Nekova Posted August 14, 2006 Posted August 14, 2006 I was watching the first Rurouni Kenshin OVA (again), and noticed at the end that Katsura says "suma", and later what sounds like "sumarai" and it's translated as "I'm sorry." Is this another word for it? I've never heard anything other than 'gomen' and 'gomen nasai' used before. If anyone who knows more Japanese than I do (which isn't hard) can clarify that, I'd be grateful :)
Chikara Kokoro Posted August 14, 2006 Posted August 14, 2006 I think the word that Katsura was saying was 'sumimasen.' It has several different meanings ("Sorry", "Thank You" and "Excuse Me"), but this article ([URL=http://www.alientimes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ABitOfJapaneseSumimasen]click![/URL]) can probably explain how the word is used better than I can.
r2vq Posted August 15, 2006 Posted August 15, 2006 [quote name='Nekova']and later what sounds like "sumarai" and it's translated as "I'm sorry."[/quote][color=#007520]To possibly bridge Chikara Kokoro's answer about sumimasen and what you heard, "sumimasen" is in a formal tense. The plain form of this would be "sumanai" which may have been what you heard. -r2[/color]
Nekova Posted August 16, 2006 Author Posted August 16, 2006 perfect- thanks, both of you. When I recognize a word but can't figure out exactly what it means, it drives me craze :)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now