OtakuBoards

Death from a Cyber Bully

vegeta rocker

[color=indigo]Anyone with an iota of knowledge concerning suicidal depression recognizes that the catalyst (the final push) is typically just the straw that slits the camel’s wrists (hurray for morbidly dark puns). It wasn’t cyber-bullying that killed this girl, it was her own psychological frailty. If cyber-bullying didn’t push her over the edge the catalyst would have probably been rejection by a boy or a remark made by a family member.

Don’t get me wrong, it is tragic that the girl didn’t receive comprehensive psychiatric aid before the hole situation went down. But she didn’t, and now everyone should just step back and chalk her death up to a culling of the herd. [/color]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i think that the woman, yes she should be punished, should she get the DP? probably not. think about it this way folks: if people had you convinced YOU caused a girl to KILL herself, im sure emotional grief would take its toll. as to the girl, im tragically sorry, but every1 reading this need to keep in mind, if u already dont, that not everyone on the internet is gonna be nice and not everyone is going to be your friend. and yes i take into account that she had a mental problem, and that she probably didnt need to be on myspace, because ive seen how mean people can be. and that goes for about everywhere in the world, if you look hard enough :animesigh well i threw my 2 cents in there, and probably said things thatve already been said here before :animedepr

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Heaven's Cloud'][color=indigo] Don?t get me wrong, it is tragic that the girl didn?t receive comprehensive psychiatric aid before the hole situation went down. But she didn?t, and now everyone should just step back and chalk her death up to a culling of the herd. [/color][/QUOTE]

She was already diagosed with depression. She was probably taking medicine or getting therapy or something already. It sounded like her parents cared enough to talk with her and deal with such things. Sometimes stuff just doesn't work. Depression varies from person to person. It may have seemed alright to everyone around her -- like a child crying over a broken toy -- something they should be able to get over. The girl may very well have not been able to get over it as easily as everyone assumed.

I think the parent is definately responsible for harassment. The mother was being ridiculously rude, mean, and downright stupid. An adult is an adult, and whether they like it or not, they're held up to higher standards than a thirteen year old.

Evil does exist. This is proof.

Her mother seriously shouldn't be letting her on the computer if she is that psychologically unstable. To bad nothing will be done to actually punish these people(as there is no justice in this world). I don't think They deserve the death penalty but they do deserve some jail time. That **** wasn't bullying that was 2nd degree murder. Not bullying. They intended extreme psychological pain and actually killed her.

[quote name='yugokitari']She was already diagosed with depression. She was probably taking medicine or getting therapy or something already. It sounded like her parents cared enough to talk with her and deal with such things. Sometimes stuff just doesn't work. Depression varies from person to person. It may have seemed alright to everyone around her -- like a child crying over a broken toy -- something they should be able to get over. The girl may very well have not been able to get over it as easily as everyone assumed.
[/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I don?t know if you are trying to refute my statement or inform me of the girl?s medical history. I am aware that she had been diagnosed with depression and that she was taking an anti-depressant medication. However, I specifically wrote ?comprehensive psychiatric aid? for a reason. Popping a Paxil pill once a day when you are as obviously as emotionally frail as this girl was is about as effective as trying to mend a severed limb with duct tape, it might seem okay for a little while, but eventually the damn thing will rot and fall off. She was way too young to have been diagnosed with depression and not be involved in some sort of serious therapy (which, according to every article I read, she wasn?t).

Don?t get me wrong, the wife is a sick *****. But is she to blame? Maybe a little, but not as much as genetics or individual frailty. You can be unrealistic and hope that everyone is always nice, and adults are always responsible, unselfish members of society, but that isn?t real life. [/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Panache;801166]Evil does exist. This is proof.[/QUOTE]Evil? Not by a long shot. Stupid and misguided perhaps but saying or implying that the mother is evil is taking it too far. She was a fool, trying to find out if anything had been said about her daughter, not someone who formed the account with the intent to make sure the girl killed herself. [quote name='Panache'']Her mother seriously shouldn't be letting her on the computer if she is that psychologically unstable. To bad nothing will be done to actually punish these people(as there is no justice in this world). I don't think They deserve the death penalty but they do deserve some jail time. That **** wasn't bullying that was 2nd degree murder. Not bullying. They intended extreme psychological pain and actually killed her.[/quote]Though I agree that some form of punishment is in order, I most definitely do not agree with the idea that it was second degree murder. Consider what you are saying here:
[INDENT]Second-degree murder is ordinarily defined as 1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion" or 2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life.[/INDENT]
I don't think the mother even came close to exhibiting the characteristics of what would be considered second degree murder. She was trying to find out if something was said about her daughter and doing so in an extremely immature and childish fashion. Her conduct though deplorable was not dangerous, it was stupid. The main reason I think punishment is in order is because she was an adult and the other was a minor. In other words the mother was suppose to be the one with the maturity to know better than to say ugly things about someone she knew had a history of depression. Worse yet, she should have known better than to do what she was so worried that someone was doing about her daughter. Saying ugly things about her behind her back. Only in this case she took it further and said it directly to the girl.

All this case shows is that the mother had obvious insecurity issues and was freaking over the 'possibility' that someone might be saying bad things about her daughter. And instead of being an adult, she behaved like an immature teen herself in order to get the answer. It doesn't make her evil, nor does it make her a murderer. It does however make me question her maturity level and wonder why someone like that is even a parent. Sad, stupid, misguided and painfully immature. But nothing else.

[B]EDIT:[/B] It seems that this case is far from over since I just ran into this. [URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22567550/"][U]Article[/U][/URL] Puts a whole new spin on online harassment should anything come out of it.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][B]EDIT:[/B] It seems that this case is far from over since I just ran into this. [URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22567550/"][U]Article[/U][/URL] Puts a whole new spin on online harassment should anything come out of it.[/QUOTE]Well even though that raises other concerns, I am at least pleased to see that they are trying to look into it. It just seems to me that we've had the attitude of it's happening and you should just accept it for far too long. Since that smacks of a lack of accountability for one's actions that I don't care for. Even if attempting to regulate or pursue something like that would be next to impossible it shouldn't be dismissed.