OtakuBoards

G4's Top 100 Games of All Time

Magus

I don't know how many of you watched it, but G4 had a week long mini-series type thingy revealing what they thought were the top 100 games of all time. Incase you missed it here were the choices.

100. Pong
99. Words With Friends
98. Pitfall
97. NBA 2K11
96. Guitar Hero 2
95. Burger Time
94. Braid
93. Star Wars: Tie Fighter
92. Galaga
91. The Sims
90. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
89. Left 4 Dead
88. Double Dribble (NES)
87. Mass Effect 2
86. OutRun
85. Silent Hill 2
84. Wii Sports
83. Ninja Gaiden (2004)
82. Super Smash Bros. Melee
81. Resident Evil
80. Gears Of War 3
79. Psychonauts
78. Spy Hunter
77. Excitebike
76. Blades Of Steel (NES)
75. Fallout 3
74. Star Fox 64
73. Mega Man 2
72. Mortal Kombat
71. Wing Commander 2: Vengeance Of The Kilrathi
70. Star Wars Arcade
69. Double Dragon
68. Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time
67. Minecraft
66. Assassin's Creed 2
65. Unreal Tournament
64. NBA Jam
63. Wolfenstein 3D
62. Sid Meier's Civilization 2
61. God Of War 3
60. Contra (NES)
59. Maniac Mansion 2: Day Of The Tentacle
58. Ultima Online
57. [url="http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=Pokemon"]Pokemon[/url] Red & Blue
56. Super Street Fighter 4
55. Kingdom Hearts
54. Gauntlet
53. Deus Ex
52. Rock Band 3
51. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
50. [url="http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=Sonic+the+Hedgehog"]Sonic The Hedgehog[/url]
49. Angry Birds
48. Tecmo Bowl
47. Myst
46. Red Dead Redemption
45. Metal Gear Solid
44. Grand Theft Auto 4
43. Quake 3: Arena
42. Ghost N' Goblins
41. Super Mario 64
40. Space Invaders
39. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
38. Super Metroid
37. Halo: Combat Evolved
36. [url="http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=Batman"]Batman[/url]: Arkham City
35. Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night
34. Counter-Strike
33. Final Fantasty 7
32. Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!
31. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
30. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
29. Star Wars: Nights Of The Old Republic
28. Super Mario Kart
27. Chrono Trigger
26. Ico
25. Grand Theft Auto 3
24. Madden NFL 2005
23. Halo 3
22. Panzer Dragoon Saga
21. Resident Evil 4
20. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
19. Diablo 2
18. Ms. Pac-Man
17. Starcraft
16. Half-Life
15. Donkey Kong
14. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
13. Portal
12. Doom II
11. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
10. World of Warcraft
9. Shadow of the Colossus
8. Goldeneye 007
7. Super Mario Brothers 3
6. The Legend of Zelda
5. Tetris
4. Asteroids
3. Bioshock
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
1. Super Mario Brothers

Personally, I didn't get a chance to catch the show at all due to me working the midnight shift, but now that I got a better look at the list, I am kinda shocked that basketball games actually made a list for a change. I do have to admit that there are some games on there you'd never see me play. For the most part I don't really have much to say about G4's list. I never took these kinds of things seriously from the getgo. I just find them to be fun, If anything, it tells me that I should really try playing Shadow of the Colossus, Portal, Minecraft and Angry Birds one day.

Thoughts?

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#008080]It's interesting to me here how they name specific games in the series (Gears 3, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Halo 3...etc) instead of just mentioning the games that actually started those franchises. Gears 1 was the one that kickstarted it all and got the franchise rolling, how is 3 any different than that (besides that multiplayer is about a bazillion times better). And as much as I love Super Turbo, I think the ORIGINAL SFII game should have been on there. That's the game that got people in arcades playing fighters. That's the one that revolutionized the genre. ST didn't come out until years later.

I am happy that Link to the Past was put above Ocarina of Time though. No one believes me when I say that LttP is a much more fun game. Sure OoT brought Link into 3D, but when you think of the scale of the adventure in LttP and the fact that you can come back to this game and still be wowed by it after years and years and years really speaks to it. For a SNES game, LttP had an enormous world to explore and so many little things to find ( I have yet to 100% grab everything in this game). It felt awesome and challenging and really is the highest point of the Zelda franchise.[/color][/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#008080]No Donkey Kong Country makes me sad though. ;_;[/color][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#9900ff]Well, it's certainly better than the list the Guiness Book of World Records came out with some time ago...[/color][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#9900FF]Kinda wondering how they compiled all of this, though. Like, what were the credentials and stuff? I'm interested in how they came to a lot of these.[/color][/font]

[quote name='SOL' timestamp='1339930924' post='712027']
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][color=#008080]It's interesting to me here how they name specific games in the series (Gears 3, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Halo 3...etc) instead of just mentioning the games that actually started those franchises. Gears 1 was the one that kickstarted it all and got the franchise rolling, how is 3 any different than that (besides that multiplayer is about a bazillion times better). And as much as I love Super Turbo, I think the ORIGINAL SFII game should have been on there. That's the game that got people in arcades playing fighters. That's the one that revolutionized the genre. ST didn't come out until years later.[/color][/font]
[/quote]

That would make more sense, but then again for something like that I'd probably call it top 100 game series or something along those lines (It would definately make things more condense instead of seeing the repeated games). At the same time I gotta admit that I never cared about what revolutionized or influenced what. Granted, I understand that the games wouldn't be what they are today without those influences/revolutions, but I'm all about what I like and would still play now. Then again that"s probably just me.