OtakuBoards

Hardwired Technical Help

Desbreko

[color=#4B0082]Could you download the programs with another computer and put them on a flash drive or burn them to a CD or something to get them onto your laptop? Usually you can also download the latest definition files separately, along with the installers, so you won't have to download them after it's installed.

If you can't do anything like that, it may be time to either reformat and reinstall Windows or else take it in and have the store look at it. There's not much you can do without being able to get anti-virus and spyware removal software onto it.[/color]

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Dell GX280 desktop who's hard drive failed. We put in a new hard drive and now we can't reinstall Windows XP Home. According to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, we need to call Dell and purchase all the Recovery disk needed for the computer. Is there another alternative besides going to Dell?

[color=#4B0082]What is it that's stopping you from reinstalling? If it wants a serial number, I'd check any papers that came with the laptop and see if it was included. Usually laptops will come with something that will let you reinstall Windows without having to buy an extra recovery disc.[/color]

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Cat' date='08 June 2010 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1276036106' post='694899']
I have a Dell GX280 desktop who's hard drive failed. We put in a new hard drive and now we can't reinstall Windows XP Home. According to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, we need to call Dell and purchase all the Recovery disk needed for the computer. Is there another alternative besides going to Dell?
[/quote]

I don't know if you got this fixed already but the so called Geek Squad is dead wrong.

Windows OS cds come with the ability to reformat and install their software without the need of a Recovery Disk. A recovery Disk is provided IN the Windows Disk as you are able to create one (Back up) once you sign in the OS after installation.

If you have a legit OS disk all you need to do is insert it and then start your pc. Or in the most cases insert disk, restart, then when at the bios screen hit F12 and choose the CD\DvD drive to run it. From there you just follow the prompt to install the OS.

I am ashamed to hear the Geek Squad for even saying that....

Did they even go to school before getting hired?

[quote name='Desbreko' date='25 November 2009 - 07:37 AM' timestamp='1259149032' post='686905']
[color=#4B0082]Ah, okay. It probably is the router, then. The netbook is apparently just better at picking the connection back up.

And you can't swap wireless cards that are built in, so forget that. If it were the kind that plugged into a slot in the laptop, then it would be simple.

Anyway, first I'd make sure there's nothing around the router that could be causing interference. Then I'd take a look at the router's wireless settings and try tweaking stuff to see if anything has an effect. (If you don't know what the settings mean, now's a good time to learn. Wikipedia knows all.) Like, if you're using encryption, try disabling it and seeing if that makes a difference, or try changing the basic rate, etc. But it may just be that your router's wireless is crapping out.[/color]
[/quote]
A good suggestion.

Also what could be the problem is that the Router might be out of date. The Firmware might need to be updated. I had the same problem with my own router where my laptop would lose connection randomly as well as the other computers connected wirelessly. Edited by Burori

• 1 month later...
[color=indigo]I have a question for anyone who knows a little PHP. I built a contact form (or rather I stole the code from this [url="http://www.digital-web.com/articles/bulletproof_contact_form_with_php/"]Bulletproof Form [/url] article) and I keep getting the following error when I try to send myself a message: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /home/content/c/h/a/charlieschafer/html/process-form.php on line 6

Here is my code:

[code]<?php
// Process only from my form (change if html has different name)
if (stristr($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'], 'form.html') === FALSE) die('No direct script access permitted');

// Data cleaning function function clean_data($string) { if (get_magic_quotes_gpc()) { $string = stripslashes($string); } $string = strip_tags($string); return mysql_real_escape_string($string);
}

// Mail header removal
function remove_headers($string) { $headers = array( "/to\:/i", "/from\:/i", "/bcc\:/i", "/cc\:/i", "/Content\-Transfer\-Encoding\:/i", "/Content\-Type\:/i", "/Mime\-Version\:/i" ); $string = preg_replace($headers, '', $string); return strip_tags($string);
}

// Pick up the cleaned form data
$name = remove_headers($_POST['name']);
$email = remove_headers($_POST['email']);
$topic = remove_headers($_POST['topic']);
$comments = remove_headers($_POST['comments']);

// Build the email (replace the address in the $to section with your own)
$to = '[email protected]';
$subject = "New message: $topic";
$message = "$name said: $comments";
$headers = "From: $email";

// Send the mail using PHPs mail() function
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

// Redirect
header("Location: success.html");

?>
[/code]

You can mess around with the contact link [url="http://c-schafer.com/contact.html"]here.[/url]

Thanks

[/color]