OtakuBoards

9/11 fic

Roxie Faye

Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN DIGIMON!

A/N: this is a digimon 9/11 fic. if you don't like digimon and/ or are sensitive to the 9/11 attacks, i highly suggest you don't read this. My heart goes out to everyone involved in the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Oh yeah, I don?t think this fic is disrespectful, I would know, because I?m American, so try not to get mad at me for that. It's also contains major Kenyako (ken+Miyako/yolei), a little bit of takari, and a few bits of Mimou, just so you know. not too much mimou, though, it's only like a teeny bit. Here's the fic:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
?Ahhh! New York City! The Big Apple! I can't wait to see all the sights,? Davis said.

?Well, I doubt you'll be able to see the sights at 9:00 in the evening. Besides, I'm sure we're all a little jet lag and we need to get some sleep,? Izzy told Davis.

Eleven friends, Tai, Matt, Izzy, Joe, Sora, T.K., Kari, Davis, Cody, Yolei, and Ken waited on the side walk, half of them, like Kari, falling asleep.

Matt and Tai hailed a few taxis. They all got inside the taxis, and were driven to their hotel. When they got there, half of them were asleep, and the other half that was awake, carried them inside. Inside the hotel, after every got settled in, they went straight to bed.

?WAKE UP!!!!!? Davis shouted to everyone the next morning.

?Why don't you go back to sleep,? T.K. muttered sleepily. He threw his pillow at Davis.

?Awwww, come on, T.P. Wake up. We're going to see The Big Apple, today!?

After some mumbling and grumbling, everyone finally woke up, or rather, Davis woke everyone up.

Outside the hotel, everyone discussed what they were going to do.

?Me and Tai are going to see the Twin Towers. Anyone wanna come?? Davis asked.

?Sure, I'll come,? Cody said.

?I'll come, too!? Yolei said brightly. ?Ken, are you coming??

?Of course," Ken replied.

?I think I'll come," T.K. said. "Kari, are you coming??

?I think I'll stay with Sora to wait for Mimi,? Kari responded.

?You sure? She's not coming until 10:00.?

?Yeah, I'll be fine.?

?What the heck, I?ll come, too,? Matt said.

?Izzy, Joe, you coming?? Tai asked.

?No thanks, I?m going to go down to Wall Street.? Izzy replied.

?Wall Street?? Tai said, a bit puzzled.

?It serves primarily the same function as the World Trade Center, it?s where stocks are traded, and you can get a stock broker, and all sorts of financial things go on there.? Izzy informed him.

?Oh. Well, Joe what about you??

?I think I?ll go with Izzy,? Joe said.

?Alright, well then. We?ll all meet up at the Empire Stated building at 10:00 to greet Mimi.? Tai told everyone.

Sora and Kari headed down the street, while the rest of the group headed in the opposite direction. As they drew closer to the Twin Towers, Izzy and Joe departed from the others at Wall Street.

When they reached the North Tower, the group stared at the Towers in awe. They were looking at one of the tallest buildings in the world.

Matt pushed open the door and they all walked inside.

?Wow. I can?t believe how tall this this,? Yolei marveled, walking inside the elevator.

?It?s 1,368 feet with 110 stories. The South Tower is 1,362 feet, with 110 stories as well,? Cody commented.

?The North Tower is then approximately 417.24 meters tall and the South Tower would be around 415.41 meters tall,? Ken informed them.

?You guys sure know a lot about the Twin Towers,? T.K. complemented them.

?Not really, I just read it in the brochure,? Cody told T.K.

As soon as they stepped out of the elevator, they heard an ear splitting roar. Davis thought he would go deaf because of the noise.

?What was that?? he asked.

Almost immediately an answer came. Hundreds of people came rushing down the stairs, mostly yelling or screaming. A couple people screamed something like ?A plne hit the building!?

Ken felt his stomach lurch. ?Come on!? he shouted, ?Run!?

The was pandemonium everywhere. People kept running and running into others. Chunks of the ceiling were falling down. Cody fainted and Matt picked him up.

Suddenly, in all the confusion, Ken realized Yolei wasn?t with them. He turned around the other way, trying to find Yolei, like a fish swimming upstream.

?Yolei?!? Where are you?? Ken shouted. Someone pushed him down; his head hitting the floor. He saw his world go dimmer. ?Yolei!? was the last thing he heard himself say before spun into unconsciousness.

A wile later, Ken woke up. He still had his eye lids closed, all he could see was the darkness. He wondered what had happened, and where was Yolei? Ken finally opened his eyes to find he was in a hospital. He saw Davis and Izzy on the other side of the room.

?What happened?? he asked.

?Well, a commercial airplane hit the North tower, where we were, at 8:45 A.M. That was the loud explosion we heard,? Izzy explained, typing on his laptop. ?Then, at 9:03 A.M., another plane hit the South Tower. Later, at 9:50 A.M., the South Tower collapsed, and the North Tower followed at 10:29 A.M.?

Ken sat there in shock. The horror. All those people, gone. And what about Yolei? What had happened to her? ?What happened to everyone?? Ken asked.

?Tai pulled you out. He has a broken leg, but he?s fine. Infact, he?s walking around the hospital right now,? Davis told him.

?Really? He did?? Ken asked, surprised.

?Yeah.?

?What about the others?? Ken was mainly thinking about Yolei.

?Me, Izzy, and Joe are fine, just a few minor scratches. Izzy?s sending e-mail to our parents to tell them the situation. The phone lines are all tied up. And Joe is out in the waiting room, treating people with injuries. The doctors and nurses keep telling him to stop, but he?s pretending he doesn?t know English. I think he?s trying to keep his mind off Mimi, and how she?s doing. Speaking of which, Mimi and Michael were about to leave Brooklyn, when the planes crashed. Now they?re stuck there, but they?re fine. Cody fainted, I think from the confusion. He?s doing just fine. Matt carried him out. Matt has a broken arm, but he?ll be fine, as well. Cody?s in the room across the hall, but somehow Matt ended up, um... where, Izzy?

?St. Mary?s Hospital,? Izzy said. ?It?s only ten minutes away, but in this mess, it?ll be an hour. He?s trying to leave the hospital to come here, but the doctors won?t let him.?

?Where?s Sora and Kari?? Ken asked.

?We can?t find them. I don?t think they?re in any danger, but we can?t find them.?

The door opened, and in came Sora and Kari, their cheeks red, and trying to catch their breath.

?Where is everyone? Are they alright?? Sora asked.

?What about Tai and T.K.?? Kari exclaimed

?Tai?s walking around the hospital,? Izzy responded. ?Everyone is fine-except for T.K. and Yolei. We-we-? He took a deep breath. ?We can?t find them.?

Kari sunk to the ground, crying. ?It?s all my fault,? she whispered.

Ken?s stomach gave a jolt again. Yolei? Gone? It wasn?t possible. She had her whole life to live and he loved her so much. This couldn?t be happening.

Suddenly, Kari screamed.

?What?s wrong?? Sora asked, bending down to comfort Kari.

?Voices,? she responded. She looked up, her eyes wide open. ?I can hear voices of people. They?re just screaming, screaming. It sounds like... T.K.!? she started to cry again.

Ken put his hands to head. He could hear them, as well. Was it possible that Yolei was in there? Was she already dead? He jumped out of the bed, and ran out the door, and the hospital. He was determined to find T.K. and Yolei. Especially Yolei.

?Ken! Wait! Come back!? Ken heard someone shout as he ran out the door.

He ran up the street and when he got to the rubble that was once the magnificent twin towers, he found a mob of people and police officers blocking off the site.

Ken ran through the crowds of people surveying the site. When he reached the officer, he said, ?Only authorized personnel is allowed beyond this point. No civilians.? Ken paid no attention to his words. He tried to get past the officer, and eventually pinned him down with a few simple Judo moves.

*Yolei, where are you?* he thought as he ran directly into the rubble. Some fire officers, police officers, and medical authorities spotted Ken and ran towards him, shouting for him to stop, and go back. Ken paid no attention to them, either.

The voices became louder the further he went into the rubble. He heard a voice drumming loudly in his head, and he began digging. *Please be Yolei* Ken thought. It was not. It was a woman, so covered in soot and debris that it was hard to make out the face. The officers were coming closer to him. When they reached him, he handed them the body. They were startled a bit, and instead of making Ken leave, they took the woman and turned to go bring her to an ambulance.

A voice was shouting to Ken in the back round, coming closer. It was Davis. ?Ken! What in the world do you think you?re doing??

?What does it look like I?m doing? I?m going to find T.K. and Yolei if it?s the last thing I do. It?s horrible to lose someone you care about, and I?m not going to let that happen. I have to do this.?

Davis stood there and Ken turned back to the rubble. When he started to dig again (the officers had let him stay), he heard someone digging next to him. Ken looked up to see Davis.

?I thought you might need a hand,? he said. Ken only grinned. As they pulled a body out, they recognized the face. It was T.K. Davis picked him up and carried him to an ambulance.

All though the night and the next few days, Ken dug through the rubble, his eyes bloodshot from not sleeping, until all the voices slowly died away. In all the time, he did not find Yolei.

The night before everyone left was supposed to leave for home, Ken looked out the window, to the empty space that was the twin towers. Mr. and Mrs. Inoue were heartbroken when they received the news that their little girl was gone. They couldn?t even have a proper funeral, because her body wasn?t recovered. Ken felt even worse than them. He felt so much sadness, grief and despair. Yolei was gone. Gone forever. The one person he loved and cared for so much was gone.

When the group arrived at the airport in Tokyo, news crews and cameras were there, taking pictures and asking questions like ?How do you feel?? or ?Do you feel safe in Tokyo?? and they specifically asked them to Matt and Ken.

Ken paid no attention to them and turned his face away from the cameras. They couldn?t begin to understand how he felt, all the pain he was going through.

The Monday Ken went back to school was a nightmare. Students crowded around him, eager to know what happened. Girls asked him out left and right, now ecstatic that he was single. Of course, though, he turned them all down. On Tuesday, Ken pretended to be sick to stay home, and the rest of the week, for the first time in his life, he played hooky, and escaped to the digital world to avoid people.

He wouldn?t eat, and he barely slept. Wormmon was becoming worried. He didn?t know what to do. He had never seen his partner so depressed.

"Wormmon?" Ken asked one night, while looking at the sky outside his window, about a week after he had gotten home.

"Yes?" Wormmon replied.

"Could you take me up to the roof to see the stars?"

Wormmon nodded and digivolved to Stingmon and they flew to the top of the apartment building. Almost every night, Ken and Yolei would meet, either on his roof top or hers, and look at the stars. Yolei was the one who had taught him how to wish on a shooting start. Ken looked up at the sky. He knew no matter how many times he wished, Yolei wouldn?t come back. Despite that, he looked up and wished. Wished for Yolei. He stood there for the longest time, just staring at the stars, tears silently rolling down his cheeks. After a while, he heard footsteps behind him and turned around to see who it was.

"Yolei?" Ken could hardly believe his eyes and ran towards Yolei, embracing her in a hug. "What happened? Where were you?"

"I just got home," she said. "I remember falling down in all the confusion. Someone carried me out. I don't know who it was, but who ever they were, I?m thankful for them. At the hospital, I couldn't remember who I was, I had amnesia. I couldn't speak English too well, either. I was so lost until I saw your picture in the paper. There was an article on you. I remembered, and now I'm home."

"I'm so glad you're here. Yolei, I love you." without waiting for a response, Ken leaned over and kissed Yolei. In that eternity of a second, Ken felt happiness like never before. And he realized, wishes really do come true.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
you like? yes no? maybe so? please tell me what you think of the fic! and, if you didjn't like it, can you tell me where you htink I need to improve? that would be GREAT! :) thanks!