OtakuBoards

The National Spelling Bee, where nerdiness is rewarded at last (yes!)

PaganAngel

Ah, yes. The Scripps National Spelling Bee. I'm sure that a lot of you have at least seen the commercials for that new movie, Akeelah and the Bee, right? And maybe one or two of you have seen the actual competition on ESPN, or that documentary Spellbound from a few years back. If so, I'm sure your jaws drop at the words those kids are asked to spell.

What if I told you I'm one of those kids? Yep, I'm going to D.C. for the nationals in 28 days, solitarily representing the state of Nevada.

So does anyone on OB have any experience with the bee? Surely I can't be the only one. God, if I could list all the memories this competition has given me over 3 years I could publish a book. But just to name a few, the Las Vegas anchorman mispronouncing 5 words, my school principal pronouncing debris "duh-briss", and nearly getting shot at the Mandalay Bay (don't ask) are certainly highlights. Those were some good times... seriously, the whole thing is more like a soap opera than an extracurricular activity if you only knew.

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]I was in two small spelling bees.
When I was in private school,I was the first chosen to go to an area parochial school spelling bee.
I couldn't have been more than 10 years old. Of course, I did pretty bad. I think I got out on my 5th word.

Then, in middle school I was in the spelling bee our school held. I sat next to my friend Chelsea, and we were wiggling our eyebrows and making faces at eachother the whole time. So, I did bad in that one too. Chelsea did really good. I think she was second runner up. Which suprised everyone because she was a "punk" and "hated school" and she almost refused to do it.

So I'm not as good as you.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]I participated in a few small spelling bees when i was in middle school. I never did that well. I mean, i did well enough to represent my school, just not well enough to place. I misspelled a trick word i remember once, it was one of those words that has a twin word that ends in "or" instead of "er" and of course i guessed the wrong one. : - (

Ok PaganAngel, if you're such a great speller then spell onomatopoeia!! Hahahaha! That's right! You can't!!!

Later.
[/COLOR] [/FONT]

I was in my middle school's spelling bee, back in the day O.o;;. That was back when i actually cared about school, but i didnt fare too well anyway, i was the third person out if i remember correct...But i think its amazing that you're so great at this!
And, hey, why not write a book about it? As of the past two years or so, the Spelling Bee has gotten much more recognition, seen on ESPN (no not "the ocho", if you get my corny joke) and it would probably be a good idea to capatalize on this growing competition.
That aside, i'd like to say, congratulations again ~

[COLOR=#004a6f]I've never participated in a speling bee before, but I've never even heard of one happening where I live. There must have been some I've missed though.

Anyway, I am a terrible speller, absolutely terrible. In grade four, we always had to redo the words we got wrong in our spelling test in separate tests. I remember it took me four tests to finally get "physical education" right.

On O.B, I don't seem much of a bad speller, but I use spell check for words I don't know how to spell.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=The13thMan][FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]
Ok PaganAngel, if you're such a great speller then spell onomatopoeia!! Hahahaha! That's right! You can't!!!
[/COLOR] [/FONT][/QUOTE]

You're right... I'm stumped. :animesigh

But seriously, I've known that word since about sixth grade. My teacher had a poster of it up on our wall. To be honest with you, I haven't really gotten that difficult of words... the ones I've faced get no harder than "stygian," "endostracum," "amalgam," and "couchette" (which, by the way, is NOT pronounced like a miniature sofa). But then again, I've never been to a national level before. That should be nice and challenging. Not to mention rewarding. The winner gets 20,000 bucks. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

My only experience with the spelling be was in fifth grade when I was the representative for my elementary school in the district bee. I proceeded to spell "maccaroni" wrong in the practice round.

Ever since then I've watched the National Spelling Bee on ESPN, and I've really enjoyed it. Where else could I have discovered my favorite word griffonage? They sure do love their French spelling tricks on those things.

It is so impressive that you're going to the national level. Best of luck to you, and maybe I'll see you on TV. ^^b

[QUOTE=PaganAngel]You're right... I'm stumped. :animesigh

But seriously, I've known that word since about sixth grade. My teacher had a poster of it up on our wall. To be honest with you, I haven't really gotten that difficult of words... the ones I've faced get no harder than "stygian," "endostracum," "amalgam," and "couchette" (which, by the way, is NOT pronounced like a miniature sofa). But then again, I've never been to a national level before. That should be nice and challenging. Not to mention rewarding. The winner gets 20,000 bucks. Not bad, if I do say so myself.[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]Hahaha, that's great.

It's hilarious, i had to look that word up before i even typed it. And of course, as i read your post i was looking for spelling errors hoping to oust a world class speller. Ah...but my attempts were in vain. Your spelling was perfect as far as i could tell.

Actually the fact that you're going to the spelling bee is quite impressive. If you tell me what time the thing is on tv i'd really love to watch it. Tell me what number you are so i can see ya spell!

And uhhh....all those words......i don't even know what they mean. And i actually didn't pronounce couchette like a mini sofa.

Gee i hope i spelled everything correctly....

Later.

PS: Sorry about you FFX file, that's a real bummer. I do that kind of crap all the time with my games. Once i erased my FFVIII file, but it was only like 20 hours worth of game. The best thing to do is just let it go and move on. Maybe play a different game. Or you could always play skeet.
[/COLOR] [/FONT]

[QUOTE=The13thMan][FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]Hahaha, that's great.

It's hilarious, i had to look that word up before i even typed it. And of course, as i read your post i was looking for spelling errors hoping to oust a world class speller. Ah...but my attempts were in vain. Your spelling was perfect as far as i could tell.

Actually the fact that you're going to the spelling bee is quite impressive. If you tell me what time the thing is on tv i'd really love to watch it. Tell me what number you are so i can see ya spell!

And uhhh....all those words......i don't even know what they mean. And i actually didn't pronounce couchette like a mini sofa.

Gee i hope i spelled everything correctly....

Later.

PS: Sorry about you FFX file, that's a real bummer. I do that kind of crap all the time with my games. Once i erased my FFVIII file, but it was only like 20 hours worth of game. The best thing to do is just let it go and move on. Maybe play a different game. Or you could always play skeet.
[/COLOR] [/FONT][/QUOTE]

Ehhh... I was really hoping you guys wouldn't watch it... >< this year it's not only going to be on ESPN, it's also going to be on ABC during primetime from 8 to 10 on the first of June... And... I'm number 145... ACK! NO! I DIDN'T SAY THAT! NOOO! DON'T WATCH! *hides*

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]
I was in a spelling bee once, in grade school. I won at least two contests. But that's not the point. The point is that I made a total screwup of myself by mispelling the simplest word in perhaps the entire universe it was [b]Audition[/b]. I know it was that simple. I knew I messed up the entire word when I added a [b]c[/b] between the [b]i[/b] and [b]t[/b] after the [b]d[/b]. I know total ignorance. I obviously wasn't nerdy enough to be rewarded any type of triumph.[/COLOR][/SIZE]