OtakuBoards

Everything I Need To Know I Learned from Anime

Yeah, okay, so that other thread I started about that article... Well, this is kind of a spinoff. In fact, in this thread, we should probably just forget that article ever existed. Anyway, what we gonna do is count off the valuable life lessons various anime have taught us and how. I thought this would be a fun little activity, plus it gives you something to think about.

My example: Digimon.

Where do I begin? This show is so seeped with morals and life lessons that your head will explode just trying to list them all off. Let me start with the more prominent ones.

-Courage (Tai's crest, and one of his defining traits as such.)
-Friendship (Matt's crest, as well as a central focus of the show.)
-Knowledge (Izzy's crest, it's apparently power, so study up, kiddies!)
-Love (Sora's crest, they say it makes the world go round.)
-Sincerity (Mimi's, obviously a virtue.)
-Reliability (Joe's, there's a strong point to be made here.)
-Hope (TK's, very important.)
(Light is a weird one. I'm not really sure what it's supposed to symbolize, probably not to give in to evil.)
-Perserverence, because no matter how hard they fall, they'll always get back up to fight for their beliefs, which is another one.
-Facing hardship ([spoiler]Izzy is adopted, Matt and TK's parents are divorced, lives are constantly on the line, etc.[/spoiler])
-Dealing with death ([spoiler]Season 3. Leomon. That was harsh.[/spoiler])
-Negative consequences of hatred and fear ([spoiler]The Skullgreymon and Megidramon incidents come to mind.[/spoiler])
-Accepting help from others when you need it. Hey, there's no "I" in team! (There is, however, a "me.")

Well, there ya go. I'm sure we can all think of some. Get crackin'!

[quote name='Aceburner']
-Sincerity (Mimi's, obviously a virtue.)
-Reliability (Joe's, there's a strong point to be made here.)[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]And if you want to get even more into it there's the fact that in the Japanese version Mimi's crest is Purity (being pure is probably the hardest thing to do of all the crests, hah) and [i]Joes[/i] is Sincerity. But eh.

There are a lot of things anime screws you over with aswell. I'm in this group on Facebook called "Disney gave me unrealistic expectations about love" and I think anime did that aswell, haha.

It definitely helped me learn to draw better, though. :/[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]And if you want to get even more into it there's the fact that in the Japanese version Mimi's crest is Purity (being pure is probably the hardest thing to do of all the crests, hah) and [i]Joes[/i] is Sincerity. But eh.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Did not know that. Purity seems to fit her well.

I still like reliability for Joe, but eh. Sincerity works, too.

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='Aceburner']Did not know that. Purity seems to fit her well.

I still like reliability for Joe, but eh. Sincerity works, too.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree. Purity seems to fit Mimi more but Reliability definitely fits Joe more then Sincerity. Good ol' reliable Joe, haha.

But now I'm just off topic. ^_^;[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE]Anyway, what we gonna do is count off the valuable life lessons various anime have taught us and how.[/QUOTE]Does it have to be positive and do I have to actually have learned it from said anime specifically(or can it just be an idea that is reinforced by an anime)?

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]This thread reminds me of this: [URL="http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/need2know.html"][U]Click me![/U][/URL] I think I even have a poster of one for Star Wars or Star Trek around here somewhere with the [I]List![/I] :p But yeah, I've been seeing this kind of thing for a [I]long[/I] time. Not that it isn't fun mind you. ^_~[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Panache']Does it have to be positive and do I have to actually have learned it from said anime specifically(or can it just be an idea that is reinforced by an anime)?[/QUOTE]

It should probably be positive, yeah.:p And if it's just reinforced that should be fine. It's just anything that is present in said anime, pretty much.

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]This thread reminds me of this: [URL="http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/need2know.html"][U]Click me![/U][/URL] I think I even have a poster of one for Star Wars or Star Trek around here somewhere with the [I]List![/I] :p But yeah, I've been seeing this kind of thing for a [I]long[/I] time. Not that it isn't fun mind you. ^_~[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

That's the idea. Pretty much stole it from the Kindergarden one. Didn't know there was a whole web site, though. Interesting.

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]When I try to think of an anime that has taught me anything useful in life, the first anime that come to mind is definitely NOT Dragonball Z. There are many reasons for this, and they're probably pretty obvious:

1. If you are angry because you don't have the strength to do something, spread both feet apart at shoulder length and while crouching hold your arms out in front of you as if you were flexing. Yell as loud as you possibly can and then get ready to try whatever you were doing again, because this time you will have the energy to complete the task. Ex.- Opening a mayonnaise jar.

2. If someone close to you passes away, go out and search for the dragonballs. No one is ever really dead, they're just hanging out in either HFIL or with one of the Kai's. It's all good.

3. Need an extra energy boost? Have someone beat the crap out of you. It will obviously lead to the reception of an enormous amount of strength, usually making you two or three times stronger than you were before the beating.

4. Can't fly? Purchase a jetpack.

5. Always carry around beans in your pocket. You'll never know when someone is going to try to kill you, and those beans can mean life or death.

All kidding aside, I suppose Dragonball Z taught me important things like ... Friendship? Compassion? Love? Nah, not really. [/FONT]

[QUOTE]It should probably be positive, yeah. And if it's just reinforced that should be fine. It's just anything that is present in said anime, pretty much.[/QUOTE]Well that leaves me with slightly less room to be humorous but that's ok.

[B]Arjuna[/B]
Taught me to eat my freakin vegetables and not litter or nature will kick my ****ing ***. Don't **** with nature...

[B]Kino's Journey[/B]
Taught me that you better keep your vehicle in good shape or it will give you some serious sas...seriously Hermes is sharp as a tack.

[B]Kaleido Star[/B]
Taught me that vigorous practice leads to...people yelling at you a lot anyway...but your proud of yourself! Sorta...

[B]Elfen Lied[/B]
Taught me that sometimes its OK to turn your TV off and storm out of your own room if the show is bad enough.

• 4 months later...
Guest hikaru951
From Evangelion, I learned that there is no such thing as being too mentally disturbed.

No, but really, that series was a walking therapy session if you are upset.
I was really depressed and watched the whole series for the first time, and afterwords I felt kind of like a borderline insanity case, but after that wore off, I realized everything I learned from it.
There were just too many things to accurately name, because they werent things you could really put your finger on, you just felt different.