OtakuBoards

Soul Calibur 2: Improving greatness or simply rehasing it?

Charles

The Dreamcast version of Soul Calibur blew me away. I loved the arcade version. I remember stopping by the arcade with my buddies just to stomp them in a few bouts of Namco's (then) newest fighter. Although some said that it lacked the depth of the aforementioned titles, it provided a pretty nice alternative. Quite frankly, I was disappointed that the Dreamcast port lacked internet support, because a lot of the game's fun was a result of competing against complete strangers only to make myself look like a fighting game guru or a complete fool.

However, the home version did include rebuilt character models, complete with an integrated torso and hip skeletal system that increased the realism in the game's animation. Namco even took the models one step further and gave them an articulating jaw, so that they would be able to display facial animations. On top of that, the upgrade in stages from two dimensional (well, 2.5) to three dimensional only added the icing onto the intense gameplay. And don't even get me started on the mouth watering art that Namco included as a secret bonus. There were no beautiful computer generated movies, but I was more than satisfied with what was presented.

Now, let's fast forward to the highly anticipated Soul Calibur 2. I have to sa that I'm disappointed with what I've seen and heard and [I]what I haven't seen and heard.[/I] My concern, apparent in the thread's title, is whether or not the game will bring any significant improvements to the plate.

In the preview version, people have stated that the characters and gameplay are [I]very[/I] familiar with the DreamCast version. Most of the characters from the original version are nearly identical in physical appearance and fighting style, offering change, only in a few move animations.

Overall, there are some modifications to gameplay, but I'm wondering if it will be enough to keep the series on the high pedestal that it's predecessors put it on. Do you think that we'll see enough change to make this game a hit sequel or a cash in on the franchise?

[color=royalblue]To be honest, I haven't read a great deal about SC2.

To me, it sounds as though Namco are taking an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

It really depends how things pan out. The arcade version of SC2 may have little improvements overall, whereas console versions might be improved...it's hard to say at this point.

Furthermore, most of the improvements in SC2 were pretty trivial things (they were minor visual and peripheral changes...I mean, who really cares about new costumes?).

So I guess I'm saying that as long as the gameplay is solid...and features improvements, it won't necessarily matter how many articles of clothing are up for choosing...or how lovely the hair looks blowing in the wind.[/color]

Guest Morph
[size=1]Well Soul Calibur was and still IS my favorite arcade game, Maxi is my favorirte. Soul Calibur 2 is also coming out for XBOX. And I have heard some things, like more characters, levels, and stuff like that. Im gonna get it, wait a second, maybe it was just Soul Calibur coming out for XBOX, I dont remember [/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=royalblue]
Furthermore, most of the improvements in SC2 were pretty trivial things (they were minor visual and peripheral changes...I mean, who really cares about new costumes?).
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I guess you're right. The only major changes I can remember is Namco ditching the weapons meter and changing the shape of the rings. In all, they made the pacing more hectic, which served the game well.

Hehe, as for the new costumes, well [I]I[/I] personally don't care for them, but I guess some people do. Tecmo's even coming out with an add-on disc for DOA3, mainly for the purpose of adding costumes. Personally, I never cared about dressing up digital dolls.

[Quote][B]Im gonna get it, wait a second, maybe it was just Soul Calibur coming out for XBOX, I dont remember[/B][/Quote]

Actually Soul Calibur 2 is coming out for GameCube, Xbox and PS2. I couldn't put it in all three forums though. I doubt that the Xbox version will get extra characters and stuff. The improvements will be trivial if there even are any.

Out of all fighting games, I must say Soul Calibur brought out the most enjoyment I've ever got from a fighting game besides Virtua Fighter 4, and Capcom/SNK's Fighters.

I hope the sequel to Soul Calibur will bring much more improvements to the game such as new modes, new art gallerys, and much more replay value.

In my opinion Virtua Fighter 4 proved how a sequel to a fighting game can improve alot if the company worked hard enough, so I hope the same will be for Soul Calibur 2.:)

When the times come and Soul Calibur 2 releases out to the public, I expect alot from it.

I used to spend ages playing on Soul Calibur on my bro's dreamcast, i really liked it. I'm hoping the new one will be as much as i expect but really all you can expect is better graphics and more characters isnt it? I mean it would be hard to improve the gameplay because i personally think it was great.