OtakuBoards

Go

The13thMan

[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]I started playing go today on Yahoo games. I was wondering if anybody wanted to kinda be my playing buddy. I'm looking for somebody that only knows the basic basics of the game like i do. We can play on yahoo, if you want to play with me then get a hold of me either on yahoo or aim. My username is attimus331 on both.

So this thread won't get locked, let's talk about go!!

For me, i was introduced to go maybe a year ago. Actually i sorta knew about it before then too, when i saw Hero. Remember the scene where the guy was playing go and it was raining? That was cool. Anyways, my friends are really into the game and they taught me some stuff, i was surprised how complex the game could go for such a simple concept. Then i heard about all of the different rankings and whatnot. It's all pretty crazy to me. I just played some go maybe 5 minutes ago...it was ugly to say the least. ^L^;

Later.
[/COLOR] [/FONT]

[QUOTE=The13thMan][FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]I'm looking for somebody that only knows the basic basics of the game like i do.
//snip//
I just played some go maybe 5 minutes ago...it was ugly to say the least.[/COLOR] [/FONT][/QUOTE]Playing Go against somebody who doesn't know doesn't help your game much if you don't know anything. Not only that, it is a terribly boring game. The best course of action for playing this game if you're totally new would be to get someone more experieced to teach you at first.

After you become a little more competent, you can start playing others, but preferably at a slightly different level. If you or they need a handicap, don't be ashamed to use them. They're there [i]because[/i] you're different levels.

If you're playing somebody better, you should be able to learn something from your opponent by imitating their moves, asking why they place stones in certain places, and learning from their experience.

If you're playing against somebody weaker, you'll be able to become more familiar with the rules you already learned, and it's just fun practice.

I play go, but I haven't touched a stone for a few months now. Just too darn busy.

-r2