Chaos Posted March 8, 2002 Posted March 8, 2002 A simple question. How did blackmail get it's name? Does anyone know? The subject of blackmail came up in an IM, and it got me thinking of how it got it's name. Please, can anyone solve this for me?
NorykoAngelcry Posted March 8, 2002 Posted March 8, 2002 [COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]Back in the 1800's, a politician discovered some very threatening news, gathering information on some of his closer members. He figured he would keep the information to himself, and use it when he needed to, so he could further his own success. Well, when he finally came to needing some support, he sent out a black envelope to many of the polititians, threatening to leak the information if they didn't help him. Thus - Blackmail. Hope that helps =) .. .. .. .. .. ..Just kidding, hope that didn't mess you up too much ^_^ Just having some fun. . but HONESTLY, I DO believe it has something to do with black envelopes. So. . I just wasted your time, sorry =( [/SIZE][/COLOR]
Fall Posted March 8, 2002 Posted March 8, 2002 I suppose no other name suits it. I mean, "bluemail" doesn't exactly... fit it... :D But yeah, it couldv'e had something to do with black letters or something...
Guest Shift Posted March 8, 2002 Posted March 8, 2002 Blackmail...hmmm...i don't really know. Hmph, this sucks *note to self*...find the oigin of the word blackmail*end note*
Recommended Posts