OtakuBoards

It is forbidden to fall in love

han ki-tae

I am about to start working on this new project again.

I would like to find out what people think of the new character design.

In order to do that, I included also as an attachment a pic I drew in 2000. hehe. Of course style should have improved - cannot believe it has been 7 years already!!!. But I want to make sure the personalities are well expressed.

Please let know what you think the role for the two girls is in what pertains to the boy in the middle, their personalities, and what color scheme you would prefer.

After I obtain some feedback from you guys (hoping you will provide me any hehehe) I will post the colored pic with a brief description on the storyline.

Thank you in advance.

[color=dimgray]Technically everything is wonderful! ^^ For your newer picture, anyway. Great improvement over the last seven years.

It's a bit odd because your older picture shows two distinct personalities, but in your newer picture both girls seem chipper and outgoing. The girl with the long hair more so, but there's not a clear distinction in the newer drawing. Although the girl with the short hair definitely seems more reserved and etc. But anyways, both girls seem to like the boy romantically, like they might be fighting over him. Hope that helps. :)

I'm guessing you planned both girls to have darkish hair from your older drawing, but I'd hair go pastel colors with the short-haired girl and darker colors with the long-haired girl.

Also, knowing your technical skill, which is very good, I think you should try and give the two girls more unique faces. Both have the exact same face shape, eyes, etc., and it would be much better if you gave them differences. [/color]

Hello Everybody

Seriously, Lunox, your email really opened my eyes. I did not notice that the personality was actually showing the inverse it was supposed to. Hehe

owever I have corrected the facial expressions to reflect their presonalities.

The shorter girl is a singer, the fact she is closer to hin due to their relationship that is more intimate. The other one is more of a friend. No fighting over, but I guess is not enought to determine every trace of a story line. Once again, she is a singer and she is actually more dependant, introactive. Think twice before says anything. Looking for "nice" guys.

The one with shorter hair is wuite the opposite, but the one he initially has a crush on. She likes the opposite type of guys as well...

The story itself is action based.The storyline can be confusing but i cannot wait to put it on paper and see what you guys think.

Let me know what you think of the new pics (they are all the same, but as you all know i like to play with the colors and backgrounds.

[color=dimgray] I was hoping for more dynamic color palettes for the characters, mostly the hair color. It just seem drab that they all have variations of brown hair. I guess the fact that the girl with the longer hair is a singer makes me expect very light/bright colors that stand out.

Of course your inking is great! :) Hope to see more revisions soon. [/color]

• 2 weeks later...
I have to enter here...

I think your style is wonderfull. It has a fullness about it, it cannot be explained. But as a harsh critic I must intervene and please do not take my opinion harshly.

Your lines are very well planned even if you do not think so. If someone says otherwise, pay it no heed. Great art does not come from great people. Great art comes from within the mind and the style of the artist. Not because of fame or anything else. These lines are perfect to what you are trying to portray.

What strikes me are the colors as Lunox says...but let me go into more. These colors are very nice, do not misunderstand but they are flat. I mean that they show no life in them. They are merely colors, beautiful colors, but colors. When you draw, you show life in every stroke of a pencil, pen, or brush. When you add color you show life in every pigment. When you make colors look flat it seems like you were in a rush or not paying much attention to detail. My suggestion is add some shade to make them seem real, that they live and breathe even though they do not exist.

Other than that, I love them. Keep up the good work. I hope to see more of your unique style soon.

MH

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ever_Change
I must say I love your style. Its very original and it just exudes so much emotion. I think the characters each have their own vibe.

In one of the first pictures you posted I noticed that the characters were a little more spread apart. And because of this it was hard to find the point of focus in the picture. Their personalities seemed to be really outspoken, like you were really trying to make them stand out. But the man in the middle seemed to lose his air of coolness and the relaxed feel he had in the first picture. To me, and please pardon me if this seems offensive at all, they seemed a little over the top, if that makes any sense.

But as for the newer ones you posted, W-O-W! I can really feel the same personalities shining through without the pictures being too crazy. With the characters all in the middle but with the varrying heights and the way they, well I want to say moved but I mean the way they were presented I guess, really made it easy to look around and get a feel for the piece.

Overall great job! You are really a wonderful artist, I hope that I can see more of your work in the future. :animesmil

Thank you for replying and your feedback is the most appreciated... ops I'm not at work hehehhee.

Anyways, thank you. I've been trying to use flash and struggling I've made 2 or 3 pics on it... actually I cheated, I traced over scan of my scketches.

You know something? I never had such a hard time with bodies before like I'm having now.... is anybody willing to share their expertise with me? The same goes for clothing... the difference is that I was never good at it hehehe

I need to get back to the sketchbook and work on I'ts forbidden again

See ya later

I agree with Ever_Change, your work has really improved. The previous picture seems very spread out, a bit random, and the characters don't really seem to connect with each other. Yet on your most recent one, all the characters seem to be more together. They also seem to have more presonality. I totally admire your style, especially the loose pen stroke flow of it.

Good luck on your projects! I'm sure you'll do great.

[quote name='han ki-tae']
You know something? I never had such a hard time with bodies before like I'm having now.... is anybody willing to share their expertise with me? The same goes for clothing... the difference is that I was never good at it hehehe
[/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Nothing beats using models or reference pictures when it comes to anatomy or clothes. It's just something that comes with practice through observing other people or studying anatomy. Keeping a small sketchbook helps immensely, because you end up drawing the same thing over and over again until you get better at it.[/font]

Guest Ever_Change
:animesmil I find that I if I'm having trouble with a picture I'll just say *whatever* and throw down my pens and take a break. Think for a while about what you really want the characters to be like. Get it all in your mind and then go try again once you're less frustrated! ^_~