactly right. He began to realize that an open plain was bad for him. If he'd been by himself, he would be so skittish and so anxious. Atleast he had Chepin to keep his mind focused. And that was quite enough.[/color][/size][/font]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]OOC: Sorry about another brief absence. Things are hectic lately.
~~~

Chepin complied a little relunctantly, having a lot of excited energy to burn. He gazed along the horizon, wishing he had gone with someone more... fun. But at least, he told himself, Volkmar could protect them if they ran into trouble. Of course, being what he was, Chepin couldn't hold still for long. With trained silence, he neared the jackal's backside and tugged on his tail playfully. Volkmar stopped so suddenly Chepin bumped into his shoulder. He whirled on the fox, his expression barely controlled. "I will [i]not[/i] tolerate your games, rat-dog," his hand twitched as if he was struggling to keep it from grabbing Chepin around the neck.

Chepin's face became innocent and sad, looking at Volkmar with wide eyes. The jackal looked even more annoyed and turned to start walking again, wondering just how old Chepin was. As soon as Volkmar had looked away, Chepin's face returned to it's cheerful norm. He had a lot of work to do on this stubborn spirit.

OOC: Don't worry Runy, I'll make it more interesting in the next post.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]OOC: Chepin and Volkmar are wandering off as a pair, and Ahru is going off in another direction, waiting for someone to follow her. Mine, Genevieve and Felan are standing together, deciding who's going with Ahru and who's going off as the third pair. Clear now?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]OOC: 'Ahru'? sounds too much like Aru', eh? *goes off and giggles*[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]IC: Volkmar stretched his back out as he walked. Bareing his clws, he took the chance to look over his shoulder. Just slightly within his vision was Genevieve and Mine walking off and Felan running to catch up with Ahru. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]Volkmar turned back to face forwards. Chepin was being suspiciously quiet. [i]Must be getting tired. Damned thing's cute when he's tired.[/i] Volkmar let himself grin a little.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]OOC: *cough*[/color][/size][/font]

?Wait, wait!? Felan called after Ahru, running towards her.

She sighed and turned, giving him a death glare. ?How am I stuck with you??

Felan had finally caught up. He was doubled over, hands on his knees, panting. ?Gen- Genevieve and Mine went together. I was all alone so I followed you.? He looked up, sunny and hopeful.

Ahru turned around and started walking again. ?Keep an eye out for food and water.?

Felan made his face as serious as possible and nodded with beaming determination.

?And I don?t want to have to tell you anything twice,? Ahru added in a low voice.

Felan?s face fell and his ears drooped. ?Okay?? He began to follow her, from a distance. After a few minutes, the boredom became unbearable and he finally spoke up. ?Say Ahru? how come you came here? You don?t seem to be excited at all.?

?Don?t ask me that,? Ahru hissed, not even looking back at the Wolf cub.

?I was real excited to come!? Felan piped up, his tail swishing.

?This isn?t a game,? Ahru said dryly.

?If you aren?t curious, then why did you come??

Ahru whirled around, her gold eyes flashing. ?I told you not to ask me that!?

?Sorry?? Felan whimpered. ?I didn?t mean to upset you.?

They continued their trek across the dim landscape in silence, Felan half-jogging to keep up with Ahru?s long stride. Soon Ahru stopped short. Felan ran right into her, earning another death glare.

?A stream,? she said.

Felan jumped around her and bent down near the stream. ?It sure smells like water!?

Ahru dipped her hand in, scooping some water. She glared the crystalline liquid as it flowed through her fingers. Taking another scoop, she tasted the water. ?It?s safe as far as I can tell.?

?How far is that?? Felan asked innocently.

Ahru merely glared at him.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]OOC: Back in business... alright, I'll try and get this moving a little faster.
~~~

Chepin yawned, mouth opening wide to reveal sharp teeth. "This place is no fun." Volkmar remained silent, though the fox had the impression that he agreed. By now, the three groups were nearly out of sight range, even on the flat landscape. At times Volkmar had to make Chepin keep going, tired legs holding him back. The sun was dull and gray, but they could still feel the heat bearing down on them.

Without warning, Chepin stumbled and fell face-first into what appeared to be a large ditch. Standing up shakily, the fox looked up at his companion, "Did I just fall in a hole?"

"Yes..." the gap in the ground was so unexpected Volkmar could think of nothing else to say. Upon closer inspection, they could see a smaller hole leading off into the ground, covered by a thin piece of graying cloth.

After a long pause, Chepin spoke up, "Where do you think it goes?" But before the jackal could make any guesses as to where the mysterious hole went, a head poked up from inside, looking behind it and talking to someone within, "... no, only me and Ja-" The head stopped speaking as it's eyes rested upon the two spirits. What followed was a long silence in which Volkmar and Chepin saw that the head was attatched to a body with a long, furless black tail swishing through the air behind it. A lesser spirit.

The surprised spirit suddenly realised who (or rather, what) the two strangers were and turned to dart back into the hole. But before he could do so, Volkmar had rushed forward to grab it's tail and pull it back above ground. Before the lesser spirit could call out, the jackal had his hand over it's mouth. He motioned with his head to Chepin and they hurried out of the ditch and onto level ground, their catch squirming in Volkmar's grip.[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]"Okay!" Genevieve shouted and pointed west. "I wanna go that way! We probably able to find someone or something, okay?"

"Alright." Mine responded.

The two of them walked along side by side with each in an arkward silence. Genevieve decided to sniff the air along the way which kind of bothered Mine.

"Find anything? Or should I say 'smell'?" Mine asked.

"Nope. Nothing for now."

"Nothing for now? What's that suppose to mean?"

"We're bound to find something sooner or later." Genevieve smiled.

"Okay."

Mine and Genevieve both quickened their pace so they could find some food soon.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

?They aren?t back yet?? Felan whined, looking around like he was lost. ?Are you sure we came back to the right place??

Ahru crossed her arms and glared at him. ?Doubting me, Wolf??

?But they aren?t here??

Ahru pointed up at the hazy sun. ?The Jackal said to be back in an hour. It hasn?t been an hour yet. Just because we found something doesn?t mean they did.?

?Oh? But the place? What if this is the wrong place??

?Over there are the rocks I wanted to make camp at earlier,? Ahru said, pointing at the small outcropping. ?And here are everyone?s foot prints. And with that nose of yours? can?t you smell everyone?s scent??

Felan nodded. ?I can! We ARE in the right spot. Do you always know stuff like that? Is it like a six sense??

Even as the Wolf cub spoke those words, they echoed in Ahru?s mind? in a very different voice.

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]You read me like a book. Do you always know things like that? Is it your six sense?[/I][/COLOR]

?Sakis?? Ahru whispered.

Felan cocked his head. ?What??

Ahru turned around and snapped at him. ?You talk too much!?

Felan?s ears drooped. ?Sorry??

[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]A wonder if his catch was edible crossed Volkmar's mind. It sure wasn't very strong, as he could hold it easily. [i]It's weak. Must be unhealthy. Sickly, even.[/i] He thought.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]Volkmar glanced at Chepin. He was looking at the spirit curiously. Chepin poked it. It squeaked. "Not very impressive," Chepin said, almost disapointed. He then added, "Kinda cute, though."[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=#2e8b57]Volkmar raised an eyebrow. "Go look to see if there's anymore down there. They seem weak, I'm sure even [i]you [/i]could handle restraining one."[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=#2e8b57]Volkmar sniffed at it. It wriggled in his grip as Chepin made his way back into the ditch-like hole.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=#2e8b57]OOC: I wanna eat it. :catgirl: [/color][/size][/font]

OOC: Sorries for going AWOL! My compy died and when we "ressurected" it, it had no internet!!

Mine walked behind Genevieve, her eyes shifting about. Suddenly, they caught something in the distance.
"Oh! Look!"
"Huh?" Genevieve spun around.
Mine pointed directly at a crater to the right of them. "Let's check that out!"
Mine gracefully bounded up the side of the massive concaved earth and peered over the edge. Inside the bowl was a small family of hideous lesser spirits curled together in their sleep.
Genevieve popped up beside her.
"Oooohhh...Do you think we can eat them?"
Mine shuddered at their grotesque appearance.
"I don't think I would want to eat them either way...But keep it down! We don't want to make ourselves known quite yet!"
"Oh...We could capture them and take them with us when we meet up with the others!" Genevieve offered.
"That sounds like a plan." Mine nodded and, stealthily, pulled an empty pouch from her belt and gently scooped the ugly threesome into it.
With that, they continued looking for food.

The waiting was getting to Ahru again. She found a small, flat stone, brushed the dust off of it and sat down. She glanced over at Felan to make sure he wasn?t causing trouble. He had plopped down on the ground and was tearing some twigs apart with all the anxious wrath of a bored little boy. Ahru let out an audible sigh of relief. She didn?t like being responsible for anyone else but by default she had been stuck with the cub.

She gazed out across the disappointing landscape and, without really meaning to, let her mind wander.

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]Ahru? that?s a pretty name. It suits you, I think.[/I][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Sienna]Don?t say such stupid things.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]Why not? What?s wrong with saying things that are true?[/I][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Sienna]You?re such a child. Don?t waste my time.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]I?m older than you are.[/I][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Sienna]Then act like it![/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]Would that make you happy?[/I][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Sienna]?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]No? Then what? What can I do to make you happy?[/I][/COLOR]

?Come back?? Ahru whispered aloud.

Suddenly Felan let out a cry of surprise. ?GAH! It?s a? It?s a thing! Lady, come and look at this thing!?

?My name isn?t ?Lady? you idiot,? Ahru snapped as she made her way over to the Wolf cub.

?Hurry,? he whined, ?It?s gonna bite me!?

She peered over his shoulder to see a small, ugly black creature pinned to the ground under his hand. The vile thing struggled and thrashed beneath Felan?s grip. The look on Felan?s face was a priceless mix of fascination and terror.

?I don?t want it to bite me?? He whined again.

Ahru made a face and drew the knife the Crow had given her earlier. It was long, thin and slightly curved. She pushed Felan?s hand out of the way and pinned the creature down more securely. With one swift stroke of her knife the creature fell silent.

?You killed it?? Felan whimpered.

Ahru glared at him. ?Of course. You said you didn?t want it to bite you.?

Felan looked extremely distraught. ?It was just a little thing. You didn?t have to kill it. That?s just? that?s mean!?

Ahru stabbed her knife in and out of the ground a few times to wipe it off. ?I have no pity for such wretched creatures.?

?But??

?Your naiveté is sickening.?

[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]Chepin came back up from the ditch. "No, I can't see anything more. I'm not going all the way down there, though!" He said, looking back at the hole. Volkmar sniffed at his catch and looked at Chepin.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]"Hungry?" He asked, with almost a grin. "I am.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]Volkmar looked at the lesser spirit again and bit into it's neck. It squeeked rather pathetically, then died. Chepin stared at Volkmar, his fangs still in the spirit's jugular.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]"..........You killed it!" He said, rushing forward to Volkmar. "No shit." Volkmar replied, licking his lips. Volkmar dug his fangs into the spirit's flesh once again, this time ripping the small creature up and devouring it.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]Chepin just watched in a mixture of awe and shock.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow][size=2][color=seagreen]Volkmar looked up at Chepin as he cleaned off his paws and hair. "Go catch your own." he said bluntly.[/color][/size][/font]

• 3 weeks later...
Ahru glanced up at the sickly excuse for the sun that hung in the hazy sky. It had been far longer than an hour? yet only she and the Wolf had returned.

?Idiots,? she muttered aloud, probably just to break the silence, ?Volkmar said be back in an hour. They?re late.?

Suddenly, a thought surfaced in her mind. What if they weren?t coming back? ?That?s just stupid,? she hissed to herself.