Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
Well, it's sure been a long time since I was around here.
Anyways, on to business.

Horror manga- one of my favorite genres.
From the gory to the psychological and suspenseful.


[B]What are your favorites?[/B]


I'm personally a big fan of Junji Ito. Uzumaki, Gyo, and Tomie are among my all-time favorite series. It amazes me how his characters can be so bland and lifelike, very normal in comparison to most anime/manga characters, but still successfully gets the reader to connect and care about them. The stories themselves are chilling, the artwork beautifully uninhibited.

Franken Fran is a relatively new series, but again, one of my favorites and definitely worth a look if your sense of humor is not so straightforward.

One I will say that I did not like that I read was Elfen Lied.
It came off as more of a drama/action to me. I didn't find the storyline terribly original and I didn't care much about the characters. So after being told by countless fans to read this "great horror manga", I was rather disappointed in the end.



[B]And if you don't want to read all that[/B], here is a list of ones I consider my favorites-
Franken Fran
Gyo
Tomie
Uzumaki
Jisatsu Circle
Hell Girl
MPD Psycho
Pet Shop of Horrors
Doubt
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
Finally a comment!
xD
Thank you~

I didn't find Elfen Lied particularly gory. It was kinda typical dismemberment, which is rather unexciting after a while. I felt like most of the gore in Ito's manga were much more creative and disturbing.
Posted
Ah, I love Petshop of Horrors!

Let's see...for gory, I highly recommend Trinity Blood! And perhaps Wallflower...but not as much. That's about all for now, I'll get back to you on this later!:animesmil
Posted
[quote name='dizzyNatsume']higurashi: when they cry

although higurashi has one of the most confusing sorty lines to follow o.o[/QUOTE]

AH! I'm watching the Higurashi series right now! VERY BLOODY...

And yeah, it IS really hard to follow, isn't it? [spoiler]I mean, one minute Kei-chan's dead via slicing his throat with his own nails, and the next he's skipping around with Mion and Rena![/spoiler]
  • 2 months later...
Posted
I recommended you to see/watch if you like horror: Mirai Nikki, Higurashi no naku koro ni, Umineko no naku koro ni, and Elfen Lied. I could have said School Days but its not completey scary except the whole ending which is mess up D: Mirai Nikki is one of the creepiest manga I've seen with many blood battles :D. Doubt is also good but you already seen it lol.
Posted
[quote name='chibi-master']AH! I'm watching the Higurashi series right now! VERY BLOODY...

And yeah, it IS really hard to follow, isn't it? [spoiler]I mean, one minute Kei-chan's dead via slicing his throat with his own nails, and the next he's skipping around with Mion and Rena![/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Its hard to follow because... well the answer is in the second season: Higurashi no naku koro ni Kai. The first season is mostly about question and second season is answers. Like Why its changing scenes from death to another? kinda thing. The first season is the bloodier than second :O [spoiler] When Keichii died its going into another world because of Rika's death which wasn't shown in the first few episodes. Basically each world one person goes insane, Takano and Tomitake "dies", and Rika gets killed. [/spoiler]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...