OtakuBoards

Earthian

Aaryanna

[COLOR=SeaGreen]A short while ago I started reading the manga Earthian and not only have I really enjoyed it, but it has become one of my favorite series. Basically (as it states on the back of the manga) the story is that angels are among us. They are scattered across the globe, living in our neighborhoods, observing humanity ? the Earthian ? in crisis?

Chihaya and Kagetsuya have known each other since their days at school. They are friends?and possibly more. These two angels roam the world compiling lists of the positive and negative traits of humanity. They are known as plus and minus checkers. If 10,000 pluses are found humanity will be allowed to live, but if 10,000 minus checks are found the Earthian will be destroyed.

The story focuses on both Chihaya a plus checker and Kagetsuya a minus checker. It?s really interesting as though it focuses on what they encounter during their search for plus and minuses it?s interesting how they story subtly develops the growing affection between the two of them. It?s also interesting as the artwork is very pretty and it has a nice flow to it when you read it.

So who else has read this manga and what did you think of it? [/COLOR]

[font="Gill Sans MT Condensed"][color="#993366"][size="2"]I haven't read it yet, but it's definitely on my to-do list since it's by the author of Loveless, right? Loveless had me hooked with its unique style and excellent story, so I'm expecting that same quality in this series... am I right in doing so? [/size][/color][/font]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][quote name='PaganAngel][font="Gill Sans MT Condensed"][color="#993366"][size="2"]I haven't read it yet, but it's definitely on my to-do list since it's by the author of Loveless, right? Loveless had me hooked with its unique style and excellent story, so I'm expecting that same quality in this series... am I right in doing so? [/size][/color'][/font][/quote]Yeah, it?s the same author. ^_^ I?ve only read the first volume to the Loveless manga so I can?t give a complete comparison, but from what I read I would have to say that both of them have a unique style and an excellent story. What I?ve loved best is how the story is rich and diverse and though part of the focus is that it?s a boys love story, its presented in a way that makes it more of just a fact instead of the main focus. Though at one point it does become the main focus.

I?m not sure if I?m explaining this correctly, but it stands more on several different and diverse story plots instead of using fan service to get your attention. Not to be mean, but some boys love mangas are more of a Harlequin romance novel (yuck) in that they focus too much on the love interest and neglect developing the overall storyline and Earthian doesn?t do that. [/COLOR]

Earthian is good stuff. I didn't like the primary love story very much, but there's so much going on in the series that this actually didn't have a large effect on my overall enjoyment of it. I'm looking forward to reading the last volume, which--if I remember correctly--is supposed to consist of side stories about Raphael and Michael (who I found to be more interesting than the main characters), among others. I've soured on manga about angels, but Earthian puts an interesting spin on that concept.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=SeaGreen][QUOTE=Dagger]Earthian is good stuff. I didn't like the primary love story very much, but there's so much going on in the series that this actually didn't have a large effect on my overall enjoyment of it. I'm looking forward to reading the last volume, which--if I remember correctly--is supposed to consist of side stories about Raphael and Michael (who I found to be more interesting than the main characters), among others. I've soured on manga about angels, but Earthian puts an interesting spin on that concept.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]Agreed, there?s so much going on that the love story almost could have been left out. Which is what I like about it. It doesn?t rely on it to tell the story. ^_^ I?m really looking forward to the last volume too since it seemed like there wasn?t enough about Rapheal and Michael in the other volumes.

I really liked the different spin they put on homosexual love too. I found it interesting how it said [spoiler]if we only react to members of the same sex, the population will continue to fall?That?s why there?s a law against love between members of the same sex. If there is any sign of physical connection, it is considered the greatest crime in Eden, punishable by death.[/spoiler] It?s a reason that actually makes sense. [/COLOR]