OtakuBoards

Miss Universe!

Persona

[COLOR=Green]Of course Monday night at 8 a.m., the competition for Miss Universe began. I actaully decided to watch it, due to the fact my country is in there (Despite the fact that they didin't make it for the first cut....but we've won sereval times yay!) and the previous Miss Unververse was Miss Peurto Rico. Overall, my point is that Japan won! I'm a fan of Japan and it's cool that other than a hispanic...someone else from another country won. Well did anyone else watch it and what did you think of it? This isn't a much major topic...but thought it would be cool to put that out (Cheers for Japan).[/COLOR]

[FONT=Tahoma]I didn't actually watch it, nor do I usually watch those types of contests unless my friend is over since she likes watching those things. I did see a picture of Miss Japan though and she's quite the pretty one, so good for her. I've always been a fan of attractive japanese girls :). One thing I figured from the very beggining though was sure as hell the U.S wasn't winning this one. We never have the hottest one in the competition.[/FONT]

[color=dimgray] [strike]Doesn't it suck for South Africa that their contestant was white?[/strike]

I think the Koreans were all excited that they would probably win, but now that Japan has I bet they have their undies in a bunch. From the picture I saw of Miss Korea, she looked Japanese anyway. :whoops: [/color]

[quote name='Lunox][color=dimgray] [strike]Doesn't it suck for South Africa that their contestant was white?[/strike'][/color][/quote]
[size=1]Actually, I was kind of pissed about that after seeing it on the wiki.

Anyway, Riyo Mori doesn't look [i]that[/i] hot. I know it's a mix of looks and personality, but eh. She's pretty, but nothing stellar. I think she's too thin.[/size]

[img]http://www.japanprobe.com/2007/01/miss-universe-japan2007.jpg[/img]

Guest Ver3.0
Well I'd probably shoot myself beofre I watched that show buuut I really don't think the 1 that won was that pretty=\

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]
Anyway, Riyo Mori doesn't look [i]that[/i] hot. I know it's a mix of looks and personality, but eh. She's pretty, but nothing stellar. I think she's too thin.[/size]

[img]http://www.japanprobe.com/2007/01/miss-universe-japan2007.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] Maybe because her eye makeup is eating her eyelids. :|[/color]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I didn't bother watching that show... I was too busy watching Ex-Wives club. Personally I find a classic car being tossed from a plane more interesting than watching a bunch of women in bikinis... unless one of them was being tossed from a plane and managed to explode on impact.[/color][/font]

[COLOR=Gray]Am I the only one who doesn't find the "Miss X" chicks hot? Seriously, Miss Japan looks horrible. Miss Italy was probably the worst, though; have a freakin' steak, for christ's sake! All this super-skinny chicks with makeup and lipgloss are revolting. And their faux-personalities are even more hilarious.

Seriously, I can't be the only one who thinks this... they look like barbie dolls.[/COLOR]

I didn't watch the show but I have seen the clip of the U.S. representative fall on her bum. I probably lost some karma points but I laughed when I saw it. There is just something funny about beauty queens and supermodels falling down.

Perhaps if their ankles weren't as thin as toothpicks they would be a bit more stable.

[quote name='Johnny Justjohnny][COLOR=Gray']Seriously, I can't be the only one who thinks this... they look like barbie dolls.[/COLOR][/quote]
[size=1]No, I totally agree. I guess that's the latest in Eurocentric standards of beauty for you. I'm sick of straight blond hair, 100 lbs full grown women, and seeing a girl's ribs. What happened to having hips?[/size]

[color=dimgray] Sorry to bag, but I don't understand why people think commercialized women have no figure. Yes, they're skinny, but they have hips. And boobs. And butts. And they probably work out. Angelina Jolie is the skinniest women ever, and has plenty of curves.

*shrug*[/color]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray] Sorry to bag, but I don't understand why people think commercialized women have no figure. Yes, they're skinny, but they have hips. And boobs. And butts. And they probably work out. Angelina Jolie is the skinniest women ever, and has plenty of curves.

*shrug*[/color][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Gray]
Excuse me if I like my women to have some meat on their bones. Shape, figure, etc, doesn't matter if she's an adult woman weighing less then I eat for dinner. The whole "skinny is beautiful" thing has always been lost on me.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray] Sorry to bag, but I don't understand why people think commercialized women have no figure. Yes, they're skinny, but they have hips. And boobs. And butts. And they probably work out. Angelina Jolie is the skinniest women ever, and has plenty of curves.

*shrug*[/color][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Have you seen fashion models lately? Organizations are debating whether or not to institute a minimum BMI for their models. I think that speaks volumes.[/size]

[QUOTE=Panda]
Perhaps if their ankles weren't as thin as toothpicks they would be a bit more stable.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Lunox]
Sorry to bag, but I don't understand why people think commercialized women have no figure. Yes, they're skinny, but they have hips. And boobs. And butts. And they probably work out. Angelina Jolie is the skinniest women ever, and has plenty of curves.

*shrug*[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree with Lunox. I think the commercialized women are beautiful. And, I'd also like to see more women in different sizes on ads.

There are beautiful skinny women, beautiful medium-sized women, and beautiful overweight women. A lot of skinny women are beautiful, and I don't think it's right to diss on them just because you don't think it's beautiful to be skinny. Yeah, there are models out there that are sick. But, a lot of these women work out like hell to make themselves more appealing for commerical jobs. And, some of them are just naturally skinny. It's not fair to ***** about these women, aim that bitching towards the commerical industry.

*shrug*[/color][/QUOTE][quote name='Retribution][size=1']Have you seen fashion models lately? Organizations are debating whether or not to institute a minimum BMI for their models. I think that speaks volumes.[/size][/quote][color=#9933ff]You know, I think on both sides of the argument, we're generalizing.

There ARE a [u]lot[/u] of fashion models and beauty figures out there who are actually starving themselves to keep up with the demands of the industry. It IS a problem, and also a social commentary on the (stupid) amount of attention and praise we give to rail thin girls.

But you know what? I agree with Lunox, too. There are also skinny fashion models and beauty figures who aren't starving themselves, and who do have boobs and butts.

I think the Miss Japan winner, Riyo Mori, looks absolutely fine, in regards to her weight (the purple eyeshadow is a different story altogether). Because guess what? By looking at numerous pictures of her, I'd have to say my wrists are about as skinny, if not a little bit more so, than hers. My neck, about the same or a tiny bit less. I haven't gotten any good pictures of her waist, but mine is 24.5 in. at its skinniest point, if that helps put anything in perspective. And guess what? I gobble down food like no tomorrow.

There are *actually* *gasp* PEOPLE with ridiculous metabolisms. They do exist. Skinny, thin, and petite people exist, and even more so in Asian countries. I went to a shopping mall in Thailand where everything I bought in that mall was a size medium because the small did not physically stretch over my body, whereas ANYTHING I buy in the US is small (or un-buyable, because it doesn't come any smaller).

I'm not saying that anorexia, bulimia, self-image problems, and unnatural thinness aren't problems in the media, because s--t, they're HUGE problems, damn it! And if a BMI cut-off is going to help curb some of this unnatural, unhealthy thinness, then I'm all for it.

But please, everyone realize, especially those of you picking on Miss Japan for being too thin in an unhealthy way, that the girl may actually look that way, naturally. It's a possibility, lol.

P.S.: If you want to see what girls without breasts and butts look like, look no further than Olympic gymnasts. The trauma these girls go through, physically, emotionally, and mentally, is sickening. We hound the media a lot for producing skinny women, but we praise these girls for putting their bodies, their womanhood (some don't actually menstruate until they quit the sport and gain weight), and their lives on the line to win us trinkets in a sport every four years.[/color]

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']Have you seen fashion models lately? Organizations are debating whether or not to institute a minimum BMI for their models. I think that speaks volumes.[/size][/quote]

[color=dimgray] I'm going to go with MixtressRoxie here. I'm not saying all models and celebrities are naturally voluptuous, but it's not fair to say that all models are bean poles with no shape at all. I mean- Victoria's Secret models anyone?

It's too easy to rag on skinny women, when it's the same as dissing obese people. We'll blame and insult skinny models for being images of bulimia and anorexia, but it's "not nice" to place faults in self-control on overweight people.
[/color]

[QUOTE=MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff]

I think the Miss Japan winner, Riyo Mori, looks absolutely fine, in regards to her weight (the purple eyeshadow is a different story altogether).[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] True, mostly because she's Asian. Asian girls, if no one has noticed, tend to be smaller and more slender than other girls. It's just the way they're built. You can't expect Asian girls to gain weight and see results in their chest and bottom, the fat just settles in problem spots like hips and thighs. And not in a good way, because the bone structure just won't support it.
[/color]

MistressRoxie, I agree 100% in that one. Overall, Miss Japan not only won for beauty, it was her personality that showed the most. I really won't repeat what MistressRoxieor rLunox on the points. Besides that, Miss USA really busted her butt during the gown round...but she still got up and smiled...they booed her for a while though...that's one tough crowd.

(To get onto subject, haha)

I haven't really watched any competitions like this at all. I don't really have any idea why, I just don't really like/understand how they get their points from. A majority of the women on there look very very nice, but it doesn't make much sense as to why some of them loose or whatever. I can understand some "Butters", but after you get past them, how can you tell who should go on or not? (I would seriously like someone to clear that up for me)

I think it goes by Looks (First round...where they all introduce themselves by country), body (Bikini round), fashion (Gown round) and personality (Question round)...But overall, each one involves personality...you can't just go and wear the dress...you need to show it off and be radient.. like they would say, 'Don't let the dress wear you, you wear the dress'...something like that.

[quote name='SOBE']I think it goes by Looks (First round...where they all introduce themselves by country), body (Bikini round), fashion (Gown round) and personality (Question round)...[/quote]

Hmm, that would make more sense than just going out there and looking nice and then winning. I suppose that people get knocked off every round? Or something to that effect? Or does someone just win overall in the end?

Yeah, so I'm pretty much ignorant about this event (haha). I might start watching it, but what makes it so glorious? I mean, I always watch something that is amusing (not always good), but what makes this amusing? Is it a personal taste (In which I assume)?

The King

I think that there are three eliminations (The last being the final result). First they narrow it down to 10 finalist...then 5...then they choose the runner up and Miss Universe. Overall, I'm not really into all of it really...I'm just into the Universe ones...I suppose it's one: The countries style (When they introduce themeselves..it's cool to see what they wear to represent their country and how they do it), second would be: To see how my country fairs in all this three: See if any bloopers happen...since it's live...for instance Miss USA....seriously busted her behind. My reasons are very simple..nothing so serious.

[quote name='Lunox][color=dimgray'] I'm going to go with MixtressRoxie here. I'm not saying all models and celebrities are naturally voluptuous, but it's not fair to say that all models are bean poles with no shape at all. I mean- Victoria's Secret models anyone?[/color][/quote]
[size=1]But I think it's more fair to say that the industry standard is tending towards dangerously petite. Like I said, runways are starting to set minimum BMIs for all models -- I think that speaks for a distressing trend in the modern modeling industry.

[QUOTE][color=dimgray]It's too easy to rag on skinny women, when it's the same as dissing obese people. We'll blame and insult skinny models for being images of bulimia and anorexia, but it's "not nice" to place faults in self-control on overweight people.[/color][/QUOTE]
I agree, and perhaps I overstated my position earlier, but I think the fact that the general trend is towards thinness is uh... less than ideal, shall I say? And let's not even mention the eating disorders than can and probably do stem from this idealization of the body.

I'm just saying that she won because she fell nicely into the current western perception of beauty, I understand that her race does influence her body type heavily... although perhaps it could be more accurately attributed to culture and the dietary habits that come with it.[/size]

[color=dimgray] Yes, the whole minimum BMI thing is tale-telling. I saw something of it on television, where they told a Spanish model that the minimum BMI was 18.5 and she commented that she would have to gain ten pounds.

The whole western beauty thing is completely taking over places like Korea and Japan. Girls as young as 14 are getting plastic surgery, and it's like, "Hello, your face probably hasn't stopped developing".[/color]

[quote name='Lunox][color=dimgray']The whole western beauty thing is completely taking over places like Korea and Japan. Girls as young as 14 are getting plastic surgery, and it's like, "Hello, your face probably hasn't stopped developing".[/color][/quote][color=#9933ff]Wow. I think it's really sad when such young girls are saying things like that. My mom just saw something the other day that said eyelid crease (to create one in your eye) was the most popular surgery in Asia, I think so that their eyes looked less Asian (? not sure). The other big "beauty" trend in Asia is skin whiteners, to make their skin white like Europeans and Americans. That's also why I was please that Miss Japan won, when her skin is so dark (although it may be because of tanning - the other extreme end of the skin tone issue. ><; ).[/color]

[color=dimgray] The eyelid crease is supposed to make them look more European, since a lot of Asians don't have it and all Europeans have it in large degrees. It's huge to Asians, because without the crease the eyes appear smaller, etc. etc. They make stuff like double-stick tape so people without can tape their eyelids open, and probably more things to that level.

The level of famous Asian pop celebrities that have gotten facial reconstruction is through the roof, lol. With some people it's just incredibly obvious, like Koda Kumi and BoA and such.[/color]