OtakuBoards

Metroid Dread

BlueYoshi

[color=darkred]Surely you all must know about this, but just in case you don't, Metroid Dread is Nintendo's answer to a 2D Metroid game for the DS (well, it's rumoured to be), meaning Hunters isn't all that's on offer.

My main reason for making this thread though is pretty much just to hear everyone's theories on how the DS will implement certain aspects into the game. Sure, the bulk of it will most likely be the 2D side-scrolling, back-tracking Metroid we all know and love, but considering the DS' capabilities, there are bound to be many other aspects involved.

For one, I think the Morph Ball will take advantage of the DS in some way or another, whether it be using the stylus to roll around for more precise mobility, or if there will be 3D third-person puzzles reminiscent to those in Metroid Prime.

There are many possibilities, such as how Nintendo will go about bosses and certain enemies, and there's always the question of the DS' second screen, which is most obviously assumed to display the map features -- I imagine one which resembles that of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, though there could be more to it.

So, people, any other thoughts as to how the DS will go about this?[/color]

I saw this game on a leaked list that showed what Nintendo was showcasing at E3. I remember Twilight Princess was also on the list, before the name had officially been announced, so I just assumed it was a load of bull****. Then TP was revealed as the official title for Zelda and I began to wonder; in the end, however, I just decided that it was another name for pinball or hunters or something.

Anyway, if it is real, I really don't know how they'd impliment the DS' capabilities. Bombu, I'd have to agree with your morphball theory - the main aspects of the game would be 2D (perhaps sprites on a 3D background?) with the morphball elements allowing for 3D movement.

Maybe it'll be fully 2D, but incorporate the 2 screens throughout the entire game, resulting in a tall viewing area, ala Yoshi Touch & Go.

Apart from that, who knows, but here's hoping that this game really is in development - the more metroid the better.

I just wish they would stop messing with metroid. IT WAS PERFECT AS IT WAS! we dont need to have to touch something to make samus move or whatnot, we need 2 buttons and an arrow pad! I honestly think the DS was a waste of resources and we couldve made more PSPs with the materials.

[quote name='Ragnarok']I just wish they would stop messing with metroid. IT WAS PERFECT AS IT WAS! we dont need to have to touch something to make samus move or whatnot, we need 2 buttons and an arrow pad![/quote]

[color=darkred]Well, to some extent I can tell where you're coming from. Seeing as all of the 2D Metroid games so far have revolved around the same structure, particularly the exploration debacle, then I guess moulding 3D elements into the game could be a bad thing, but then again, it could be a completely innovative feature that many future titles would be keen to pick up on.

I just hope it's no where near as easy as Fusion and Zero Mission.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]Actually, I hadn't heard anything about this before now. Is there any solid information or is it all just rumors so far?

Personally, I wouldn't mind the dual screens being implemented as extra viewing area. I mean, there's always plenty of shafts in Metroid games, so it could certainly be handy. And for fighting Ridley. ... Man, that would've been nice in Super Metroid. It could be hard to keep track of where exactly the bugger was, only being able to see half the area of the room at once. It's not especially innovative, but then, putting the map on the second screen isn't either.

I just hope they don't try to use the touch screen too much. Making it so you could select between missiles/super missiles or whatever by touching the corresponding icon could be neat, but I'd still want a button to toggle through things. For Metroid, you need both hands on the buttons (touch control movement would be horrible in a 2D sidescrolling game), so having a toggle button would probably be easier, faster, and less error prone than having to touch an on screen icon while in the heat of battle.

Personally, I think the 2D Metroid formula has nearly been perfected in terms of control. I don't think any of the DS' extra input devices would really improve things at all. Though what I would like is the ability to remap the control configuration, like you could do in Super Metroid. I can't stand the default configuration in Super Metroid, so being able to remap the controls was really nice. And now with the DS having just as many buttons as the SNES, I have a feeling that may be needed once again.

To really perfect it I still think you need at least three shoulder buttons, though. Two for aiming diagonally up and down, and one to activate missiles. (So that you don't have to take your thumb off the jump/fire buttons to pop off a quick missile or two.) Holding L and then pushing down to aim diagonally down works okay in Fusion and Zero Mission, but after playing Super Metroid again I could really tell those two had been designed so that you don't need to aim diagonally down very often. In Super Metroid you need to do it all the time, and quickly too.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Actually, I hadn't heard anything about this before now. Is there any solid information or is it all just rumors so far?[/color][/quote]

[color=darkred]I first heard about it in NOM UK, a few months ago. All I know is that it's currently in development, but all the rest is a mystery. As far as rumours go though, NOM said that Metroid Dread is real.[/color]