OtakuBoards

Does One of the Japanese Censors Have a Grudge Against Shinichiro Wantannabe or What?

EVA Unit 100

Cowboy Bebop, a 26 episode series, was spliced into 13 episodes when it first aired. I guess I understand where it was coming from, even if I disagreed with it, because that was in the ultracensored era right after EVA. But now, 10 years after EVA where Japanese censorship has started to ease up more, another wierd thing has happened: the new Bebop game has had all cigarettes removed from the anime cutscenes and replaced with various random objects for its initial Japanese release. They say this is to keep the game within a T rating, but the T-rated One Piece: Grand Battle contained lots of smoking in it's Japanese release an other. It seems that content Japan is fine with in other animes gets heavily censored in Bebop, while it seems to be almost the exact opposite in America. Any reason for this? Perhaps it has to do with lack of SD in Bebop (shows with a lot of SD seem to be a selling point in Japan, but more of a turn-off in America unless you're advertising to young kids or eccentric hardcore otaku).

[COLOR=DarkGoldenrod][SIZE=1]4kids agents have finallly infiltrated the Japanese censorship boards. Mmm hmm.

There must have been a different reviewing panel this time around, or stricter enforcement of some "no smokes for minors" law. But I must admit, even with those around, editting the cigs out from CB is pretty harsh. I mean, smoking is practically the only thing the Bebop gang did if they weren't out knocking people around.[/SIZE][/COLOR]