OtakuBoards

Sharing scans with Otakus...

KenshinSorrow

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=2][FONT=Trebuchet MS]So, here's a question for Otaku moderators that I posed in another thread/forum.

Is it possible to come up with a thread or something similiar, on Otaku, where fans can share scans they've made of their favorite animes, etc., with other Otaku fans?

Having bought many an import book to look for scans, I think this would be an inexpensive way to help others out...that is, if there aren't any legal hassles that would trip you up. (Believe me, I work at an OfficeMax, where I continuously have to deny photocopying because of copyright issues, so I can understand if you don't want to cross that line.)

Of course, if it's the fans posting to a thread and Otaku.com not posting it to a official hub, I imagine that Otaku.com would have a little less to worry about, legally. I know at our store, if the customer photocopies copyrighted material on self-serve, we consider the legal pros & cons out of our hands, and companies seem a lot more likely to sue the big groups than the individual.

So anyhow, just a thought....[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#606060]I think the issue here is a commercial one. If you use these scanned images in a commercial venture (and if you claim the source images as your own), the ground becomes legally shaky.

But for the purposes of people making banners and wallpapers? I don't see an issue.

So as I mentioned in your Otaku Lounge thread, feel free to create a thread for scans in the Art Studio forum.[/color]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=2][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Thanks again, James! I get off a 5pm (or at least I'm supposed to, lol) and will try and put something together to post in the Art Forum.

Yeah, I see your point about the commerical aspect. Very true. I've never once tried to get paid for my wallpapers--I actually started doing them as a way to imporove my graphic art skils in Photoshop, etc., so the learning for me has always been the real pay off.

See you all around tomorrow![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]