OtakuBoards

Yakuza series

Magus

I've never played any of the Yakuza games, and to be honest I never thought I'd be interested in the series because it reminds me of the GTA series and I'm just not a fan of that series at all. (I hear it's good for anger management though) It's hard to really explain it. The "thug" nature of the games is not the turnoff, it's more like Rockstar games in general that just don't really appeal to me (And they look ugly). Anyway, I didn't really get curious about Yakuza until the 3rd game and while I haven't played it, people have told me that it's the next best thing for those of us that likes Shenmue, and, well, we know how big of a fan I am when it comes to the Shenmue games. Another reason why I think I'm more interested in the Yakuza games is because I'm more interested in the japanese settings and there's martial arts in it.

Anyway, onto the trailer.

[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/story-trailer-yakuza-4/707839[/media]

The voice person makes that stuff sound interesting lol.

Anyone else played these games? Thoughts? Etc, etc.

If you're trying to get into the Yakuza series, your best bet is to start with Yakuza 3. Included in the disc are lengthy videos explaining the events of both Yakuza 1 + 2. It's a great starter into the series and sets you up for Yakuza 4.

There's also Yakuza: Of The End and Yakuza: Black Panther to look forward to as well. By the way Yakuza is a lot better than the Shenmue games :P Edited by Roronoa Zoro

Yakuza is NOTHING like GTA

GTA consists of driving and shooting which Yakuza has none of. Also this game isn't like the masterpiece that is the Shenmue series. The combat is very simplistic not like the virtua fighter engine they used in Shenmue. Yakuza is a great series though. Incredible graphics and the Japanese voice acting are great.It's a fun series and there lots of sidequest and the plot is also good and compelling.

I love Yakuza but it's not even a poor mans Shenmue. It's doesn't have the attention to detail , the depth of combat , mystery , and exploration that Shenmue is famous for. Edited by Starslayer