OtakuBoards

Drawing Transfer

Cat

Before we worked on our vector in my rendering class we worked on self portraits. We used just the basic high quality paper with pencil. The way he had as draw these pictures seemed a bit strange to me. We took a reference photo of ourselves and printed them out. From there we traced the photo on a light box with a dark pencil (I used ebony) and then transfered the trace onto the drawing paper. The transfer is done by putting the tracing paper pencil down and pressing hard on the back with a pencil. On the paper is a light out like of the face you have traced.

To me this seems like a strange concept. Not only did it help keep everything cleaner and proportional but also saved time. To me it almost seemed like cheating a bit.

Have any of you used this method and if so what were your feelings on it?

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1]I can see why your class was working with that technique since it IS a rendering class. And because of that, I don't think that's cheating. If it was more of a sketching class, to me, that would be kind of cheating. A lot of tattoo artists use that technique to tattoo portraits on people to make sure the proportions are right. I personally don't like working like that though. I prefer to freehand self portraits. It allows you to play around with it a little more. You can exaggerate a little more on features. [shrug][/size]