OtakuBoards

otakon 2006: what should i cosplay as??

Guest koh777

Guest koh777
yea Otakon is coming up and i still have no idea what to cosplay as. and suggestions are welcome. just if its a more obscure anime or game please link me so i can research it.

You haven't really given us too much information to go on. I would have to agree with Samurai Mix about going with a character you like. It makes the cosplay experience so much more fun.

We don't know too much about you. Do you like anime characters? Game characters? Visual kei bands? I don't even know if you are a guy or a girl. I could suggest you go as Theif Rikku but if you are a guy who doesn't want to crossplay or a modest girl it wouldn't be a good suggestion. Does that make sense? We could all suggest a bunch of character but you may not know or like them.

There are so many things to consider when deciding on what to cosplay. Here are some questions to ask yourself:

[b]Cosplay or crossplay?[/b] Are you going to cosplay only characters of your gender or are you willing to dress as a character of the other gender? I am a girl and I cosplayed Hanatarou Yamada from Bleach, which is a male character. It was fun and I had no issues crossplaying a male character.

[b]Budget[/b] How much are you willing to spend on your costume?

[b]Homemade, commission or "ghetto" cosplay?[/b] Are you going to make your entire costume from scratch? How well can you sew? Are you going to need help with props, getting fabric and materials?

If commissioning you need to find a person willing to make your costume. Make sure you give them enough time to get the work done. Custom made costumes take time to make. Sometimes they need the order placed many months in advance.

Ghetto-ing your cosplay is another option. That is going to a thrift store or digging through your closet for costume parts. These items can work on their own or modified to look more like a character's outfit. For instance Ed Elric's black pants. Everyone probably has a pair of black pants in their closet or dresser.

[b]Cosplay or comfort[/b] Are you willing to wear incredibly uncomfortable articles of clothing, really heavy combat boots, tons of make up or even a fur suit in a crowded dealer's room? (On a side note I heard Otakon has a weapons rule that any props have to be small enough to fit in a backpack. Don't quote me on that. Best to check their official website for more information.)

I guess that is a good start. Hope you figure out what you want to do for your costume! Best of luck to ya and don't forget the most important thing about cosplaying: [b]Have Fun![/b]

Guest koh777
well general suggestion were what i was looking for. but if you need details. im a larger built guy. i like both shonen and shojo. in addition to game characters. i was thinking about doing auron from ffx but i want to do something a little more unique. its kinda hard to tell you what anime i like because i like them all cept for the one that are specifically made for kids under 10. :animeswea not really into the crossplay. and i can spend like 100 bucks on it. maybe. :animestun im also pretty sure they have the general anime weapon rule. that the size doesnt matter too much excet for anything over like 5ft. and anything edged or point has to have an orange covering. at least those were the rules last year. i did miroku last year. comfort doesnt matter too much. prefer it though. robes are fun to wear.