OtakuBoards

Daicon IV

Fasteriskhead

Hopefully this is old news. If not, [link removed] and prepare to have your head blown clean off.

Back in the heady days of 1981 the guys who would later become the grand old men of Gainax (creators of Evangelion, FLCL, Gunbuster, etc.), Hideaki Anno, Takami Akai, and Hiroyuki Yamaga, got together to make a short movie for the Japan Science Fiction Convention in Osaka (nicknamed Daicon). This movie was Daicon III, which you can view [link removed]. As good as Daicon III is, though, it's still obviously made by amateurs - two years later the proto-Gainax folks made a second run and produced Daicon IV, which I linked back in the first paragraph. Now, Daicon IV is one of my favorite pieces of animation [i]ever[/i]. First, it's unbelievably gorgeous (just check out the swords flying about like multicolored missiles during the piano solo), but even more than that it's pretty much THE expression of what it meant to be a geek back in 1983. The Daicon bunnygirl fights Darth Vader; the Macross shows up with Captain Harlock's ship and the Yamato for arms; Superman and Spiderman share a scene; bunnygirl gets attacked by a xenomorph weilding the Discovery from 2001. This isn't even mentioning the long crowd pan towards the end, where I spotted the robot from Metropolis (the Fritz Lang version), Masked Rider, and Ming the Merciless. Someone really put a lot of heart and a lot of crazed, caffeine-powered geeky enthusiasm into this thing.

Read more of the history [url=http://www.cjas.org/~leng/daicon.htm]here[/url], if you're interested. Anyways, if there's justice in the world everyone has probably already seen this by now, but if not then here it is. Enjoy!

[SIZE=1][INDENT][COLOR=DarkRed]Fasteriskhead, I removed two of the links in your post because distributing copyrighted material is not permitted at Otakuboards. Linking to sites that do this is also not permitted. To prevent your future posts from being moderated like this, please be sure to read the rules before continuing to post. -Arvi[/COLOR][/INDENT][/SIZE]