OtakuBoards

Evolution vs. Intelligent Design

The13thMan

[quote name='TimeChaser']
I was not aware of that. However, that was someone explaining the concept in a divine term, which was the only viewpoint they knew. We know now it has nothing to do with God, but is a natural process of heat and the nature/composition of water and the atmosphere. It was only a matter of human understanding advancing far enough to explain the process in natural, scientific terms.[/quote]

Well I wouldn't say that the water cycle has nothing to do with God. While a person living in the BC era would prefer to refer to the hands of God literally drawing up the water, science has expanded on that to show us just how God has made the water cycle so. We know it is heat that evaporates water, etc, whereas for simplicity the Bible would just say the hands of God.

I get, however, why that is an untestable theory in the scientific realm. :animesmil

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE="1"]Here's what I know, and what I believe. Make of it what you will:

Evolution simply means change, and it's pretty much been proven that things do change over time, and that survival of the fittest is true, etc. Darwin's theory is the most accepted theory and rightly so. Anyone that believes Curvier, Lamarke, Buffon, etc. is in my opinion, crazy haha. There are some wild theories of evolution, but Darwin's theory makes complete sense and is not an atheist view, so I go with that.

As far as humans are concerned, you all probably know that a looong time ago, around Kenya most likely, chimpanzees and humans split off from a line of primates and the humans were neanderthals (powerful but very stupid). After migrating slowly, after a few thousand years, mankind was in Asia, Africa, and Europe. During the ice age, the Middle East became impassable and there were three groups of humans. Once the Middle East was passable, humans killed the neanderthal group, etc., and we are back to one group of humans, and this group of humans had intelligence, art, etc. These humans moved all over the world eventually, and speciation began to occur, but then people started mating with other groups of people, and speciation is even being reversed still, so that eventually people think that most people will be medium-brown, which is what we began as.

It's really quite complicated. For a good example, read about the finches on the Galapagos Islands and their example of geographic isolation and speciation. [/SIZE]

Guest Crimson Spider
[quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial]Right, science does not know if there is a god -- there is no way to veritably test god's existence, especially since you have all sorts of people claiming they know what god's [i]real[/i] nature is.

In the absence of proof, we must say god's is nonexistent until proven otherwise. If I say "there is a boogieman, seriously guys" the onus is on me to give you evidence. Otherwise, you will dismiss me as a raving lunatic, or perhaps just an irritating prankster.

The argument over god's existence is the same. Where's your proof? How can we test your hypothesis? I'm waiting...[/font][/QUOTE]

You have made the mistake of making a claim, then requiring your opponent to prove it otherwise, or else it is true.

That logic doesn't fly. Science assumes [u]nothing[/u] about a designer. Not an existence. Not an in-existence. It does this because it is incapable of doing anything else.

[quote name='Crimson Spider']You have made the mistake of making a claim, then requiring your opponent to prove it otherwise, or else it is true.

That logic doesn't fly. Science assumes [u]nothing[/u] about a designer. Not an existence. Not an in-existence. It does this because it is incapable of doing anything else.[/QUOTE]
[font=Arial]Alright, I'll grant you this -- science assumes nothing about a designer.

Those supporting intelligent design still carry the burden of proof. I would hope critical thinkers remain unconvinced of an intelligent designer (or at least do not claim it to be a testable hypothesis, and a matter of personal faith). To do otherwise would be like claiming Zeus is throwing the bolts of lightening that strike the earth.[/font]