OtakuBoards

Apple Refreshes Apple TV

Heaven's Cloud

[Color=indigo]A couple days back Apple announced a refreshed version of Apple TV. If you arenâ??t familiar with Apple TV, it is basically receiver that allows the user to pump web-based content directly to their television without have to hook up a computer. Nothing too revolutional, but the new refreshed Apple TV is a huge improvement on the previous generation.

First off, the refreshed version is a palm-sized, unobtrusive box that wonâ??t clutter a media center or tv stand. Second, the latest version provides Netflix support, which is necessary these days. Third, the new â??Air Playâ? feature will allow you to stream iTunes content from any computer in your home onto Apple TV. Finally, it only costs $99.

However, it isnâ??t all sunshine and lollipops in Apple TV land. The television and movie rental aspect of Apple TV is kind of a rip. Rentals are expensive and the viewing window is ridiculously narrow ($0.99 for a television show that you have access to for 48 hours and $4.99 for a movie rental that you can access for 24 hours). Apple TV is also still stuck in 720p, which isnâ??t a huge deal, but it is still kind of disappointing. It also seems to skirt compatibility with one of the most popular content services on the net, Hulu.

Overall, I think this is a nifty little device. I doubt I will pick one up (the PS3 and 360 both already have similar capabilities) but it wouldnâ??t be a bad alternative for someone that doesnâ??t have a next gen console and wants to get some added content on their flat screen.[/color]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]This is probably the first Apple TV model that I'd consider buying. But the big issue for me is the rentals. I'd really want to see a much bigger viewing window for it to be worth my while. Can you actually buy full movies on this thing or is it only streaming?

Another big issue for me is the fact that my Internet connection is really variable. Sometimes it's very fast, sometimes it's really slow. I actually think I have some sort of line fault or something. But in any case, it makes Apple TV and HD streaming pretty unrealistic at this point. I also generally prefer the idea of downloading content and then watching it, or being able to start watching a partially-downloaded clip (ala YouTube).

You've also reminded me that I've been planning to create an Official Apple Topic for a while now...maybe at some stage I'll get around to it. :P[/font]