OtakuBoards

The Psychic Phenomenon

AzureWolf

[COLOR=green]I experienced an interesting performance by the infamous Evasons (you can read about mine and Terry's [url=http://ceruleanmist.digital-memoirs.net/2006/02/03/93/]here[/url] if you are so interested) and it got me thinking: how many people are into this psychic mumbo-jumbo? I know it's the latest craze to merge science and religion, and be like, all spiritual but with a logical basis or whatever, but the psychic phenomenon is a bit... stupid?

My experiences with psychics, mind readers, and tarot readers has been a mixed bag: some are very precise and convincing (the Evasons being the most unbelieveably amazing of the bunch), while others are obviously full of it. In conclusion, I think it's just a magic trick, where I'm just missing the trick behind the colorful performance. But I don't have much basis or experience to go on. Being a psychology minor helps, but really, not by much.

So what are your experiences and conclusions?[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]My mother believes in it seeing as she has gone to a physic and actually payed money for it. However, I can't say that I believe in most of them. If there are real "physics" out there, they are not the ones charging you money for readings. I believe it would come naturally not the ones that can "see into the future" anytime they so choose too. That is just a load of crap.

The physic that my mother went too sounds like a joke, apparently I'm going to move up north with some guy, get married and have three children. This goes against most of my plans since I plan to move to a University in Southern California, I plan to adopt and I've planned never to get married (thats not to say I couldn't have a boyfriend). My views haven't changed for 5 years so what will make them change so drastically?

That's not to say that it couldn't happen, but that's just kind of an odd assumption about me especially since it goes against what I want for my future. Physics are a very hard topic to understand especially since I don't know many to judge on. But for most of my experiences, I'm too complicated of a person for them to get a "reading" on me so I'd have to say more then half are in it solely for the money. I'm almost waiting for the next one to tell me I'm batman, which actually might turn out to suit me just fine.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#656446][quote]...doesn?t everyone had that utterly stupid reaction when someone claims to be able to read minds? Suddenly the only thing you can think of is sex.[/quote]Guilty as charged.

Though I've had my share of extremely convincing psychics, I never believed that they could actually do what they claim. I am of the opinion that a good lot of them rely on subtle suggestions. They make you think what they want you to think, yeah?

I am still rather fascinated at how tarot readers come up with interpretations, however accurate or ludicrous, with just a spread of cards. Readers I've been to insist that they act only as guides to possible/alternative courses of action, and they help me a lot 'cause I tend to have a one-track mind when it comes to solving personal problems. [/COLOR]

Well ive never had a psychic reading or any thing like that i do belive people can have those ablities. One reason is i myself have a gift to read peoples thoughts before they are spoken out loud or put in to action, the only problem is that its subconscious and i cant really control when it happens but i hear there are ways to practice and master this ladent talent that i have that would be so kewls. (i'd probly be able to pic up on some really hot honeys that dig me :D ).