OtakuBoards

Wii controllers suck! Any alternatives?

oxic_berry

for Wii bowling, i understand, but it's just downright silly >.< anyways, i wanted to play some old-school multiplayer (mostly N64) games and me and my friend alex haven't been able to find anything that would work as an adapter so we can use the original controllers :P can anyone point me in the right direction? :3 thanks!

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Dr. Google brings up [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120627982107&rvr_id=150957026883&crlp=1_263602_304642&UA=WVF%3F&GUID=73d7c25f12b0a02652a2d572ffbb1b83&itemid=120627982107&ff4=263602_304642]this[/url] on eBay, though I question how "official" it really is, since I've never heard of such a thing before. Can anyone confirm it?

Other alternatives that you can try [if you haven't already] are either the Wii Classic Controller or a GCN controller. Both work for anything off the Virtual Console, although to what degree varies with the game. For example, the button layout on the GCN controller makes running and jumping in [i]Super Mario RPG[/i] at the same time really awkward, while the Classic controller handles it just fine -- whereas in [i]Ocarina of Time[/i], the game is darn near impossible to control with the Classic, but the GCN works relatively well.

However, if you ever happen to want to play a GCN game with the Classic controller, it won't work, so keep that in mind.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

i saw that *nod* it's a wee bit sketchy though for $72 :\ i saw another one that was basically a white hub with one port for each of the older systems (SNES, NES, GENESIS, and N64) but i read a little more into them and supposedly they don't work very well with the Wii (they're glitchy and have a delicate connection with the Wii)... but that's all i know :( still on the lookout

[quote name='Sangome' date='08 October 2010 - 12:42 PM' timestamp='1286566925' post='700994']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Other alternatives that you can try [if you haven't already] are either the Wii Classic Controller or a GCN controller. Both work for anything off the Virtual Console, although to what degree varies with the game. For example, the button layout on the GCN controller makes running and jumping in [i]Super Mario RPG[/i] at the same time really awkward, while the Classic controller handles it just fine -- whereas in [i]Ocarina of Time[/i], the game is darn near impossible to control with the Classic, but the GCN works relatively well. [/font][/color]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]And I myself have only ever played Ocarina of Time once without the GCN controller, So I don't even know the difference.

But yeah, I personally recommend the GCN controller. If I recall correctly, there's even a new edition of Wavebirds being released that are advertised for use with the Wii (with a sidenote of "also works with Gamecube!"). Other than that, I'm not really sure. I'm assuming you're not really that fond of the Nunchuck attachment for these purposes? I can't really imagine it would improve your situation much more than just using the Wiimote would.

Oh, and the Classic controller is set up more or less the same way as an SNES controller. Some people hate that layout, but it's also similar to the DS layout, so if you're okay with that, go for it. As for NES, turning the Wiimote sideways basically results in a slightly fatter version of the same button layout.[/font]

[color=#4B0082]The GCN controller is superior to the N64 controller unless you're playing a game that really needs separated C buttons or non-analog triggers.

I got a SNES-to-GCN adapter that lets me use a SNES controller for Virtual Console games, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's N64-to-GCN adapters out there. $72 is a total ripoff, though. You shouldn't have to pay more than maybe $20 for an adapter.[/color]