OtakuBoards

*RESEARCH* Would you pay for manga?

Guest kuroari

Guest kuroari
How many of you would pay for a weekly newsletter/e-zine which featured 5-10 *HIGH QUALITY* manga series written by upcoming artists & writers?

Hypothetically speaking, the e-zine would cost between £0.90 (roughly $1.65) and £1.25 (about US$2.35) depending on how long you subscribed for.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

O.o Sorry, bluemarble, want me to change it??

^_^ ok, so I really like these sorts of manga: action, horror, comedy/horror, and anything else cool like that. my favorite manga are InuYasha, Hellsing, Ranma, Cowboy Bebop, and...ummm....just about anything else like that. hehe.

[QUOTE=YoukaiAlchemist]O.o Sorry, bluemarble, want me to change it??

^_^ ok, so I really like these sorts of manga: action, horror, comedy/horror, and anything else cool like that. my favorite manga are InuYasha, Hellsing, Ranma, Cowboy Bebop, and...ummm....just about anything else like that. hehe.[/QUOTE]

Psh no! I'll change mine, I've been too lazy to make my own so this will give me a reason too.

so kuroari must be british?

But anyway, i would only buy a manga if i
a) respected the artist work so much that i felt that i should buy her work
b) because the plot was so interesting and i love it to bits.

I have only ever bought viz, or yaoi mangas, but i have read a hell of a lot over the internet. I don't think it's worth paying like £6.50 per book, for a manga that is like gravatition or sukisho. I would rather pay out for a mangas that i have heard of or at least know who the artist is.

For example, i recently bought 2 yaoi mangas from amazon, that were done by [B]Hinata takanaga[/B] which is one of my favourite artist. One of the mangas i bought, was one that i had started to read online (before it was taken off :animecry: ). And the other was one that i had never heard of, but because i knew the style of hinata work, i knew what kind of things would be in it, comedt, angst etc etc.

As for fan mangas, no, i don't think i would ever buy a fan manga unless it was drawn really well and had a good plot to go along with it. Although i have read fan mangas that do have a good plot and style i wouldn't go as far as to go toan anime convention and buy the manga for the sake of buying it.

And i also feel the same about my own work, if i was to create a a badly drawn manga then i would not charge a very high price for it even if i did seel it, but saying that i properly wouldn't. I don't like it when some thing or someone is not treated equally, such as in the distrubation of anime in the u.k, i don't feel that there should be that amount unfair when it comes to selling anime. Like german getting more mangas then sweden (as an example).

So if i ever made a manga i would post it on the internet first. then if it done well, i may consider selling at an anime convention or something.

[QUOTE=kuroari]How many of you would pay for a weekly newsletter/e-zine which featured 5-10 *HIGH QUALITY* manga series written by upcoming artists & writers?

Hypothetically speaking, the e-zine would cost between £0.90 (roughly $1.65) and £1.25 (about US$2.35) depending on how long you subscribed for.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I probably would. Saying that I am trying to draw at this point and not getting anywhere.

I mean, there isn't anything that I know how to do to get better besides -this one deadly word- practice.

On topic, there are some things that I would pay for.
It all depends on what I find interesting in the thing that I'm buying.
If I get some insite on Mangas, I don't know why people wouldn't want to do that.
If it is only a couple of dollars, sure!

Well, it's certainly a prettier price point than Newtype, to be sure. I'd give it a try just because I'm sick of wandering into the manga section and having not a clue what series I want to start. It'd be a great (and relatively cheap) way to get a sneak peek at my next purchase.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I agree with uchihagirl, I would need a preveiw of the manga first and probably a summary of each selection, also if something like that did come out, I would wonder... if I could split the manga's between me and friend so that we can pay half and half just to make it cheaper. [/COLOR]

[color=#b0000b][size=1]The idea of paying for anything online kind of bothers me, so I doubt I would pay for that. I would be willing to pay up to two dollars/issue of a hard copy, more if I were familiar with the artists' styles and enjoyed the stories.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=kuroari]How many of you would pay for a weekly newsletter/e-zine which featured 5-10 *HIGH QUALITY* manga series written by upcoming artists & writers?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

If it's something legit. If you've spent a day or two on the Internet you know when something's a scheme or a raw deal.

Of course, it'd also depend if any of the stories interested me.

Guest aoi_ame_tenshi
Sure I would, but I'd probably want the first issue for free so that I'd be able to preview the series that would be in the magazine. I also think that I would probably want a variety of genres, a action series, a romance, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='aoi_ame_tenshi']Sure I would, but I'd probably want the first issue for free so that I'd be able to preview the series that would be in the magazine. I also think that I would probably want a variety of genres, a action series, a romance, etc.[/quote]

I agree. Variety is the best thing for a manga magazine, even though I have never read one. <_<