OtakuBoards

Website Redirection Advertisements

PiroMunkie

[color="#006400"][font="Arial"]So my parents just had me set up their new computer (because apparently they don't know what plugs into where, lol) and I encountered something peculiar. When I first opened up their internet browser (IE by default) it automatically redirected me to some other site about buying movies or something. I just brushed that off because it's a new computer maybe it was just set up to launch an advertisement when it was first opened. However, when doing a Google search, the same thing happened. When I clicked on a search result, I'd be redirected to a different website â?? and not malicious sites, just legit places like Cisco was one that popped up often. They also open in a new window. If I went back and clicked the link again, I'd be brought to the correct website.

At first I thought this was just because I was using Google, and Microsoft was just trying to be a dick so unsuspecting people would want to use Bing instead (though I didn't think to try searching using Bing to see if I'd get the same problem). So I tried installing Google Chrome, and the same thing happened.

I tried looking this up online, but all I really get are people saying it's a malware infection or something along those lines, however I have a hard time believing that because:
1. This is a new computer.
2. These sites aren't malicious, basically just advertising (and not even like a normal pop-up, actually brings me to the homepage of the website, lol).

My mom said she's been experiencing the same thing on her laptop. I've never had any such problem (though I think they're both on Windows 7, whereas I'm still on Vista). So I'm checking to see if any of you have heard anything about this and/or how to fix it.

[b][color="#C0C0C0"][size="1"]PS - I have no idea if this actually qualifies as a 'Hardwired' topic, but that forum is basically nothing but gaming regardless of what the description says. >_>[/size][/color][/b][/font][/color] Edited by PiroMunkie

[color=indigo]When you stated that your mom's laptop was also having problems a light went off. I remember reading a blog on CNET or Tech Crunch where a blogger was having a similar problem. It turned out that there is a problem with some Cisco/Linksys routers. You may want to look into it if, once you clear all of your browser cookies, it continues to happen.

It makes some sense if both computers are affected.[/color]

[color="#006400"][font="Arial"]Clearing cookies seemed to work. They still open in a new window, but you get the website you were looking for.

If it's an issue with cookies, though, would this just be a temporary fix? I suppose it isn't a huge deal to clear your cookies every now and then, and actually I just had them set up their browsers to clear their cookies and whatnot every time they close it â?? so crisis averted probably. Though it still leaves me curious.[/font][/color]

you can test it out by going into the security settings and disable cookies (i recommend only doing this temporarily, because a lot of good websites [like this one] use cookies to make life easy), once you do if it goes away we can assume its a cookie that keeps getting added. if not it most likely is a browser application that can be removed.... i dont know that though... its just a guess... you can test that out by changing the settings so that no third party applications are used. (it is probablly one or the other, if this works just goto an option screen and select manage add-ons delete any toolbars (or really anything that isnt java or flash... if you need something that you deleted the browser will ask you to download it next time you require it anyways).

i hope you were asking for advice on this one... cause i could just be telling you what you already knew... and if thats the case... "my bad"