OtakuBoards

America to Me [E]

Retribution

[SIZE=1]This is a writing assignment for AP English III. We had to describe what America means to ourselves. So here it is - a desperate attempt at verbalizing my emotions and ideas. Tell me what you think about it.

[b]America to Me[/b]

It?s difficult to voice my feelings of my country; it is hate, sadness, anger, love, pride, and happiness welling in my soul. What is America to me? America is a murderous machine that cares not what happens to those who live in the streets. It never stops, it never sleeps, with the wheels of capitalism moving coldly past those locked behind the bars of mainstream society. America?s skyscrapers glisten in the sun, heralding its accomplishments, its strength, its glory. The minutemen walk the street to their destinations, running at a moments notice to their jobs to keep America running. Martin Luther Kings and Abraham Lincolns work the nightshifts, keeping the America glowing with the buzz of industry. We unite, singing of our victory in the future, we are powerful and righteous, fighting World War II, we are adventurous, daring, hearty, delving westward into the heart of America.

But we are too good to roll the windows down and give a dollar to the beggar. We are too religious to accept differences. We are too bigoted to overcome the chains of racism. America sits at the top of the Sears Tower, the Chrysler Building, too apathetic to care about the households being torn apart. Too cold to stop the murder of children. Too rich to toss a dollar to the man rotting in his clothes. We twist the lock and bolt the door to homosexuals, to minorities, to the poor. We let them rot and die behind the gates; out of sight, where they will not stir society from its deepening coma of ignorance.

By the dawn?s early light may you see those rotting, those shut away, those dismissed from our eyes. America is too beautiful to exclude them. America is too magnificent to keep others away from. May our youth welcome a new day to America, where everyone is truly equal. May our sacrifice be for a higher purpose and greater good. May they be welcomed into the land of the free, and the home of the brave.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][B]America to Me[/B]

A swell group of continents, mostly located in the Western hemisphere.

[B]The United States to Me[/B]

The political equivilant of a Bigger Brother. They get on your nerves somtimes - heck, all the time. They ignore you, and if they don't, they push you around. They'll break into your room and steal your stuff - and when you tell Mother (In this case the UN) they'll ignore her - but that doesn't keep Mother from heavily favouring him. Everyone's attention is always focused on him, everyone talks about him and everyone knows him - he's the uber-popular kid at school who's shadow you live in. Virtually unkown to him, you study and you practice and you do your damndest to make him notice you - but no matter what happens, he is your major influence, like it or not.

Nontheless, when it comes right down to it, he'll be there for you - and likewise you'll be there for him. You have your squabbles and your fights, but your still brothers.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Retribution][SIZE=1]This is a writing assignment for AP English III. We had to describe what America means to ourselves. So here it is - a desperate attempt at verbalizing my emotions and ideas. Tell me what you think about it.

[b]America to Me[/b]

It?s difficult to voice my feelings of my country; it is hate, sadness, anger, love, pride, and happiness welling in my soul. What is America to me? America is a murderous machine that cares not what happens to those who live in the streets. It never stops, it never sleeps, with the wheels of capitalism moving coldly past those locked behind the bars of mainstream society. America?s skyscrapers glisten in the sun, heralding its accomplishments, its strength, its glory. The minutemen walk the street to their destinations, running at a moments notice to their jobs to keep America running. Martin Luther Kings and Abraham Lincolns work the nightshifts, keeping the America glowing with the buzz of industry. We unite, singing of our victory in the future, we are powerful and righteous, fighting World War II, we are adventurous, daring, hearty, delving westward into the heart of America.

But we are too good to roll the windows down and give a dollar to the beggar. We are too religious to accept differences. We are too bigoted to overcome the chains of racism. America sits at the top of the Sears Tower, the Chrysler Building, too apathetic to care about the households being torn apart. Too cold to stop the murder of children. Too rich to toss a dollar to the man rotting in his clothes. We twist the lock and bolt the door to homosexuals, to minorities, to the poor. We let them rot and die behind the gates; out of sight, where they will not stir society from its deepening coma of ignorance.

By the dawn?s early light may you see those rotting, those shut away, those dismissed from our eyes. America is too beautiful to exclude them. America is too magnificent to keep others away from. May our youth welcome a new day to America, where everyone is truly equal. May our sacrifice be for a higher purpose and greater good. May they be welcomed into the land of the free, and the home of the brave.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

It is very well written, indeed. Though I don't agree with some of the stuff you said, I still support other parts. I do see people giving money to those who need it and helping others in trouble (I can't walk down the street without seeing people helping with the Katrina Hurricane victims). I see a strong nation who has pride and though we can be bossy and sometimes air-headed, I still don't think we're cruel. A lot of the time we're there to help. I'm proud of America, even if it has bad qualities. But every country does. And just because certain people in it do wrong things doesn't make everyone in that country the same. I know more civilized and friendly people than cruel.

Good work. I'm sure that's an A paper. I hope no one takes offense to it, of course. That'd be downright silly.