OtakuBoards

Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok

Fyxe

[size=1][color=slategray]I recieved the first dubbed volume of [B]Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok[/B] the other day as a belated birthday gift. I didn't really know what to expect, because I had never heard of it. When I read the box description, I was rather intrigued. I really like the idea of the use of Norse gods and a paranormal detective agency. Because, if you know me, you know my interest in Roman/Norse gods and, well, paranormal/sinister things.

When I watched it, I enjoyed it, yet was bothered by a good number of things, too. From what I've heard from reviews, it's a really slow-paced anime. Now, I didn't exactly get that feel from the first four episodes. Yet, the "formatting" of the series somewhat... I don't know how to explain it... annoyed me. It seemed like everything was just thrown at me, and nothing was quiet explained. I realize that they don't really want to get into Loki's past in a hurry, but I felt the way the first four episodes were presented didn't really make it flow right. The introduction of many of the characters seemed a little sudden, too. Though, I must admit, I was [I]very[/I] excited at the entrance of Heimdall. I can tell he'll be my favorite of the series. Throw in a bit of scandal. Heh.

I love the idea of the whole paranormal thing, but I haven't really seen it show through so far, and that let me down a bit. From the summary and description, I was expecting more of a sinister and creepy edge. But, I never quite got that feeling. I can never seem to find a series that gives me that sinister and gothic feeling, you know? It's hard to find it displayed correctly.

As for the characters, I have no problem with any of them besides Mayura. I really cringe at the way she acts, and it didn't help that the voice actress's portrayal simply rips at my eardrums. I wish that, for once, I could watch something that didn't have your typical, accident-prone, irritating, happy-go-lucky energetic high school girl. I get really sick of it, and Mayura is no exception for me.
Loki, I completely adore him. Cute, intellegent, exhiled god. What not to love? The only thing is, his clothes absolutely reek of Zatch Bell for me. Also, when he summons his cresent staff thing... I am reminded heavily of the Sailor Moon transformation sequences. I was hoping that it wouldn't take place every single episode, but I think I'll have to bear with it, sadly.
Don't even get me started on Heimdall. He is adorable. I love him already. Lol.

As far as the animation, it's breathtaking. It's so crisp and just... lovely. I could hardly restrain myself from eating the collectors box when it was given to me. I've rarely seen an anime that has left that sort of affect on me animation-wise. I can only hope that the quality doesn't lessen as the show continues.
When I first saw the opening and ending credits, I giggled with delight. Literally. The way it is all organized and shown, the music fits almpst perfectly. I wished that the show gave me tha same feel as the credits did. That was nothing short of amazing to me.

Well, that's basically my analysis, first impression-wise. I'm overall very interested, but this show has yet to prove it's anything spectacular. I'm looking forward to getting the second volume, maybe it'll be even more promising. I'll continue to look for the darker tones, and I really want to see more of Loki's past.

So, tell me my dear Otaku friends, have you seen [B]Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok[/B]? What are your impressions? And is it worth it in the long run? I want to know.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I've seen the first two DVD volumes of [B]MDLR[/B], but that was a while ago. Honestly I think that the series is mediocre, so far. I have volumes 3 and 4 that are waiting to be watched, but not until the summer when I have more free time.

In the anime...I can NOT stand [I]Mayura[/I]. She is SO annoying. [I]Loki [/I]is a very intriging character, and as such he is my favorite. Animation and music are average. The story is dragging a bit. I need more...advancement and less repeatition.

HOWEVER, despite my views on the anime, I HIGHLY recommend reading the manga series. The story, artwork, development are far superior in the manga than the anime. And I honestly love reading the manga of [B]MDLR[/B]! Unfortunately [B]ADV[/B] is in charge of the release so there are only two volumes currently available. Still, I highly recommend reading them. Yes, I despise [B]ADV[/B].
[B]
MDLR[/B]
[I]Anime[/I] = 1 out of 5
[I]Manga[/I] = 3.5 out of 5[/COLOR]