OtakuBoards

The 'Rasslin' Thread

The Tentacle

Does anyone else on the OB keep up with professional wrestling?  I know it's the male soap opera but I've been into the WWE since I was a little kid.  If there are any other fans on the board it'd be cool to talk, gripe and rant on the subject. Edited by The Tentacle

[size="5"]YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size] WWE is still awesome. I love it way more than that WCW copycat TNA. WWE still has awesome matches and cool wrestlers....its not the Attitude Era but WWE today is pretty well managed except for a few kinks here and there.

I'll admit it's gotten sorta iffy lately with all the top card talent being confined on the same show.  Sheamus was enjoying a huge push for a while but has been totally overshadowed of late despite his championship status.  A bunch of people need to move back to Smackdown once it returns to SyFy.  

John Cena has been getting on my nerves less and less for a while but this Nexus angle is starting to get stale.  If they disband after the next PPV I think about half of them would make stellar singles wrestlers.  Justin Gabrielle is awesome as a high-flyer and Wade Barrett is a legit badass now. 

And speaking of awesome how epic is The Miz right now?  He's easily one of my favorites these days.  I think the only reason he dropped the US championship to Bryan is because he's going to cash in Money In The Bank in the not-too-distant future and take his game to the next level.

Well, I definitely love pro wrestling. I've been watching RAW more than Smackdown though so don't expect me to always chime in on what happened there. Not because I dislike Smackdown, it's only because for some reason it gets shown at 11:30 at night over here and I almost NEVER remember to watch it. I watch TNA too, from time to time I believe I'm the only one in my circle of friends who watch pro wrestling that still does.

Well, I guess I'll start with a question then, do you think that the next WWE PPV Hell in Cell? What do you guys think of this season of NXT? Oh, and that storyline with Kane and Undertaker, how's that going since I haven't seen Smackdown in a while.

Oh, and Michael Cole is getting on my last nerve. ><

[quote name='xaos' date='24 September 2010 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1285371706' post='700744']
Well, I definitely love pro wrestling. I've been watching RAW more than Smackdown though so don't expect me to always chime in on what happened there. Not because I dislike Smackdown, it's only because for some reason it gets shown at 11:30 at night over here and I almost NEVER remember to watch it. I watch TNA too, from time to time I believe I'm the only one in my circle of friends who watch pro wrestling that still does.

Well, I guess I'll start with a question then, do you think that the next WWE PPV Hell in Cell? What do you guys think of this season of NXT? Oh, and that storyline with Kane and Undertaker, how's that going since I haven't seen Smackdown in a while.

Oh, and Michael Cole is getting on my last nerve. ><
[/quote]
I kinda like the themed WWE PPVs. Some of them are awesome and they are getting rid of the crappy ones. Hell in the Cell should be entertaining. This season of NXT sucks because that its all divas. I love looking at girls but their wrestling skills are terrible....Divas mess up more stunts than anyone. I cant wait for it to be over. As for the UNdertaker/Kane thing.....Paul Bearer made a return with the powerful urn and 'Taker kicked Kane but a little.

PS The Miz is freaking awesome right now. Ive totally separated him from his Real World past....he is a legit wrestling now. Money in the Bank shouldnt have gone to him though....other guys have paid their dues and deserve a push(Christian, John Morrison, etc.)

I'm kicking myself for not watching the first season of NXT since all of their rookies came to Raw and formed the Nexus.  Now I know next to nothing about their in-ring ability since the most they've done so far have been gang assaults.  I've only recently realized that some of them are as entertaining to watch as any veteran and I'm wishing I'd been there to see their debut matches on NXT.

I'm feeling in-the-dark about the 2nd season guys as well but couldn't care less about the Divas.  Not that I'm bashing female wrestlers, mind you.  I'm just saying that they're mainly eye candy and these NXT girls don't really stand out at all.  I could be wrong though.  As usual I'm withholding judgement until I see what they're capable of.  

You never know.  Anyone from NXT could be the next Miz.  I like that guy a lot since he earned his fame through hard work.  He's not married to the bosses daughter or friends with any high-rollers.  He's not a 2nd or 3rd generation wrestler and he wasn't trained by a notable veteran.  The Miz just got a lucky break, busted his chops from beginning to end and is now reaping the benefits of his efforts.  For that reason I'm always willing to give the new blood the benefit of the doubt.  

I haven't been watching Smackdown lately but I'm sincerely glad that Kane is finally getting a decent push.  If anyone has paid their dues it's him.  I'm told he's had opportunities in the past but has always stood aside to put over the newer guys.  Rumor has it that this championship reign and feud with the Undertaker is his way of going out with a bang.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kane retires after it's said and done.

And Michael Cole as a heel announcer is pretty cool in my humble opinion.  It gives him more clout and personality, especially when he's calling matches next to a legend like Jerry Lawler every week.  Plus he's a fellow Mizfit so I'm down with his change in attitude.

• 1 month later...
Anybody here who's shocked that The Miz is WWE Champion already? Me too. I remember when he used to be the SmackDown! host. I didn't like his gimmick then; heck, I though it was somewhat annoying. But then, he slowly improved as the years went by. And now, he's your WWE Champ. Unbelievable, ain't it?

I really enjoy Michael Cole's new heelish persona. After all, he's getting a lot of heat from fans even in the past because of his work as a commentator on Raw (which I think is a little odd since he's okay in my opinion). With his new heelish persona, he could at least show the fans that this guy ain't backing down anymore. Heck, I really enjoyed that promo he had with Daniel Bryan back when they were in NXT.

You have to admit, the WWE is really into the youth revolution these days, at least when you tune in to Monday Night Raw. You've got The Miz, Sheamus, the NXT, Daniel Bryan, and you could even add Jack Swagger from SmackDown! in the list. Of course, we also have Randy Orton and John Cena, who are still considerably young but are now on the road to becoming veterans. Really, it's amazing how WWE has been in recent times.

Don't forget Cody Rhodes, Ted DiBiase and Drew McIntyre on that list.  They're doing pretty well right now in the mid-card but any one of them could be the next breakout star.  They've all had gold already and are all pretty well established as far as staying power goes.  

And as a Mizfit I was estatic when Miz too the title.  I predicted he would have done that at the Pay-Per-View but alls well that ends well.  Hopefully he'll garner more attention than Sheamus did during his title reign.  Although his feud with Santino was a lot more entertaining by far.

Plus with Cena out of action for a while the Miz and the Nexus won't have to share the spotlight with the company's golden boy.  The next few weeks are going to be very interesting.

• 3 months later...
*blieep blieep*

May I have your attention please? I, The Shinje, have just recieved an email from Raw's anonymous General Manager. And I quote:
The General Manager wants to see more action in this thread as Wrestlemania XXVII is just around the corner.

This years Wrestlemania looks epic, especially since The Rock is goign to be hosting the show, and the WWE has certainly missed his presence over the years. To see him a few weeks ago come back and rock that mic like he never left was pretty darn awesome, he's still got the skills, I look forward to seeign what his role with the WWE will be when he returns after 'Mania, and you bet he will.

Triple H V Undertaker will be a good one to watch. I can't predict this one. I can't see Triple H ending the streak but at the same time I can't see them torttign this out as a storyline yet again, only to have it end exactly the same way, with 'Taker keeping the streak and yet another victim being added to the list. Yeah, 18 times, but most of those victims were not part of an 'oooh I'm ah gunna break teh streak woo!' type storyline.

Cena v. Miz is predictable. The Miz has not learned the unwritten law, that if you 1) are constantly owning your opponent in all the pre 'big event' hype and 2) you are a heel, then it equals you opponent scoring the big victory and getting the last laugh. Duh. It's how I predicted Shawn Michaels would not end 'Taker's streak. :sly:

So, Wrestlemania anyone? Let's get this speculations flying.