Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
I was watching the first Rurouni Kenshin OVA (again), and noticed at the end that Katsura says "suma", and later what sounds like "sumarai" and it's translated as "I'm sorry." Is this another word for it? I've never heard anything other than 'gomen' and 'gomen nasai' used before.

If anyone who knows more Japanese than I do (which isn't hard) can clarify that, I'd be grateful :)
Posted
I think the word that Katsura was saying was 'sumimasen.' It has several different meanings ("Sorry", "Thank You" and "Excuse Me"), but this article ([URL=http://www.alientimes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ABitOfJapaneseSumimasen]click![/URL]) can probably explain how the word is used better than I can.
Posted
[quote name='Nekova']and later what sounds like "sumarai" and it's translated as "I'm sorry."[/quote][color=#007520]To possibly bridge Chikara Kokoro's answer about sumimasen and what you heard, "sumimasen" is in a formal tense. The plain form of this would be "sumanai" which may have been what you heard.

-r2[/color]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...