OtakuBoards

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

PiroMunkie

[center][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Z_D9Grh18&feature=topvideos_film[/media][/center]

[color="#006400"]I originally heard about this movie several months ago, back when it was going by the name [i]Caesar[/i] (which changed to [i]Rise of the Apes[/i] before going to [i]Rise of the Planet of the Apes[/i]). Being a fairly big nerd as far as the PoTA franchise goes, I was pretty excited and hoping for a giant step up from Tim Burton's remake of the original movie. Though after seeing this trailer I'm left a bit skeptical. D:

As far as I can tell this is a remake, or maybe more accurately a re-imagining or retelling, of [i]Conquest of the Planet of the Apes[/i]. For those who haven't seen it, the movie essentially sets the premise that Zira and Cornelius (the two apes from the original movie) came back in time and warned the humans of what their future was like, in hopes that they could prevent one species from dominating or exterminating the other. Humans, being human, feared this news and the messengers who brought it, and ordered their execution, but not before Zira gave birth to a son who was sent into hiding. Years later their son, Caesar (who, as a descendant of Zira and Cornelius, is an intelligent ape capable of speech), would be brought out of hiding into a major city, where he sees the state of his kind; kept as slaves, or pets at best. After a few inciting incidents Caesar starts a rebellion.

This remake seems to stray away from [i]all[/i] of that, which makes me really sad, lol. The idea that the ape intelligence was something man-made and that it somehow made them "evil" (or that they're inherently so) seems like it just makes the story too black and white and loses all the dynamic and flavor of the original movie. Now, given, the original film was set as part of a series, and perhaps they wanted this movie to be able to stand alone and merely [i]hint[/i] at the old franchise for us old folk and nerds. Though, if that's the case, I wish they would have stuck with a less traditional name. I mean, when I originally read about this film, it was set next to an image of the main ape and was titled [i]Caesar[/i], that was enough for me to know what that movie was going to be, lol.

So I don't know, as an avid fan of the original movies, it's going to be hard to watch this and judge it on its own merit. What are your thoughts?[/color]

• 3 months later...
[color="#006400"]So I guess I was the only one here geeked about this movie. :P

Anyway, I managed to watch this the other day and I was pleasantly surprised. It's definitely less of a remake and more of a reimagining of [i]Conquest of the Planet of the Apes[/i] like I mentioned before. I believe it sort of modernizes and reinvents the series very well. It doesn't try to make one suspend their beliefs on too many broad concepts (like time travel being a factor in the original), but instead asks the question, "What if this happened today?"

There were a few things that made me a little iffy about how the movie tackled them, but they weren't dealbreakers. I think one of my favorite subtleties was the ape hierarchy, keeping true to the general roles each kind of ape played in the original movies.

I would recommend this to anyone, and would definately watch it again.[/color]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I thought your view might turn around a bit, partly because I have heard similar critiques from friends who have seen the movie.

I am not at all a [i]Planet of the Apes[/i] fan, but I'm actually quite keen to see this movie. [/font]

• 2 months later...
Guest Greta27
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=2]I had extremely low expectations for Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011). I loved the original 1968 classic, but every sequel/remake after it sucked. I was surprised they were going to make a prequel of the classic and I thought it was a good idea. But still after so many bad sequels and remakes, I still had my big doubts. Also I didn't like how the monkeys were made by CGI/Special Effects, why not use a robotic monkey or a real one, it would look more real.[/size][/font][/color]<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; ">[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=2]After my viewing of the film, I was pleasantly surprised and I liked it overall. But there were definitely flaws in the movie, no doubt about it. The characters were a bit uninteresting at times, there were subplots that went pretty much nowhere and indicated that there could sequels in the works, but it all depends on how much money it makes. The movie, at some points turned to an average summer blockbuster with all the action scenes and explosions, but it redeems itself later on.[/size][/font][/color]<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; ">[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=2]However there are plenty of positive qualities, the movie has. Andy Serkis delivers a great performance as the lead ape in the film and is pretty much the star of the film. James Franco and Freida Pinto, both did a good job portraying their characters. The movie also poses ethical/moral questions, which I found very interesting. The movie is easily on of the most thrilling films we've had this summer. Finally a movie that pays respect to the 1968 original science fiction classic![/size][/font][/color]

• 1 month later...
[quote name='IIISTARSCREAMERIII' timestamp='1323808565' post='710556']
[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="5"][color="#9932CC"]This movie was a good watch all except for the crappy ending. If anyone has a different opinion about it please explain it to me because other then the ending i liked this movie[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]
[color="#006400"]You mean the post-credits ending?[/color]