OtakuBoards

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

Korey

I've been playing this game non-stop since I picked it up about a month ago and I've entered a few local events that I've placed well at or one altogether. If you guys have played or at least seen this game, tell me a few things.

1. Did you like it? Why or Why not?
2. Favorite Character?
3. How does it stack up to other Capcom fighters in your humble opinion?

I'll put up my stuff now.

1. Of course I like this game...duh! I like it because it has a killer soundtrack and the matches can get pretty intense. Plus I don't feel that you can be put into infinites like other fighting games. If you don't know what an infinite is, leave right now (not really). Basically an infinite is a move or series of moves that causes you to get stuck in the same move pattern until you A)Die or B) The person throwing it gets tired or lazy and misses a hit. SA3:3rd strike isn't hampered by this and the gameplay is balanced. In high level matches, it can really intense and people parry all over the place. It
2. I have a myriad of people that I play with, but my current favorite character is Urien. He is the villain of the series and he has some great attack options. If I could master him to the same level as say my Chun-Li or Ken or Remy, then I would be a menace, but right now I only use him in casual play. For tourney's it's mostly Ken and Remy.
3. I think that this game is one of the best fighters in the Capcom stable, closely behind SF2Turbo. The gameplay is really balanced and the game is hampered or cheapened by the existence of cheap tactics. Granted there are a few of them, but they are minor (Chun-Li's throw is frickin invincible sometimes). Some players who are fans of the versus series (Marvel vs Capcom and Capcom vs. SNK) argue that the game is too slow and more methodical than other SF's, but I think this allows for more of a chess match sort of gameplay akin to Virtua Fighter as opposed to other games, where the match can be over in a matter of seconds (like Guilty Gear-which is still awesome BTW- and Mortal Kombat).

Tell me what you think OB!

• 4 weeks later...
[quote=Korey]1. Did you like it? Why or Why not?
2. Favorite Character?
3. How does it stack up to other Capcom fighters in your humble opinion?[/quote]

[COLOR="Navy"]I've had this game for a bit. (Street Fighters Anniversary) Thinking about buying it again because it's a Street Fighters game. In any case:

Guess I'll put 1 and 3 together. Do I like it, yea.. but not really. I like it because it's a Street Fighters game. At one point of time in my life fighting games were the only type of games I would play, and Street Fighters was my favorite fighting game. Now 3rd Strike "ain't" a bad game, it's just that I don't particularly care for it compared to some of the others such as Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighters or Marvel vs Capcom. 3rd Strike seemed a little slow at the time, and I like all my fighting games with a fast pace. It's been a long time since I've played any of the games so don't hold me to that. And of course with the addition of Marvel characters I'm going to enjoy it more than 3rd Strikes Line-up of characters.

Favorite character(s) till this day are Ryu and Ken. They're easy and fun to play as, and my way of cheating "so to speak" if I wanted to shut someone up.[/COLOR]

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
[quote name='Korey']
1. Did you like it? Why or Why not?
2. Favorite Character?
3. How does it stack up to other Capcom fighters in your humble opinion?
[/QUOTE]

1.) I find this to be one of my favorite games and fighters of all time

2.) I like playing as Ryu but Yun is a fun charater as well

3.) I think this is one of the better capcom fighters because it doesnt have any of the infinite combos that some of the others do (those really ruin the game in my opinion). its also very fluid compared to the alpha series because of the graphics acceleration.

I'm trying to stay away from this gave for the time being because SF4 is coming out in February of next year. But i still play it ever now and again, especially on GGPO (awesome program if you havent used it)

[quote name='gamer0080']1.) I find this to be one of my favorite games and fighters of all time

2.) I like playing as Ryu but Yun is a fun charater as well

3.) I think this is one of the better capcom fighters because it doesnt have any of the infinite combos that some of the others do (those really ruin the game in my opinion). its also very fluid compared to the alpha series because of the graphics acceleration.

I'm trying to stay away from this gave for the time being because SF4 is coming out in February of next year. But i still play it ever now and again, especially on GGPO (awesome program if you havent used it)[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Actually, I do play on GGPO quite often. Not 3S because the game is very buggy and hard to play at the level I'm used to (landing unblockables, Actually being able to meaty attack without being wakeup parried, no lucky wakeup throws that hit from outside kara-throw range....). Also I don't like the community on GGPO. It's like 3S is their life and they take it so seriously to talk smack about each other. I just play my bit, and only harass my friends on there. I actually prefer playing Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Vampire Savior on there.

To revise my characters, I only use Urien at the moment. I've learned a lot from a professional player that I have contact with through AIM and my game has leveled up damn quick. Hopefully I can arrange some time with my buddies here and I can show off my newfound skills. ^_~[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey']Also I don't like the community on GGPO. It's like 3S is their life and they take it so seriously to talk smack about each other.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed this as well and usually i only play with the people from my work because most of the other people take it way too seriously.

BTW do you play with a fighting stick or a gamepad?

[quote name='gamer0080']I've noticed this as well and usually i only play with the people from my work because most of the other people take it way too seriously.

BTW do you play with a fighting stick or a gamepad?[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I play on a joystick, more specifically a Hori EX2. I got it at a steal for $40 at Gamestop here. It's the special Dead or Alive 4 edition to.

Don't get me wrong, I do like 3S on GGPO for being able to play people I'd normally have to travel to play. It's wicked fun, and sometimes I wish I lived in Southern California so I could kick it with Gootecks, Pyrolee, Sextaro, Arlieth and all the killer guys from Family Fun Arcade.

[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I play on a joystick, more specifically a Hori EX2.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Right now i play in the ex2 as well but i dont really like the feel to it and since i like doing things the hard way i'm actually building my own arcade stick. Hopefully i'll have it done soon.

I personally like the streetfighter 15 anniversary stick for the ps2 and xbox. its got a heavier spring and a circular restrictor plate.