OtakuBoards

Your "cornerstone" game(s)

Magus

[size=1]I'm doing a little bit of topic thieving from another forum.[/size]

[quote=Radical Raven @ Toon Zone][size=1]We all have videogames that changed the way we viewed gaming, and often ended up getting us interested in the genre. What games represent turning points for you? Mine are;

Yoshi's Island- The first game I ever played with the clear intention of getting from point A to point B. I was too young to have any intentions with my Atari.

Legend of Zelda: Ocaraina of Time- 'nuff said.

Banjo-Tooie- My favorite platformer, still (I liked it better than SM64).

Crystal Warriors- My first tactical RPG. [/size][/quote]
I thought this was a fairly nice topic, and seeing how I don't recall there being any topics about games that first got us into a specific genre (and such) before I thought we could use it. With that said,

[b]Super Mario Bros[/b] - While I can't stand to play the series nowdays, this was my introduction to videogames along with the platforming genre. (even though I had no idea what a genre was. I was 5 I believe.) I do give props though, because, if it weren't for this game I probably wouldn't be playing games now. The last type of platforming game I've played (where platforming was the key element) was [i]Prince of Persia: Two Thrones[/i], and that was a couple of years back. I don't really play them too much these days now.

[b]Street Fighter 2[/b] - My hook and obsession of fighting games. I'm no where near as competitive as I used to be. I still like fighting games to this day, but a lot of them lack the fun factor I had with the SF series. I've yet to play Street Fighter 4, and I highly doubt I will play it until I get a ps3. To hear that the game is unplayable (not unplayable as in... unplayable, but you know :animeswea) with the 360 controller just took out all interest in playing it for the 360. "shrugs"

[b]Goldeneye 007[/b] - Probably my favorite game on the Nintendo 64, and my first exposure to a FPS game. Like I said, I'm not nearly the competitive type I used to be back then, but when it comes to this game, I would put myself up on a high pedestal XD. Um.. yeah, I wouldn't say this opened the door to FPS's for me since the only FPS's I'd really play is this, Perfect Dark (N64) and Halo. Everything else I'm not really interested in.

[b]Final Fantasy 8[/b] - The first RPG I ever played. By the time this first came out, I was into fighting games. I hated the RPG genre back then. Didn't see what was so special about turn-based combat... (still don't actually XD) That type of combat eventually grew onto me in the end. What did it for me though was Squall. I liked his attitude and stuff. The limit breaks were just extra flavoring. And then the junction system, while I admit was very complicated to get the hang of and the drawing system was very time consuming. I still like those features very much and once you get an understanding of how everything works it gets real easy. So... yeah...

I believe that's pretty much it. I've been playing the action/adventure type games since Kung Fu, however, I don't remember anything about that game so I won't talk about that genre.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Navy"]I would have to say the game that really [i]made[/i] me a gamer, in the sense that it kept me playing and made me want to play more games, was [B]Star Wars Episode One Racing[/B]. It was the first game I owned for the N64, and I played the $#@& out of it. I don't play many racing games these days (or any, really) but I'll always look back on Star Wars racing fondly.

I would say the biggest milestone for me after that was [B]Perfect Dark[/B]. In many ways, I viewed it as the perfect game (at the time) and I'd still say it's one of my favorites. Yes, it was really just a clone of Goldeneye, but it had [i]aliens[/i], which makes it cooler by default. In any case, this was the game that got me into shooters.

After that, well... there's not much to say. I could make honorable mentions of Unreal Tournament (GotY edition), Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the first Halo and many more. But that would be unnecessary.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"][B]S[/B][B]uper Mario World + Super Mario All-star[/B]?The first game I?ve ever played and enjoyed, and I only just sold it and my Snes about 7 years ago. I liked each game in Super Mario All-stars except for Mario bros 2. The ghost key parts scared me. Each game in the collection had something special that amazed me as a child. From skipping the entire second stage in Mario Bros to the warp zones. Star Road, Special zone and the top secret zone in Super Mario World. And also the warp whistles in Mario bros 3. I was a cheating little scamp back then. But without these games, I probably wouldn?t be gaming either. There was Donkey Kong Country also, but it didn?t quite have the same impact on me.

[B]Mega Man X[/B] -- Was my first harder game that shaped me to be the first one in my friend circle to beat Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox. Before I sold it along with my Snes, I beat all the starting bosses and probably got about half way through the last part. I never knew why Mega Man just appealed to me so much, but ever game I remember playing always put me at wits end usually not to far into the game. But now, I?m least likely to give up on many things if they seem hard at first

[B]Metroid Fusion[/B]?My favorite Game boy game of all time. Besides being just a fun game, it taught me the atmosphere is very important for a game to have a great experience.
Short game deserves short description. I would put Golden Sun somewhere in this list, But I don?t know what I could say I gained from playing it. Great game though.

[B]Soul Caliber 2[/B]? The 90?s for me was getting pummeled by every teenage punk in the arcade at every fighter, but the first fighter that I was actually decent at was SC2. I have SC2?s computer a.i. to thank for that, because it seemed like it was self aware of odd game mechanics, such as ducking and parrying grabs. I haven?t played this game in years and I still want to own SC4, but I can only play a next gen console when I?m at my friend?s house and he doesn?t own it.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

the games that really started me off were gradis 3 and super mario cart for the SNES.

the game that got me serious was vice city and sly cooper. those games were so addictive i got every hidden object and clue bottle in both games. :animesmil
:triforce: