OtakuBoards

Photoshop cropping help?

Blood Huntress

[COLOR=DarkRed]*hangs head and quietly waves* Yes... tis me again... But on the bright side... I have a new...ish..... (ok, old. but new to me.) version of Photoshop. Tis 4.0. What's really bugging me, is I seem to have issues figuring out how to crop the picture, so that you have one image (say you want JUST the character in the screen shot, and you want to put him in a differnt picture, but after you get the rest of the picture out, you have just this grey space that won't go away.)

*bangs head* that makes no sense. :animeangr But if anybody gets what I'm trying to figure out to do, could you pleeeeeeeease try to explain it to me? I believe I'm desperate. :animesigh

Thanks[/COLOR]:animedepr

[SIZE="1"][COLOR=#35425e]I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with version 4.0, but I'll try to help.

First up, check your [B][COLOR="Red"]Layers[/COLOR][/B] box (probably in the bottom right) and see if the layer with your picture is named "[I][COLOR="Red"]Background[/COLOR][/I]".

If it is, then that means everything you erase will have the same color as your background (which is probably set to gray; check the icons at the left of the screen). Just like in Paint, yeah?

I'd like you to double-click the [I][B][COLOR="Red"]Background[/COLOR][/B][/I] layer and rename it to whatever you like. You'll see that the layer name won't be in italics anymore. Now you can use the Eraser/Marquee/Lasso/Wand/etcetera to get rid of the background completely.

Hope that helps![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[font=trebuchet ms]Probably the best thing to do is use the polygonal selection tool (zoom in; it gives you a fair amount of control) to select your character. Copy him, and paste him into the other image.

Unless I misunderstand what you're trying to do.[/font]

[quote name='Delta'][SIZE=1][COLOR=#35425e]I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with version 4.0, but I'll try to help.

First up, check your [B][COLOR=Red]Layers[/COLOR][/B] box (probably in the bottom right) and see if the layer with your picture is named "[I][COLOR=Red]Background[/COLOR][/I]".

If it is, then that means everything you erase will have the same color as your background (which is probably set to gray; check the icons at the left of the screen). Just like in Paint, yeah?

I'd like you to double-click the [I][B][COLOR=Red]Background[/COLOR][/B][/I] layer and rename it to whatever you like. You'll see that the layer name won't be in italics anymore. Now you can use the Eraser/Marquee/Lasso/Wand/etcetera to get rid of the background completely.

Hope that helps![/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

Yes! That helped wondrously! *bows* I am now in your debt. Thanks!

[font=trebuchet ms] IDK if Photoshop 4.0 has this tool, but there's a "background eraser" tool that's a subset option of the eraser tool. It does exactly what you think it does. Once you use it on a small part of the gray/white space, you can use the wand tool and just erase the background.[/font]