OtakuBoards

what is better in an Anime

serenayasha

I prefer shocking, unpredictable stuff. Stuff like Fullmetal Alchemist, Paranoia Agent, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and the plot-driven episodes of Cowboy Bebop seem to fit my tastes perfectly.

Of course, I'll take a predictable story if it is done well, as with The Place Promised in Our Early Days. Also, Miyazaki's stuff and Gundam series always have some predictable elements (usually of the setting/character archtype variety), but often include a few less predictable plot twists that add to the enjoyment of the quality storytelling.

Well, of course I like a mix of both. But I suppose I lean a little (just a smidge!) towards predictable. If it becomes too unpredictable, it becomes a little annoying plotwise, unless it's a very random, humorous story. Suprises are great, I just don't want to be disatisfied with a weird twist. I suppose it depends on what kind of story it is >_>;

• 3 weeks later...
Both. Though lately I like unpredictable because for some reason the anime that I watch are becoming very predicatable...But then again when something really unpredictable happens it can sometimes make me really angry because I didn't want it turn out that way, so.... Whoa....Sorry, I just confused myself. Um, yeah, both.

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]I would rather prefer an Anime that is unpredictable since predictable ones wouldent really have a story at all. If I can see in an Anime whats going to happen at the end then what is the point of watching it really? However in a more unpredictable anime all it needs is one simple thing to totally turn the flow of an anime in an opposite direction. Thats one quality that I like to see the most.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#656448][SIZE=1]A mix of both appeals to Delta the most.

Showing new stuff won't hurt; they're what make good anime unique, yeah? But I'm very slow when it comes to following plots and it would be totally frustrating if the series I'm watching is just a barrage of the unfamiliar and unpredictable. I also like a good deal of logic in my stories so before the creators throw any plot twist at me, they should imply (and I should see) the progression of events that led to such a twist.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Personally, I prefer an Anime with a mix of both qualities. I think that an anime with both can lead to greater enjoyment of a show, with elements that are predictable (story elements such as "shady dark pasts" and stuff) and stuff that turns upside-down and even contradicts other stuff.